No announcement yet.

Shenmue 1 & 2 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like an awesome port and a stand up job from Sega. Insert sarcastic face here.

Comment

The japanese version won't be released until November 22. I wonder if Sega knows how terrible this port is and has a different team working on that version (a bit like what happened with the japanese physical release of D&D: Chronicles of Mystara, which was ported by a different team and is superior to the western digital release).

Comment

I REALLY hope they patch it up because I know I’ll end up picking it up at some point. My tolerance for games being released half finished is very low right now. Feels like quality control has dropped across a lot of the games industry. I realise catching bugs is a very tough job and fixing them is time consuming but there needs to be minimum standards met before a game is released. Ranting. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          What on earth were the testers doing?
          I loathe saying this all the time but here I go again: it's highly likely that the people testing this game found many of the bugs reported by users- it's then up to SEGA to decide whether or not they want to spend further time and money fixing those issues before the release goes gold.

I'm really tired of testers being blamed for bugs when practical experience has taught me that bugs finding their way to released builds is usually the fault of poor management. It's doubly frustrating when I've known about this release for the past couple of years and it riles me to think that SEGA have put in an absolute minimum of effort into something that has been on the shelf for this long. It's not as if they had to rush this to release.
          Last edited by Decider-VT; 30-08-2018, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
            I've known about this release for the past couple of years and it riles me to think that SEGA have put in an absolute minimum of effort into something that has been on the shelf for this long. It's not as if they had to rush this to release.
            Ah, interesting. So is this built upon the version of Shenmue that popped up on PartnerNet a few years ago? I'm not sure if that was ever widely known; people seemed to say it was just an indexing error but I always thought there was more to it than that.

Comment

I do remember it coming out that ports had been pretty much completed sometime during the PS3/XB360 era around the time Sega put out Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure etc on digital store fronts and being frustrated they didn't then release them. Sega is one the masters of building and ruining good will in one swoop

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                I do remember it coming out that ports had been pretty much completed sometime during the PS3/XB360 era around the time Sega put out Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure etc on digital store fronts and being frustrated they didn't then release them. Sega is one the masters of building and ruining good will in one swoop
                Yeah; I never got to play those at the time, but I saw their listings on the store. This was on PartnerNet, which is why it wasn't bigger news. I don't know if they were ever downloadable or whether they were just mistakenly set to the wrong "visibility scope" for their products (I forget the technical term for this); back then, there was a great deal of stuff on that network on Xbox 360 that would either not come out for a long time, or in some cases would never come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  Ah, interesting. So is this built upon the version of Shenmue that popped up on PartnerNet a few years ago? I'm not sure if that was ever widely known; people seemed to say it was just an indexing error but I always thought there was more to it than that.
                  I wasn't aware of the PartnerNet version. A friend let me know that SEGA had it running on PC a couple of years ago and swore me to secrecy about it at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                    I wasn't aware of the PartnerNet version. A friend let me know that SEGA had it running on PC a couple of years ago and swore me to secrecy about it at the time.
                    Ah, I see. Yeah; I can't remember exactly when it was (probably more than 5 years ago), but a while back, a few titles appeared on the store on PartnerNet by Sega that weren't announced, which included Shenmue and Sonic Adventure. This wasn't too unusual at the time, though, because PartnerNet is, after all, the development-only side of Xbox Live and you see all sorts of random things on there which were never intended to be titles. Sometimes companies would create dummy listings just to understand how you configured things like the store pages and achievements, and they would maybe use an actual game as an example - this meant you could never just assume a game which showed up was actually ever going to come out.

Comment

Been enjoying playing Shenmue 1 again, now on PS4. I've honestly not run into any major bugs, although have experienced audio clicks after voice files have played and sometimes missing sound effects.

Oh, and the bloom effect introduces this weird auto-contrast like behavior where the entire brightness of dark scenes will start really low and slowly ramp up over the span of a few seconds... which renders some dark scenes unintelligible. So I turned it off. Pity because other than that, it looks nice.

That's interesting to hear this has been gestating for so long. I wonder why Sega chose to release now? I guess they were waiting for some idea of when Shenmue 3 would launch in the hope that once it appears next year, it'll feed into sales of this?
                      Last edited by Lyris; 27-08-2018, 07:25.

Comment

I was told that the delay was down to licensing and the expected issues of getting the games to run smoothly on the target platforms. (Don't send boys to do M2's job, basically.) Shenmue 3 is a factor in the timing, of course- you'd want the generation that grew up between now and the original releases to be familiar with the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                          Been enjoying playing Shenmue 1 again, now on PS4. I've honestly not run into any major bugs, although have experienced audio clicks after voice files have played and sometimes missing sound effects.
                          I've had those too, but I'm unsure how much of that was in the original and we just didn't consider it. We were playing the original on (in some cases poor) analog hardware and the voice samples are very compressed. Much of the dub is just bad, with strange diction and timing along with poor mastering too... But back then we were just happy to have a game with such a large amount of spoken dialogue that I think we forgave those blips.

Comment

The DC version definitely doesn’t have the pops.

The quality of the American dubbing would make me angry, if it wasn’t for the fact it was supposedly self inflicted by Suzuki himself due to his requirement that the localization be done in Japan. The main characters are frequently okay but the video game voices used for any of the minor ones are pure cringe. Like those meatheads who pick a fight with Ryo early on in the game.

Can any fluent Japanese speaker fill me in on whether the original voices acting is of a good standard? Or do I just not hear any bad acting because I don’t understand Japanese?
                            Last edited by Lyris; 27-08-2018, 21:37.

Comment

Had a few game crashes tonight on Shenmue 2. Multiple times in the Beverly Hills Wharf area, so make sure you save if you're heading there and another crash during a big QTE sequence which meant I had to redo a lot to catch back up. I'm still enjoying the games though, I love the contrast between Shenmue 1's local areas and Shenmue 2's huge ones, it's a great sequal.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X