Dreamcast Reset Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast Reset Problem

I bought a spare Japanese Dreamcast. When I was using it yesterday, it reset when I was playing a game. I thought it must be a problem with the game, but then it happened again with another game. So then I tried to work out what was happening. I discovered that when I touch the lid when a disc is inserted, it resets the machine. Even a slight vibration near the Dreamcast can be enough to reset the machine. Without a disc inserted it doesn't happen.

Is this a common problem? Can it be fixed?

It's caused by a poor connection between the motherboard and PSU.

I used to solve it by connecting the lines directly, would be happy to perform that mod if you'd like a permanent solution. Just makes dissembling ever so slightly more awkward.

You can also try bending the pins a little, I suppose. That never did much for me though.

Comment

The pin bending did work for me on this, I used a chopstick. Mmmonkey has a good page on simple fixes here:

I've had this problem a few times over the years. One time it was also that I had a massive dust bunny clogging the 'trigger' that tells whether the drive is open or not. Getting rid of that fixed it.

The good news is that disassembling a Dreamcast is extremely easy so it shouldn't take you long to have a go at fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        The pin bending did work for me on this, I used a chopstick. Mmmonkey has a good page on simple fixes here:

I've had this problem a few times over the years. One time it was also that I had a massive dust bunny clogging the 'trigger' that tells whether the drive is open or not. Getting rid of that fixed it.

The good news is that disassembling a Dreamcast is extremely easy so it shouldn't take you long to have a go at fixing it.
        this is a great fix - just make sure the pins are bent the correct way.

Comment

Yeah, I've had this twice. Both times it was the lid trigger.

Comment

This happened to me when I bought a new USA Dreamcast years back. The power LED was flickering slightly, and very occasionally the machine would reset. Took the lid off and pressed down a little on the area where the PSU connects to the motherboard and it shifted down into place, looked like it had just worked a little loose during shipping or something along those lines.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, it should be an easy fix. Maybe clean the pins with some isopropyl alcohol also.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              It's caused by a poor connection between the motherboard and PSU.

would be happy to perform that mod if you'd like a permanent solution.
              If I can't fix the problem, I would definitely like you to do the mod. Thanks for the offer.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              One time it was also that I had a massive dust bunny clogging the 'trigger' that tells whether the drive is open or not. Getting rid of that fixed it.
              I hope that's the problem. I will open the DC up and take a look.

Comment

I opened up the Dreamcast and hoovered it a bit, even though it looked clean. After I put it back together, I loaded a game and tapped the lid really hard all over, and it didn't reset. So somehow the problem is now fixed.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out!

I had two DCs that reset differently.

My UK one would hard reset(so the boot-up animation would play, and then the game would load) until I bent the pins. It was ok after that.

Some years later, I built a Frankenstein JP one using parts from different faulty consoles. It would occasionally soft reset to the DC menu (boot-up screen would be static like when you turn it on without a disc inserted). Turns out it was because the GD-ROM drive was from a different model and wasn't sitting properly on that metal shield platform. It was misaligned by a teeny tiny amount but that was enough to trigger the resets. When I used the shield from the drive's original console, the problem went away.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                    I built a Frankenstein JP one using parts from different faulty consoles.

I'm glad vacuuming inside fixed the problem, without having to mess about with bits & pieces.

Comment

Working...
                    X