Raspberry pi help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry pi help.

Well, as was pretty much guaranteed, I'm struggling with this. Have the image downloaded on to a 64GB card, all loads up fine, but I'm ****ed if I can get it to recognise and controller properly. I've tried 8bitdo, DS3, DS4, arcade sticks etc. The directions work initially, but as soon as I load anything nothing works. If I enter any menus it does the same.

Already close to throwing it at the wall.

These things are always half arsed implementations that barely function sadly mate. Not in a position to help at the moment but if you are happy to wait a few weeks I intend to set the same system up myself so I can make a crib sheet for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post

I bought my Raspberry Pi 3B with a card already set up, because I also imagined it might drive me nuts trying to set things up, simply because I seem terrible at techie stuff.

And even though everything was working fine, I clicked on something that seemingly ruined things, so I had to work out how to get it back to normal. You can change one setting and everything becomes a nightmare. But I gradually - after what must be hours of stress - got some idea about how Retropie etc.. works, so I have things as I want them and won't be messing about with it anymore. And even then - some games don't work, such as OutRun, Darius Gaiden, and some other arcades games etc... So I'm only 90% happy with it.

I think you have to boot into something called 'EmulationStation' to configure a USB controller. My set up is configured for a SNES pad, but I don't know how to change the settings for other controllers.

I have heard that your model[3B+] has compatibility problems with images made for the previous 3B model. So maybe that's the problem? I hope someone more knowledgeable can help you to get things up and running, as the Pi does a great job with emulating 8 & 16 bit consoles and making them look nice. It just takes a time and patience to get your head around how everything works.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-08-2018, 11:56.

Comment

Well, as was pretty much guaranteed, I'm struggling with this. Have the image downloaded on to a 64GB card, all loads up fine, but I'm ****ed if I can get it to recognise and controller properly. I've tried 8bitdo, DS3, DS4, arcade sticks etc. The directions work initially, but as soon as I load anything nothing works. If I enter any menus it does the same.

Retroarch and controller setup is a proper cnut and that (sort of) extends to the Pi, depending on who has set it up. You'll hear me rant about it on my video when I set up my CRT PC and the 5 hours it took before I started from scratch. I had to setup individual instances of every emulator to get the controls working properly. It basically works on the premise you'll use one pad for everything, er....probably not.

Anyway...

What are you using, is it Lakka, RetroPie etc.? It should ask you to configure controls at the start. Newer RP images I found pick up my 8bitdo Snes pad well, anything else doesn't, so I stuck to a Buffalo pad. Do you have a USB keyboard connected? If so launch a game and F1 into the RGUI menu. You should check settings/input to see if there is anything listed. Retroarch has a habit or not initially recognising a pad etc. so set it up via keyboard by pushing left or right on the device menu within Retroarch. I've jumped around a bit there, but if you can let me know what you're using I can hopefully sort it.
        Last edited by Escape-To-88; 11-08-2018, 15:54.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I’ll try and have a mess around with it today if we’re not busy, will need to go buy a keyboard first to let me access menus and stuff, we only have MacBook pro’s, no desktops.

Comment

Right, I'm getting somewhere here. By switching to emulation station it let me set up a pad. I seem to be figuring out the menus, but I seem to be having to change the aspect ratio, shaders etc on every individual game, is this normal? (Also shader scanlines don't seem to save when exiting the game and restarting)

Comment

Managed to get the settings to save for most systems apart from Neo geo. Now I need to figure out how to add more systems/games! (And remove the crap I don’t want)

This little thing is amazing though!

Comment

They truly are. I saw last night a guy has a PI Zero emulating a 6502 CoProcessor in a BBC Master system. THe Zero is connected directly to the exact pins that would have been used originally! This means running Elite at a higher framerate is possible on original Master System hardware but without sourcing a real CoPro. Even more impressive is the Zero can be used as an ARM CoProcessor, allowing the Archimedes version of BASIC to be run on a Master System! I think the Zeros cost about £7. HAMAZE!

Comment

Good you got it up and running! They are great, although they struggle on the decent shaders and it's really Retroarch doing all the work. You can save shader pre-game in the shader menu and also alter each shader under the shader parameters options. You can save everything per core or per game, the quick menu and the main settings menu are (kind of) two different beasts and one doesn't always work in conjunction with the other as smoothly as it should.

Comment

If I could just figure how to add a PS emu with harmful park and Zanac x Zanac, as well as PCE CD games I’d be delighted with this thing.

Comment

You need the PSX bios files, they are available witha quick google search Put them in the system folder on the Pi. Put the .cue and .bin of Harmful Park in your PSX roms folder. Away you go.

Comment

Now, I might be a bit dopey here. I took the card out of the Pi and plugged it in to my macbook, but I couldn't see any folders etc on the card with ROM's/BIOS or anything else, despite it being a 64Gb absolutely rammed with games, am I going to need to use a PC?

Some enterprising soul should start offering custom card builds on here, I don't want half the crap that's on the card now!

Comment

Now, I might be a bit dopey here. I took the card out of the Pi and plugged it in to my macbook, but I couldn't see any folders etc on the card with ROM's/BIOS or anything else, despite it being a 64Gb absolutely rammed with games, am I going to need to use a PC?

Some enterprising soul should start offering custom card builds on here, I don't want half the crap that's on the card now!
                          Your not!

I thought exactly the same thing until a few helpful souls on here explained that you can only access the folders via a network.

Put the SD card back into the Pi
                          Plug a network cable direct to the Pi from your router
                          Access it via your network on the mac
                          Last edited by dyer60; 12-08-2018, 16:48.

Comment

Or you can download this: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/ (think that's the right link there are tow very similar)

Windows 10: http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

Let's you access (read and write) linux partitions on Mac and PC. I've used it on both and it's a wonderful little tool. On my Linux arcade build I use an older Groovyarcade build which refuses to let you see the IP address, you can imagine how fun it was guessing that until I downloaded the above.
                            Last edited by Escape-To-88; 12-08-2018, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                              Or you can download this: https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/ (think that's the right link there are tow very similar)

Windows 10: http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

Let's you access (read and write) linux partitions on Mac and PC. I've used it on both and it's a wonderful little tool. On my Linux arcade build I use an older Groovyarcade build which refuses to let you see the IP address, you can imagine how fun it was guessing that until I downloaded the above.
                              Top tip!

EDIT: Didn't work mind you, I'm not going to mess about with anything else in case I muck it all up!
                              Last edited by Colin; 12-08-2018, 17:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X