No announcement yet.

General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. They don't put those heroes in Panini sticker albums.

Comment

Anybody know much about Dolphin?

I have a basic gaming PC which I use to play legal game dumps of my own games at 3 x internal resolution with a mayflash dolphin bar. The spec is as follows:

I3 7100 CPU (3.9ghz)
      1050 TI GPU
      8GB RAM

To get even better performance from Dolphin & maybe use some of the HD Textures I think I need to upgrade the CPU. I was considering an I5 7600 (3.5 ghz) but have 2 questions:

1) Will the lower base clock give me worse performance as I understand that Dolphin just uses 2 cores/
      2) The I5 can turbo boost up to 4.1ghz, can Dolphin utilise this boost?

Last edited by paulus; 04-10-2018, 14:08.

Comment

Calling @EscapeTo88

He's our resident Dolphin master I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by paulus View Post
          Anybody know much about Dolphin?

I have a basic gaming PC which I use to play legal game dumps of my own games at 3 x internal resolution with a mayflash dolphin bar. The spec is as follows:

I3 7100 CPU (3.9ghz)
          1050 TI GPU
          8GB RAM

To get even better performance from Dolphin & maybe use some of the HD Textures I think I need to upgrade the CPU. I was considering an I5 7600 (3.5 ghz) but have 2 questions:

1) Will the lower base clock give me worse performance as I understand that Dolphin just uses 2 cores/
          2) The I5 can turbo boost up to 4.1ghz, can Dolphin utilise this boost?

I can probably drop a better answer later, but unless anything has changed recently Dolphin mainly cares about single core speed. When you say 'better performance' what frame rates are you getting with certain games/texture packs?
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I'm getting some minor "pre gameplay sound stutter" but it sorts itself out when the action starts? Graphically there's very smooth gameplay with even the harder to emulate games e.g SMG 1+2 @ 3x internal resolution. However I'd like to jump up from 720P Res to 1080P and turn on lots of the CPU intensive enhancements. Not tried any texture packs yet.

It seems Dolphin quite likes my high clockspeed dual core CPU and Im worried that upgrading to a more expensive i5 or i7 could actually make Dolphin less effective?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Question to all:

Do you think about whether you can justify playing a game you haven't paid for? Or do you not even think about it? If you do think about it what criteria do you use to justify your decisions?
              This isn't even a theoretical conundrum for me, because I have to actually discuss such things with my wife.

Her concern is more about my going to prison(Japan is pretty darn strict about piracy) but it still means I can't simply download something and play it

We got a Wii a few years ago and I bought a couple of cheap games but downloaded others. I also bought a Wii-U recently and have bought three games on it(SM3D and W101, and DS Brain Training for hacking!), but I downloaded MK8, Nintendoland and a few others. I do think it's wrong and I can't really justify it at all.

If it's a retro game, my conscience is a bit clearer. I feel more guilty about playing a retro ROM that's available to buy in some form, even if it's at a silly price. I don't go on about how I'm not losing the company any money etc etc, but I'm still playing a game I don't have the legal right to play.

Comment

Amazing that we have people in this thread actually trying to justify nicking new, current games. Mad.

Comment

I'm getting some minor "pre gameplay sound stutter" but it sorts itself out when the action starts? Graphically there's very smooth gameplay with even the harder to emulate games e.g SMG 1+2 @ 3x internal resolution. However I'd like to jump up from 720P Res to 1080P and turn on lots of the CPU intensive enhancements. Not tried any texture packs yet.

It seems Dolphin quite likes my high clockspeed dual core CPU and Im worried that upgrading to a more expensive i5 or i7 could actually make Dolphin less effective?
                  What speed is your CPU clocked at? Stuttering at the start can be normal on some revisions of Dolphin. Which build/version are you using? Perhaps try the Ishiiruka branch. If you give me exact specs I can help further. I'd recommend graphics packs over upping the resolution if that were the choice.
                  3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I have a 3.9hz dual core i3, I'm using the latest Dolphin development build.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Amazing that we have people in this thread actually trying to justify nicking new, current games. Mad.
                      I'm playing devil's avocado, but when I pointed out earlier in the thread that roms were openly for sale on the forum, in direct contravention of the trading rules, no one batted an eye lid, mods included.

And to think, the mods used to get their knickers in a right twist if anyone posted scans of Famitsu or whatever.
                      Last edited by endo; 07-10-2018, 23:02.

Comment

I'm getting some minor "pre gameplay sound stutter" but it sorts itself out when the action starts?
                        That stutter will be down to the emulator and compatibility. Dolphin is no where near 100% yet so you have to expect stutters and other stuff now and again.
                        Your PC is more than enough to run Dolphin
                        It wouldn't surprise me if you are still using the OpenGL backend as that is the default (or at least it used to be) You could try changing it to Vulkan for better performance. Or DX11 if you are on windows, but it's not as well optimized as Vulkan.

Comment

Yep on windows, using DX11

Comment

Here’s a thing. So I’m going to put an accelerator into my Amiga 2000. I could put a 68030 in there, or I could put a vampire card in. The vampire is an FPGA implementation of a 68000 based processor and is massively quicker than and real 68060 even. But, at that point I’m basically running an emulator aren’t I? I mean they’re talking about putting AGA support in there, emulating custom chips. I may as well get a mist FPGA box. Am I overthinking this?

Comment

From what I’ve seen of the Vampire, they may as well have gone the whole way and made it a stand-alone system. It seems to take over from so much of the original hardware that you’re not really running an Amiga anymore.

Comment

So does anyone have any opinions on the GPD XD Plus

Looking at one of these for Dreamcast emulation

Comment

Working...
                                X