8-bit games which are better than their 16-bit counterparts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8-bit games which are better than their 16-bit counterparts

I was thinking, which 8-bit games in your opinion(s) are superior games to their 16-bit equivalents?

IMO the NES and PCE (8-bit) conversions of The New Zealand Story are better than conversion on the 16-bit Atari ST, and probably edge the Amiga version in some ways.

Some would argue that Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System is a better platform game than the Mega Drive original (not me, however, although honestly I’m not a Sonic fan).

Master System R-Type, Chase HQ on the speccy.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
      Some would argue that Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System is a better platform game than the Mega Drive original (not me, however, although honestly I’m not a Sonic fan).
      As a longtime Sonic fan I’ve never understood it. Like, if you had it at the time and you have a strong personal connection to it, I totally follow that - but I’ve never understood how some people see the MS version as just an all-round better game.

Comment

I preferred Master System/Game Gear Sonic games to their 16-Bit counterparts too...

Might Final Fight is still only single player, but at least it features all three characters.

Comment

Master System R-Type, while great, I couldn't go for it over the PCE version.

Comment

I LOVED Mighty Final Fight. So much fun. Sonic on the Master System, I can kind of understand that. I think I’d still prefer the Megadrive version but the MS/GG versions were quite different and had some great stuff the Megadrive one didn’t have so I can see how the preference could swing that way. And the end credits music is beautiful if I remember correctly.

My pick is a Game Gear one - Castle of Illusion. I’m not even sure what it was but I preferred playing it to the Megadrive version.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post

IMO the NES and PCE (8-bit) conversions of The New Zealand Story are better than conversion on the 16-bit Atari ST, and probably edge the Amiga version in some ways.
              The Master System version of New Zealand Story is better than any of that lot and the Megadrive version.
              And I agree that the MS/GG version of Caste of Illusion is a better game than the MD version.

Comment

Oh, I remember playing Castle of Illusion and GG Shinobi in bed, under the covers, with the lights off... Mickey looked so bright and happy and colourful on that backlit screen.

Comment

Buggy Boy on the C64 is faster and more fun than the 16-bit versions.

PowerDrift on the C64 is also much more enjoyable than the clunky 16-bit versions.

So, C64 for the win!

Comment

Almost makes me feel a bit queezy to think of the Master System Sonics as being better than the Mega Drive ones. They were decent fun but... no.

For me, Off Road. Had good fun with that but Super Off Road never clicked the same

Comment

Most of the titles that originated on the C64 and were (emphasis) then later ported to the 16-bits. Although sometimes when they were developed side by side, the C64 won out (Power Drift as noted above).
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Rastan for the Master System > Rastan Saga 2 for MD/PCE

Comment

I'd say the US Gold "4" (Paperboy, Last Crusade, Gauntlet and Impossible Mission) and Tecmagik games on the Master System were better than any 16-bit versions.

I'm also in the "Sonic on Master System being better than the MD version" camp, as it played at a much slower pace that allowed (albeit rudimentary) exploration as opposed to the awkward speed of the Megadrive version. Ancient did a cracking job on that game.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            The Master System version of New Zealand Story is better than any of that lot and the Megadrive version.
                            Good shout on NZS on the Master System, it's a far better conversion than even more powerful machines received.

Comment

I loved the Game Gear version of Shinobi. I put a massive amount of time into it (never managed to complete it though). I liked the Mega Drive version but never felt motivated to stick with it. I don't know what it was about the GG version but it just clicked with me.

As a rule I don't really like 2D platformers. GG Shinobi, Rastan in the arcade and Mega Drive Sonic 1 are pretty much the only exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                              X