No announcement yet.

General Emulation Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] caused me to buy a mega MiSter setup yesterday. Can’t wait to get it and try it all out. Will compare video output via ossc on lcd, commodore 1081 and an acorn multisync crt.

Comment

I bought an 8bitdo M30 Bluetooth today and it’s wonderful.

I was worried about the latency but both the 2.4GHz M30 and Retro-bit 2.4GHz Saturn pads were almost double the price. I figured I could just use the M30 wired if it was bad but it feels like all my other controllers.

I love my USB Saturn pads but, damnit, they need a select button.

The M30 gives me 10 buttons in Xinput mode, and 11 in Dinput/Switch modes - no more using L for ffwd and R for coins!

I can’t wait to finally play Streets of Rage 4 on an MD-style pad

Comment

I simply want two of every half-reputable pad moving forward.

You're right about the Saturn controller. It's lightning-responsive, but sorely missing a select button.

I also can't remember how I used to enjoy Neo fighters on the thing so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          @dataDave caused me to buy a mega MiSter setup yesterday. Can’t wait to get it and try it all out. Will compare video output via ossc on lcd, commodore 1081 and an acorn multisync crt.
          Best thing ever. I don't even use my old consoles anymore. Just use the MiSTer for everything. Tell us what you think when you get it

Comment

I think my M30 in Bluetooth mode is missing the occasional input. It also sometimes keeps an input held for just a tiny bit.

I noticed it with SSF2 during the car smashing bonus stage. I usually just LP dragon punch it until the end but today I missed too many. My Saturn pad managed 100% dragon punches on Friday so I tried the M30 in wired mode and it hasn’t happened since then.

Physically, it feels very close to my Saturn pads.

Comment

It may just be latency, 2.4g seems to be the one to get.

I recently spotted a post by a member of SmokeMonster's Discord by the name of Enforcer that had been doing some input latency (lag) testing on the Krikzz Joyzz 6 button Sega Genesis/Megadrive gamepad. He had just finished testing the 8bitdo M30 2.4g controller when he made a comment that he didn't
              Last edited by speedlolita; 04-04-2021, 18:18.

Comment

Seems odd why they did not test the Retrobit 2.4Ghz as well?

Comment

This test appears to predate those.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                    That bundle was for the Bluetooth variant which is wank. They do a 2.4ghz version for original consoles now - perplexingly they only did 2.4ghz versions for the SNES Classic before.

Edit: crap, the 2.4ghz models are showing as “unavailable” now. I sure hope it’s a case of shortages due to covid and they’ve not been discontinued. They only launched the product a year ago...
                    Just as an update to this, I managed to order one from their AliExpress store last night. They don't ship to the States apparently but I was able to check out no problem here. Using some random promo voucher that popped up the total cost including tax was £19.69. 14 left at the time of writing. Link to the product page: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001219851677.html

Pad should come in handy with the Analogue Pocket (eventually) and should be a nice upgrade from those extremely short SFC controller cables!

Comment

I've got 2x 2.4GHz M30s incoming from them as well. I'm finally fed up with cables enough to give them a chance. 35% same frame probability with the USB variant, so let's see how that pans out.

I'll get a pair of SF ones next month, if I don't notice a difference.

Comment

Also, there's noticeable wear on the RetroBit Saturn pad already. I've been absolutely caning it, but still.

I've configured it for strong attacks on the shoulders. Trying to single-thumb the buttons with games like MSH vs. SF is like typing with one finger. So, I might end up maining a SNES-type pad after all. At least until the joystick situation is resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                          Just as an update to this, I managed to order one from their AliExpress store last night. They don't ship to the States apparently but I was able to check out no problem here. Using some random promo voucher that popped up the total cost including tax was £19.69. 14 left at the time of writing. Link to the product page: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001219851677.html

Pad should come in handy with the Analogue Pocket (eventually) and should be a nice upgrade from those extremely short SFC controller cables!
                          Nice find, shame the SFC colour variants are OOS. I ended up buying a couple of Raphnet adapters which incidentally have just come back into stock, and with these I can connect my 2.4ghz 8bitdo SNES Classic dongles up to my OG SNES.

An adapter to use Classic controller (and NES/SNES Classic edition controllers) on an original SNES

Comment

Jumped on the MiSTer bandwagon this weekend too, which I'm blaming [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION] for . Ultimately I'll get a couple to go in my Egrets to replace my GroovyMame builds if I like it but thought I'd give all the cores and the console stuff a shot first, especially since I only own a Switch console-wise now.

I think I mistook it for another (admittedly accurate) emulation device, then I watched the dude scan in the various Neo-Geo chips and a bunch of other preservation videos and had a lightbulb moment regarding what they are trying to achieve and thought it was worth supporting.
                            Last edited by Escape-To-88; 01-05-2021, 22:15.
                            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Well-known scene and emulator developer Near, previously known also as Byuu, is reported to have passed away, according to a statement made by a close friend. The concerns began yesterday, as Near expressed grief on Twitter at ongoing harassment they'd faced online, stemming from Kiwi Farms, a...

Near/Byuu, one of the developers behind SNES emulator bsnes, is presumed to have died via suicide following online harrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                https://gbatemp.net/threads/near-for...ssment.590587/
                                Near/Byuu, one of the developers behind SNES emulator bsnes, is presumed to have died via suicide following online harrassment.
                                Very, very sad. This message was posted by a close friend:

"At 11:45 on Sunday, I was on a phone call with Near. They’d just taken a large overdose of codeine and guanfancine. I saw a photo of the noose.

30 minutes into the call, Les Voyages De L'âme by Alcest started playing at the other end. I wouldn’t hear their voice again.

“Near took their own life”. That’s how a news article would phrase it. Suicide is a voluntary action, a problem with oneself. Implying nobody is to blame but the victim and perpetrator, one and the same.

But that’s not how human brains work. We are not cold, calculating machines. We are a product of our environment. We are shaped by our experiences. A single, powerful traumatic event can change a person forever. So can a million small ones. This is not a weakness of the mind, it is a fundamental part of what it means to be human.

Near was a brilliant mind in a corner of the web all too often rife with toxicity and harassment. Despite this, they continued to pour their life into the one thing they loved: emulation and retro gaming. Developer of the bsnes, higan, and ares emulators, Near was a relentless force for accuracy in the formerly haphazard world of emulation. Working out the most elusive hardware glitches and corner cases, they advanced the world of SNES emulation by leaps and bounds. They also recently released their ultimate labor of love, a fan translation of Bahamut Lagoon that might well be the most exacting and meticulously crafted language adaptation of a video game of the era.

Near was also an incredibly kind, funny, and welcoming person. I’d known them for several years, but after they moved to Tokyo a few years back we started talking more often. One of the most modest people I’ve ever known, they were unlikely to suggest hanging out in person, but never rejected an offer. I wish I’d done that more often. We’ve had long text conversations, and shared many stories.

Near did not commit suicide. Near was murdered. Victim of a lifetime of harassment. After an abusive childhood, and followed by community toxicity, Near was eventually targeted by Kiwi Farms. Members of that website make a sport of preying on the less fortunate, on those in positions liable to being emotionally abused. And they do so relentlessly. From the comfort of anonymity, of sitting in front of their computer thousands of kilometers away, they take glee in slowly destroying the psyche of others, bit by bit. To death, if possible.

Near survived that. Many wouldn’t, but Near was strong enough to overcome that level of emotional abuse. But Kiwi Farms is relentless. Not to be defeated in their pursuit of utter emotional and psychological destruction, they went after who Near treasured most: their friends. Doxing some, directly harassing others, and even specifically seeking out suicidal people to target.

That broke Near.

After falling down a spiral of depression and eventually breaking off contact with everyone last year, I feared for the worst. Eventually, they were luckily able to get help and found medication that helped them cope with the psychological scars of abuse in late 2020. I first heard from Near again in late October 2020, and we again started having chats. It seemed things were getting better.

Unfortunately, medication can be a fickle beast. It didn’t work forever. The looming threat of Kiwi Farms, of their power to destroy not just Near but also their friends, caused them daily anxiety that just wouldn’t go away. Worried that their friends would feel burdened by their condition again, Near decided to avoid the subject. I only found out about this relapse today.

To the people of Kiwi Farms, this is a videogame. That the people on the other side of the screen are real makes no difference. They delight in the kill counter going up just like an FPS player would. Lacking in any empathy, they have no regard for the damage they inflict on others.

Why do we tolerate this? “Harassment”, “online bullying”. How are these any different from terrorism, from someone grabbing a gun and taking the lives of others? Why does it matter that a physical bullet was not involved? The objective and the end result are the same. Saying Near “took their life” is giving these people an out for their actions, which directly resulted in the intentional death of a person.

Some of you may be aware of Near’s notoriously paranoid opsec. After getting to know them, it became clear this was a defense mechanism; a product of all the abuse they received over their entire life. I was perhaps one of the few lucky enough to exchange deeply personal stories with them, yet I never knew their full name - because I didn’t need to. But they’d have told me if I asked. Near is anything but cold and distant in person; those attributes were necessary façades grown in response to lifelong harassment and abuse.

We, as the internet community, need to take a hard look at what it means to continue to tolerate the existence of these communities and the actions of those in them. Not just Kiwi Farms; sites like that serve to concentrate people like this, but they exist across all communities and social media. Being passive about this problem means being complicit.

DreamHost, you are the Kiwi Farms domain registrar. CloudFlare, you protect Kiwi Farms against attacks. You both share responsibility in not just Near’s death, but also others, as well as the pain and harassment of thousands more. Is this the image you want to maintain? Is the income worth the weight on your conscience?

I last saw Near on June 9. We had sushi in Akihabara, and then sat down for a cup of coffee. I was a bit busy that day, but I was looking forward to inviting them over to hang out again soon.

Les Voyages De L'âme kept playing on repeat at the other end of the call for another hour.

I couldn’t bring myself to hang up.

Published on behalf of a mutual friend of Near and I, who wishes to remain anonymous for their own protection. -marcan
                                "

Comment

Working...
                                X