General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    Man, I remember when you could buy these for a tenner from HK brand new. Of course I don't own any of those anymore...
    €20. It's one of these:

Maybe not the same as what you two are thinking of. This one has a slightly more raised d-pad, but can be switched between dinput and xinput, should I ever need that.

I might look into the 8bitdo M30 2.4GHz next. My favourite pads are by far the SFC/SNES, but it doesn't hurt to have a selection on offer for the various cores, or for when I have guests. There's also the nostalgia factor - I used to spend my early teens playing the Saturn ports of the KOF games, so it's going to be really nice playing the Neo core with the above pad.
    Last edited by dataDave; 03-03-2021, 11:56.

Comment

Oh no, these were proper SEGA Logistics Systems pads, not Retro-bit products.

Comment

Question; for those using a Pi or similar, what controllers do you use?

As a full, no-fuss MISTER solution is still a couple of years away, I'm thinking of getting a Pi4 for my TV to duplicate the functionality of my RG-351M. But I'm trying to think about what controllers I would get, as I want something ideally wireless, where I can have 2 controllers permanently set up for it - but, and this is the kicker, the ability to plug them into the unit in certain situations. Kinda like how the 360 wireless controllers worked.

Has anyone here used a Pi4 with PS4 controllers? How well do those work? Only problem is that those are quite expensive and I really don't want to use my actual PS4 controllers, because you'll have to pair them when you want to use it, which is bound to be a faff, and then the PS4 will turn on, and I'll have to change the channel on the TV, and before you know it a quick game of Art of Fighting has become 20 minutes of trying to get the controllers to work.

I know RetroBit make a bunch of stuff; maybe one of those?

EDIT: These have quite a good writeup, and don't need an extra receiver:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ND166P6/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_1_dp

Thinking now, I'd need the Pi unit, 2 controllers, but also one of the cases and adaptors that lets you use a HDD with it, because I'd like a lot of space. Hmmm...
        Last edited by Asura; 03-03-2021, 22:36.

Comment

If you want something that feels retro but with modern QoL additions such as wireless capability, I’d go with either the M30 or Retro-bit 2.4ghz options. I use a Retro-bit MD pad and although it’s great the shoulder buttons do not have enough travel for my liking. That doesn’t bother me as I use it for my real MD and MD Mini, but if I wanted to play other platforms which used shoulder buttons then I’d probably err more towards the Saturn variants.
          Last edited by samanosuke; 04-03-2021, 09:02.

Comment

I'm supposed to be building a joystick with April's spending budget, but I think I'm going to grab an M30 before they end up discontinued, and thus rocketing in value.

Comment

Definitely want the 2.4g option when it comes to lantecy. Link.

Still not decided what controller I want for my Analogue Pocket but this is high up the list.

Comment

Bluetooth is wank. I'd rather spend my precious time on another hobby entirely.

Comment

Frankly I'm just annoyed that you no longer seem to be able to buy a SN30 pad with the SNES/SFC "retro receiver" as a bundle.

Comment

if people want to look there is a unreleased Atomiswave Arcade game that was ripped and converted to work with Dreamcast emulator...game is called Kenju

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      Frankly I'm just annoyed that you no longer seem to be able to buy a SN30 pad with the SNES/SFC "retro receiver" as a bundle.
                      That bundle was for the Bluetooth variant which is wank. They do a 2.4ghz version for original consoles now - perplexingly they only did 2.4ghz versions for the SNES Classic before.

Edit: crap, the 2.4ghz models are showing as “unavailable” now. I sure hope it’s a case of shortages due to covid and they’ve not been discontinued. They only launched the product a year ago...
                      Last edited by samanosuke; 22-03-2021, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                        That bundle was for the Bluetooth variant which is wank. They do a 2.4ghz version for original consoles now - perplexingly they only did 2.4ghz versions for the SNES Classic before.

Edit: crap, the 2.4ghz models are showing as “unavailable” now. I sure hope it’s a case of shortages due to covid and they’ve not been discontinued. They only launched the product a year ago...
                        After some investigation it does unfortunately seem that the 8bitdo SNES pads are discontinued thanks to a possible lawsuit filed by Nintendo.

I’ve found a solution...

An adapter to use Classic controller (and NES/SNES Classic edition controllers) on an original SNES

This adapter will be back in stock in May. Couple it with the 2.4ghz SN30 for SNES Classic and hey presto, a 2.4ghz wireless controller for the original SNES.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          After some investigation it does unfortunately seem that the 8bitdo SNES pads are discontinued thanks to a possible lawsuit filed by Nintendo.

I’ve found a solution...

An adapter to use Classic controller (and NES/SNES Classic edition controllers) on an original SNES

This adapter will be back in stock in May. Couple it with the 2.4ghz SN30 for SNES Classic and hey presto, a 2.4ghz wireless controller for the original SNES.
                          Are you sure on the the 2.4Ghz pads are still in stock in the UK??

Comment

Originally posted by lettuce View Post
                            Are you sure on the the 2.4Ghz pads are still in stock in the UK??
                            The ones for the SNES Classic are, yes:

These can be used in conjunction with the adaptor I linked to if you want to use them with an original SNES.

The 2.4ghz pads for the original SNES do appear to be discontinued due to a lawsuit. In fact it is rumoured all the SNES style pads have been pulled so it could be that the Classic versions are just old stock yet to sell.

Edit: changed link as I think the original linked to dodgy knockoffs. Hope nobody ordered any :/
                            Last edited by samanosuke; 23-03-2021, 07:59.

Comment

This is a fork of the Dolphin Emulator that supports the Oculus Rift (CV1 and DK2), HTC Vive, and (optionally) the Razer Hydra. Dolphin is an emulator for the Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo Wii, which can also play Wii Virtual Console games. 3D Games can be played in Virtual Reality with accurate life-size scale, full FOV,…

Has anyone tried Dolphin VR?
                              Only just found out it's a thing but the potential for VR Metroid Prime seems amazing. The last update was years ago but there are recent youtube vids of people playing it recently

Comment

Really!? Metroid prime in vr sounds amazing. Will try it

Comment

Working...
                                X