X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 11 - Robin Williams

"My first day as a woman and I'm getting hot-voting flashes"

Robin Williams

We're back and the judgment resumes. This time we bounce back into action with Robin Williams filmography
    Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time.
    Popeye
    0%
    The World According to Garp
    0%
    The Survivors
    0%
    Moscow on the Hudson
    0%
    The Best of Times
    0%
    Club Paradise
    0%
    Seize the Day
    0%
    Good Morning, Vietnam
    0%
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
    0%
    Dead Poets Society
    0%
    Cadillac Man
    0%
    Awakenings
    0%
    Dead Again
    0%
    The Fisher King
    0%
    Hook
    0%
    FernGully: The Last Rainforest
    0%
    Aladdin
    0%
    Toys
    0%
    Mrs Doubtfire
    0%
    Being Human
    0%
    Nine Months
    0%
    Jumanji
    0%
    The Birdcage
    0%
    Jack
    0%
    Aladdin and the King of Thieves
    0%
    Hamlet
    0%
    Father's Day
    0%
    Deconstructing Harry
    0%
    Flubber
    0%
    Good Will Hunting
    0%
    What Dreams May Come
    0%
    Patch Adams
    0%
    Jakob the Liar
    0%
    Bicentennial Man
    0%
    AI: Artifical Intelligence
    0%
    One Hour Photo
    0%
    Death to Smoochy
    0%
    Insomnia
    0%
    The Final Cut
    0%
    House of D
    0%
    Robots
    0%
    The Big White
    0%
    The Night Listener
    0%
    RV: Runaway Vacation
    0%
    Man of the Year
    0%
    Happy Feet
    0%
    Night at the Museum
    0%
    License to Wed
    0%
    August Rush
    0%
    World's Greatest Dad
    0%
    Shrink
    0%
    Night at the Museum 2
    0%
    Old Dogs
    0%
    Happy Feet 2
    0%
    The Big Wedding
    0%
    The Butler
    0%
    The Face of Love
    0%
    Boulevard
    0%
    Night at the Museum 3: Secret of the Tomb
    0%
    Absolutely Anything
    0%

I've seen an embarrassingly small number of those films.

He was amazing as the Genie and loads of the fun things, but he was on fire in Good Will hunting. It totally depended on its cast, but as one of his beardy sensible roles he was amazing. "It's not your fault" send shivers just thinking about it.

He was good in One Hour Photo too, pushing the boundaries of what he can do.

Comment

I've not seen loads, nor am I his greatest fan, but Good Will Hunting and Mrs Doubtfire are standouts for me. He is amazing in Good Will Hunting, and the film is very good indeed, despite it being made by a couple of upstarts But Mrs Doubtfire has the tenderness and the comedy ... and it's a bit of a family fave ... so it's getting my vote.

Comment

Will have to really think about this one.

Good Will we saw him in a brilliant serious role, Doubtfire was fun and meaningful, I couldn't get through One Hour Photo as I found him just TOO creepy. Jumanji and Hook were childhood classics and I genuinely liked Bicentennial Man even if it was super smulchy...

I went with Good Will Hunting...
        Last edited by Blobcat; 08-08-2018, 12:41.

Comment

Good Will Hunting. No contest.

Comment

Your missing The Angriest Man in Brooklyn, which considering the subject matter of the film, makes what he did relevant.

Comment

I not only missed it but hadn't heard of it. The synopsis sounds like good Williams material but the reviews are scathing.

Williams was one of those actors who would do a range of film types and roles but I felt as a viewer I had to gloss over the comedian part of his personality as he never fully could. In most roles he is himself for the most part but whether light or dark as a film I'd run with it because he was so damned likeable.

Comment

Such a hard one because as SF says, he's so damn likeable.
                Hook was a big movie in my early teenage years, and Mrs doubtfire has some of his best lines, "it was a run by fruiting" and "broke my bag the bastard" are lines that if they fit the current convo, I still quote them whenever I can to anyone.
                Jumanji I didn't watch until my early 20s, I really wish I watched it when I was younger though as when I did get round to seeing it I felt like I really missed out on it. Still it's a great movie though.

Comment

The Fisher King, off that list. And it was quite the tragic role, Emo-Williams.

I thought Dead Poets' Society was revelatory back in the 8-9 but it clearly was Emo-Williams in action.

I just never found him funny. He seemed to be famous for being some amazing zany cokehead genius and I just think nah, nah. Nah nah nah. Naaaaaaaah.

My final enduring memory of him is of his strange, Hutchence-similarish suicide. Apparently due to the depression caused by the Atlas-style weight of his comedy genius always atop the breadth of his shoulders. But why would you sit behind a doorknob and awkwardly hang yourself with your own belt with your trousers off??

It's a mysterious situation. Bang on.

I am very interested in seeing What Dreams May Come and Bicentennial Man, I hear they are very vivid and weird of chock full of sugary sweet Emo-Williams.

Comment

Mercedes Ruehl in The Fisher King. She roxxorzed me boxxorz back in the 9-1, jeezis...

Comment

Bicentennial Man is an odd one, its too sugary for its own good really but What Dreams May Come is a much more sombre affair. The visuals have aged but there's a few nice ideas in there.

After he died, sometime later it emerged that shortly before he killed himself Williams had been diagnosed with a rapid onset of Parkinsons. Given his mindset, history and approach to life those around him seem to think he couldn't cope with the idea of not being able to continue doing the things that had kept him from going too over the edge in the past. It makes a kind of sense but its still an odd choice of exit like you say.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Mercedes Ruehl in The Fisher King. She roxxorzed me boxxorz back in the 9-1, jeezis...
                        Yeah?

Name me two things you liked about her in The Fisher king?

Comment

Working...
                        X