Shenmue 1 & 2 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
    First thing I noticed was how crushed the shadow details are. Also, the Bloom effect introduces this weird auto contrast like behavior where the display will start out really dark every time after a camera angle change, before slowly fading up to a more visible level.

The easiest way to see it is to open the notebook in a dark area then close it again. It makes some of the details in the opening cutscene in the dojo unintelligible. Turning off Bloom does fix the sliding brightness issue but I still think some of the low end shadow details are crushed.
    Yes, switching off the bloom does help with the odd auto contrast issue but then we loose some of the HD refinement. The team behind this conversion should be ashamed of such a ****ty remake. The game already has a 3gb patch but for what?

Comment

Okay, insiders, tell us your secrets

So, Sega cracked the whip and had them rush it out?

Seems to me like the later Japanese release date is the intended one and hopefully all will have been resolved by that point.

I’m also baffled by the fact that the usually meticulous Digital Foundry didn’t mention any of the issues or the black crush in their video review.

Comment

Patch notes (v2):

UI
        • Fixed various instances of incorrect help screen text displayed around the game.
        • Fixed various instances of incorrect button prompts being shown in the HUD.
        • Fixed duplicated button prompts in QTE Title 2.
        • Fixed an occasional issue when transitioning into the menu when in Shenmue 1.
        • Fixed an issue with 2560 x 1080 UI resolutions.
        • Fixed issues with resolutions wider than 2560.
        • Fixed an issue with QTE prompts not flashing.

Controls
        • Fixed inconsistencies when sparring in the dojo.

Graphical Issues
        • Fixed various character skinning issues.
        • Fixed an issue that caused bloom to re-enable itself when opening the notebook.
        • Fixed an issue that would cause crushed blacks on some hardware setups.
        • Fixed various instances of missing geometry and textures.
        • Fixed various issues with cameras being incorrect in cut scenes.
        • Fixed issues with hair sometimes rendering slightly transparent.
        • Fixed some instances of missing facial animation.
        • Fixed occasional issues with cloth rendering.

Miscellaneous
        • Fixed an issue that caused increased CPU load on some hardware.
        • Various stability improvements.
        • Fixed a soft-lock when playing Shenmue 1 arcade games past Ryo’s bed time.
        • Fixed an issue that could cause stuttering on monitors that support 75Hz refresh rates.
        • The gong in Bunkado Antiques can now be interacted with.
        • Fixing various instances of localisation issues.
        • Fixed an issue in Shenmue 1 where sleeping would sometimes not update move experience.
        • Various performance improvements.

Audio
        • Fixed various instances of crackling background music.
        • Fixed crackling while listening to cassettes.
        • Fixed various issues with arcade game audio.
        • Fixed issues with rain.
        • Fixed issues with some sound effects not looping correctly.
        • Fixed issues with some sound effects crackling.
        Needed this 2 weeks ago

Comment

Phew, better late than never. I can start to look forward to playing this again now.

Comment

Okay, insiders, tell us your secrets

So, Sega cracked the whip and had them rush it out?

Seems to me like the later Japanese release date is the intended one and hopefully all will have been resolved by that point.

I’m also baffled by the fact that the usually meticulous Digital Foundry didn’t mention any of the issues or the black crush in their video review.
            I smell a paid promotion. There is no way DF couldn't have noticed the faults. Also my rant video attracted so many pricks claiming their PS4 release is perfect and the faults with my copy are because it's on Xbox. What's wrong with people? It's obvious all ports were bugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              There is no way DF couldn't have noticed the faults. Also my rant video attracted so many pricks claiming their PS4 release is perfect and the faults with my copy are because it's on Xbox. What's wrong with people? It's obvious all ports were bugged.
              In fairness, we were playing the first game on a regular PS4, on a non-HDR TV, and we didn't notice any issues. Not to say monor ones weren't there, but we didn't have any really severe ones. I might've just thought some of the ropey parts were present in the original.

Comment

• Fixed a soft-lock when playing Shenmue 1 arcade games past Ryo’s bed time.

what an adorable bug

Comment

So, bottom line is this worth buying now or later?..

Comment

"I'm looking for the man who killed my port"

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      In fairness, we were playing the first game on a regular PS4, on a non-HDR TV, and we didn't notice any issues. Not to say monor ones weren't there, but we didn't have any really severe ones. I might've just thought some of the ropey parts were present in the original.
                      Wait, do the Shenmue ports have an HDR output mode? That’s the first I’ve heard of it?

Comment

Wait, do the Shenmue ports have an HDR output mode? That’s the first I’ve heard of it?
                        Maybe not. The point I'm making is that we weren't on a PS4 Pro.

Comment

Would the Pro make a difference? I don’t have one myself so I’m out of the loop.

Love DF, by the way. It’s like the only reliable source of info for tech analysis. It’s a shame we don’t have something similar for video transfers of movies (my industry).

Comment

For those playing...

Does Shenmue 2 reintroduce the mahjong games?

I read back in the day that you could play mahjong in the JPN version, but for the localisation this was cut. Apparently there was a sidequest requiring you to win a game of mahjong, and for the English version they simply made it so that you receive the item without playing. Or something.

It was a long time ago. I don't remember if this was even true, or a rumour.

Can you play mahjong in Shenmue 2?

Comment

Working...
                            X