Retro|Spective 51: San Francisco Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 51: San Francisco Rush

We're back and once again roaring through the streets with another racer series.

Mainline Entry 01 - San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
    Formats: Arcade, Nintendo 64, Playstation, PC, Playstation 2, Xbox and Gamecube
    The original arcade release featured three courses through the streets of San Francisco with players able to control one of eight racers. Delivering an arcade style experience, the game was ported to most main systems across two generations of hardware and also received two direct expansion editions. After the original release came the N64 home port that added three more cars and four new tracks in addition to adding new shortcuts, all of these were carried over to the next revision that came to arcades under the subtitle The Rock: Alcatraz Edition which also added the now finished prison island track and another four cars. This was eventually followed by a small revision with the added moniker of Wave Net that added online racing.

Mainline Entry 02 - Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
    Formats: Nintendo 64
    Despite the wide exposure the original enjoyed for a long time, the sequel came only to one console. In large it was a port of the Rock: Alcatraz Edition but it cut the first games original three tracks and replaced them with new ones marking key US cities to offer wider variety. On top of this it contained the series entire car roster and some new additions and was well received despite its limited release.

Mainline Entry 03 - San Francisco Rush 2049
    Formats: Arcade, Nintendo 64, Gameboy Color and Dreamcast
    The series returned to PC with the third game which flung the setting back to San Fran but this time with a future bend. Featuring four new courses with a redesigned future Alcatraz returnee, the game replaced most of the cars and was the first major shake up the series had enjoyed. The arcade version received two lowly distributed updates called Tournament Edition and Special Edition which added fixes and two more courses to the game. Gameplay wise the focus remained the usual arcade high speed action but this time the cars could sprout wings in the home ports that came into play more so with shortcuts and in stunt modes.

Mainline Entry 04 - LA Rush
    Formats: Playstation 2, Xbox, PC, Gizmondo and Playstation Portable
    The fourth game attempted to reboot the series with a new setting, a plot and a much calmer style. It varied a lot from the previous games and featured an open world design that was a popular choice at the time. Due to the large changes and the execution the game was the first really poorly received entry and the series effectively died at this point with no new games since.

Share your thoughts and memories on experiencing the Rush

This got a PSP release? What was it called?

Comment

I remember thinking the N64 version was pretty poor. The main issue I had with it, is the cars feel like concrete blocks to control. I can sort of see that the developer wanted to create a fun racer, but I didn't enjoy it. It's a long time since I've played the Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast, but I remember thinking it was quite a bland game and not fun enough to grab my attention. I might check out LA Rush on the Xbox.

Comment

First n64 one was superb. Played it to bits

Comment

The PSP version was an altered version of LA Rush and they stripped the title back a little and just called it Rush

This is another one of those series you could imagine someone like Raw Thrills knocking out a sequel for

Comment

Clue for next weeks entry:

Clue - The Artist Formally Known As...

Comment

Prince of Persia?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                The PSP version was an altered version of LA Rush and they stripped the title back a little and just called it Rush

This is another one of those series you could imagine someone like Raw Thrills knocking out a sequel for
                Thanks. (ducks off to Amazon)

Comment

I played the first game quite a bit on N64 when it came out, good fun and loads of hidden areas/keys to find around each track. Music was awful though. Seem to remember CVG magazine slating the game at the time due to the vehicle handling being heavy.

Comment

My only experience with this series is via a DC cover disc demo for San Francisco Rush 2049. It's not much to go but what I played was amazing.

Wasn't aware it came out on PC, thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Prince of Persia?
                      Indeed

Comment

Working...
                      X