Retro Arena: Licensed scrolling beat 'em ups

Turtles in Time - 1991

The Simpsons - 1991

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs - 1993

The Punisher - 1993

Dungeons & Dragons[Tower of Doom & Shadow over Mystara] - 1993 & 1996

Alien vs. Predator - 1994

Which one do you like the most?

You probably listed them in terms of weakness. Turtles is fun for a run through, but then it gets very shallow. Actually it becomes very repetitive two or three levels in. This was one of the things reviewers brought up back in the day. I agreed with them, and that still stands now.

The only reason it gets high praise today is because people stick it on for thirty seconds when perusing millions of other ROMz. Play it for any longer than that and the cracks begin to appear.

At the other end of the scale Aliens vs. Predator is a pre-cursor to Bayonetta. Fabulous game.

I've played all of these in the last week or two funnily enough! For me it would definitely be between AvP and The Punisher, with the latter probably just pipping it as I prefer the graphical style. Both great games to try to test yourself on one credit runs and force yourself to improve, not that I haven't credit fed them both in the past in order to see the full game!

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    You probably listed them in terms of weakness.
    You could look at it that way.

Turtles is fun for a run through, but then it gets very shallow.
    I think I've only played the SNES version, which might be better than the arcade version.

At the other end of the scale Aliens vs. Predator is a pre-cursor to Bayonetta. Fabulous game.
    Yeah, it's still a great game. I really can't fault it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I've played all of these in the last week or two funnily enough!
    It's not surprising, seeing you've spent the whole week glued to your Pi.

For me it would definitely be between AvP and The Punisher, with the latter probably just pipping it as I prefer the graphical style.
    I was playing The Punisher on my Pi the other day - and the graphics still shine. If someone made a 2D game as good looking these days, people would be impressed.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-08-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Both great games to try to test yourself on one credit runs and force yourself to improve, not that I haven't credit fed them both in the past in order to see the full game!
    I really don't know why you don't have the patience for Bayonetta.* It's a natural evolution of these kind of games. Punch and kick your way through waves of enemies while picking up weapons for more damage and points. I reckon you'd have your cock out the moment it clicks. I was the same, I hated "HACK N SLASH" with a passion before being told that it wasn't really a hack'n'slash and actually an evolution of AvP. Once I approached the game with a scrolling fighter mindset I was well on my way.

* I think someone should do a super-basic guide to Bayonetta that introduces the game play in extreme layman's terms. Saurian's Umbran Arts series started off well, but I fear it was still too technical to change anyone's mind over the game.
    Last edited by dataDave; 25-08-2018 at 01:46 PM.

Bayonetta just always felt too finicky to me, and it doesn’t help that aesthetically I can’t really be doing with a lot of the design of the game.

I donít think Iíve even seen a Turtles in Time cabinet in the UK... every arcade in Sunny Hunny had the original and the Simpsons though. These games were meant to be played in brief goes on the big 4-player cabinets with your mates, the cracks only show when you get them home, just as I was saying about NeoēGeo games.

I know Iíve played Cadillacs and Dinosaurs as they had it in our local Showcase, but Iíve never seen the Punisher.

Alien vs Predator is the one though, absolute cracker of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by _SD_ View Post
    Alien vs Predator is the one though, absolute cracker of a game.
    I guess it would be the most popular game of the bunch. I think they're all good examples of the genre.

Quote Originally Posted by teddymeow View Post
    Where's X-Men?
    In an arcade somewhere.

I was thinking about including it, but decided against it. But it was close to being included. These threads are simply about pitting a few games against each other, so there are always going to be games that some people feel should have been included. I might end up putting X-Men in another Retro Arena.