General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Emulation Discussions

Didn't want to hijack the Pi thread(s) and there seems to be more and more discussion in the field of emulation lately so I thought this could be a good place to talk about it.

My first question is what spec PC do I need to emulate up to and including Playstation 2 titles at close to 100%?

I was going to use an rPi but I know that probably stops short of what I want and I have a spare mini pc that I'm prepared to upgrade in order to get it to do my bidding! So, what CPU, RAM and GPU should I be looking for really?

Thanks.

I may well be wrong but it always seemed to depend on each game and how much they pushed the PC and the emulator when it came to PS2. My old GTX770 ran an awful lot of them at 1080p/60fps though and was reasonably solid all the way up to running Cemu as well so for the most part these days whatever you go for should do fine.

Comment

My specs are:
      i7 2600k O/C'ed at 4.5ghz
      GTX 1060 6gb SC

And it tears through everything at 6-8x native resolutions, so 4K-ish. Katamri I can get over 10x native res, Tekken 5 runs perfectly at 6X the PS2 native res for example. My £75 business Dell machine which has an old i5 in an an old Radeon 5450 runs most things fine native res, but struggles with some of the later 3D stuff - GOW, SOTC etc. As far as I'm aware Radeon GPUs used to have more issues than Nvidia stuff.

There's a 3 core speed up option which was implemented a while ago so that's a nice bonus!

Let me know whats specs you're thinking of mate. I can also test anything you want as have my entire US and JP library ripped

It's largely about single core speed and a semi-decent GPU, although my old Twin Frozr ran everything perfectly well at 1080p and in some cases above.
      Last edited by Escape-To-88; 16-08-2018, 12:51.
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I'm running an i5-4690 at 3.5Ghz and a GTX970. can run PS2, Wii, GC etc. at 1080p full speed with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          My specs are:
          i7 2600k O/C'ed at 4.5ghz
          GTX 1060 6gb SC

And it tears through everything at 6-8x native resolutions, so 4K-ish. Katamri I can get over 10x native res, Tekken 5 runs perfectly at 6X the PS2 native res for example. My £75 business Dell machine which has an old i5 in an an old Radeon 5450 runs most things fine native res, but struggles with some of the later 3D stuff - GOW, SOTC etc. As far as I'm aware Radeon GPUs used to have more issues than Nvidia stuff.

There's a 3 core speed up option which was implemented a while ago so that's a nice bonus!

Let me know whats specs you're thinking of mate. I can also test anything you want as have my entire US and JP library ripped

It's largely about single core speed and a semi-decent GPU, although my old Twin Frozr ran everything perfectly well at 1080p and in some cases above.
          Cheers Paul.

It needs to fit in a Streacom FC5 case and I want to use the heat pipes rather than a regular cooler (pipes run all the way round a milled aluminium case that has fins on the sides so the whole case is one massive heatsink. So, I was thinking:

Micro ATX Motherboard
          2 x 4GB DDR4 memory
          Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with the built-in GPU

That spec comes to £310

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Cheers Paul.

It needs to fit in a Streacom FC5 case and I want to use the heat pipes rather than a regular cooler (pipes run all the way round a milled aluminium case that has fins on the sides so the whole case is one massive heatsink. So, I was thinking:

Micro ATX Motherboard
            2 x 4GB DDR4 memory
            Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with the built-in GPU

That spec comes to £310
            I think Ryzen CPUs have issues mate, at least they did have with Dolphin and PCSX2. Might be worth looking this up, there's a wealth of info online.

Comment

Noted. I think the current line of Ryzens have solved this but I'll deffo check it out. All things being equal the issue of heat might be a deciding factor given I want to use passive cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Noted. I think the current line of Ryzens have solved this but I'll deffo check it out. All things being equal the issue of heat might be a deciding factor given I want to use passive cooling.
                If you can get this working well let me know bud as would be interested. My next step now I have a CRT emu PC setup, a CRT Pi setup, an arcade cab and current gen PC emulation setup is to make a living room PC setup. I was thinking about the Lazer 3D case as it looks lovely but the Streamcom case of yours is a belter.

Might be worth going over to Small Form Factor Forums to see if they have any advice?

Also, not sure if you've seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YYZXtYqPE
                Last edited by Escape-To-88; 16-08-2018, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                  I think Ryzen CPUs have issues mate, at least they did have with Dolphin and PCSX2. Might be worth looking this up, there's a wealth of info online.
                  I have a Ryzen 2200G as a media and emulation box, it has absolutely no problems running Dolphin or PCSX2.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I have a Ryzen 2200G as a media and emulation box, it has absolutely no problems running Dolphin or PCSX2.
                    Interesting. I know there were issues pre-Ryzen, or perhaps it's how AMd deals with OGL, can't say I've used an AMD CPU in a long time so was going from what I'd read. Is it any good for standard gaming? And how does something like SOTC run?
                    Last edited by Escape-To-88; 16-08-2018, 17:53.

Comment

I've not done any general gaming on it as I have an i7 and GTX1080 for that, but Ryzen generally doesn't bottleneck modern graphics cards - they are excellent processors, they're just a tiny bit behind on IPC compared to intel. The 2400G will run Battlefield 1 with the integrated GPU at well over 60 FPS so long as you're not expecting ultra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0cxIRp8Q0g

I haven't tried SotC either, so can't say on that one - edit: have now and that would be far better than it ever did on the PS2.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 16-08-2018, 21:16.

Comment

Holy crap! That is impressive. Thanks chaps.

Comment

I have a SFF i5 4460 PC with a low profile GeForce 750 GTX and a Samsung SSD for fast loading. Got the whole thing for a bargain price a while back.

Anyway, it runs 3DO games perfectly using 4DO. PlayStation games are a breeze. I haven't tested it with GameCube and PS2 games, but I'm hoping it will run them perfectly, seeing I don't want to use any special graphic filters. I'll just bump the res up to something like 1920x1200 and add scanlines.

I'm gradually adding games that I know I like, or appeal to me. So it will take a while to finalise things, but it's fun putting it all together.
                          Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-08-2018, 14:11.

Comment

I recently made an emulation set-up for my Sony Trinitron CRT. The Pi/Wii/OGXbox just doesn’t cut imo, a cheap pc is leagues ahead and give you so much more flexibility.

My current hardware setup:
                            Dell Optiplex 3050
                            4gb ram
                            Radeon HD6540

And it’s plugged into my CRT via a VGA->Scart lead, and the PC is installed with the CRT_Emudrivers. Imo this gives you the best possible emulation performance outside of the real thing. Using the CRT_Emudrivers gives you native resolution that is indistinguishable from real hardware. And using it in conjunction with Groovymame, gives you the absolute minimal input latency (my MAJOR issue with shi££ing emu solutions.. :/ )

*I also have an AstroCity cab In the corner of he livingroom with Groovymame so this seems kinda pointless, but it makes me slightly more social I guess

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                              I recently made an emulation set-up for my Sony Trinitron CRT. The Pi/Wii/OGXbox just doesn’t cut imo, a cheap pc is leagues ahead and give you so much more flexibility.

My current hardware setup:
                              Dell Optiplex 3050
                              4gb ram
                              Radeon HD6540

And it’s plugged into my CRT via a VGA->Scart lead, and the PC is installed with the CRT_Emudrivers. Imo this gives you the best possible emulation performance outside of the real thing. Using the CRT_Emudrivers gives you native resolution that is indistinguishable from real hardware. And using it in conjunction with Groovymame, gives you the absolute minimal input latency (my MAJOR issue with shi££ing emu solutions.. :/ )

*I also have an AstroCity cab In the corner of he livingroom with Groovymame so this seems kinda pointless, but it makes me slightly more social I guess

I did something similar a few weeks ago with a 3010 and posted a vid on here. I used GM in combination with Retroarch to remove lag all together. As much as I despise RA's input settings the ability to remove all lag across the board is ace. I use BigBox front end with a low res theme so works pretty well. I had a VGA to SCART adapter lying around from Arcadeforge and worth mentioning it gives a mildly better image...ridiculously minor really.
                              Last edited by Escape-To-88; 17-08-2018, 12:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X