The Dog’s Bollocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dog’s Bollocks

After moaning about moaning, I thought I’d put my bollocks where my mouth is (and we love sucking balls around here, right kids?) and offer a thread to really wax lyrical about stuff you love.

It could be food, drink, an activity, a tv programme, a film, a game, a hobby - anything. It doesn’t have to be guilty pleasures or anything like that. Although some evidently will be. Perhaps explain why you like it so much.

There’s only one rule. No cussing.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 21-08-2018, 18:33.

I’ll start.

I really love watching All Creatures Great and Small.

The focus on animals is really lovely to watch. I’m an animal lover, so it resonates. The theme tune is a corker, and just hearing it relaxes me as I prepare to be transported to a more innocent 1930s world, set in beautiful countryside, with fantastic characters.

Robert Hardy’s Siegfried Farnon is a fabulous creation - a tour de force of a performance that gobbles up the screen and dominates. The younger generation think of him as Cornelius Fudge, but to me he’ll always be Siegfried.

The whole programme is a relaxing, fond, nostalgic look to a bygone age. It’s timeless and still entertains today.

Comment

I love moaning and being miserable.

Or is that wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
        I really love watching All Creatures Great and Small..
        I haven't seen this in decades but I remember it being a lovely show all those years ago. I must revisit it at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          I love moaning and being miserable.

Or is that wrong?

Fair game, Teddy.

No cussing round these parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            I haven't seen this in decades but I remember it being a lovely show all those years ago. I must revisit it at some point.
            It’s fab. I prefer the pre-war episodes with Carol Drinkwater, but the entire run is extremely watchable and a fave. I really like the Christmas episode. IIRC James pioneered the use of sedation as a method of healing an animal in certain circumstances related to stress. He saved a little poodle which was slowly dying by knocking it out. It led to a paper being submitted to a professional journal. In the same episode Siegfried winds Tristan up by planting a skeleton in a room he keeps locked, knowing fine well that his younger brother will break in out of curiosity. It’s a very warm show to watch.

Comment

LOL I never knew you watched this?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                It is lovely. I used to watch it with my Mum when I was little. Along with Hi De Hi. That's class!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  LOL I never knew you watched this?!
                  Watched it with my parents as a kid. In the late 90s my dad collected all the VHS releases monthly from Britannica or someone thing that. We used to watch them as soon as they arrived. It was nostalgic even then. I’ve read some of the books too, which are really entertaining. We used to have holidays in Yorkshire and had a pint in the Red Lion where the pub scenes were filmed.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    It is lovely. I used to watch it with my Mum when I was little. Along with Hi De Hi. That's class!
                    Great :-) Simon Cadell is another fine actor, whose bumbling, out of place diffidence is a joy to watch. As a kid I loved the knockabout comedy of Ted, Spike and Peggy, but watching it again in my early 30s I really liked the interplay between Cadell and Ruth Madoc, and the resigned sneering sarcasm of Barry and Yvonne, who despised working there but knew they couldn’t escape.

Comment

Hi De Hi works on so many levels.

Personally, I think it's up there with Fawlty Towers in the pantheon of British comedy greats.

Comment

It’s far more character-based than I gave it credit for. You can tell it had the hand of David Croft guiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                          The theme tune is a corker, and just hearing it relaxes me as I prepare to be transported to a more innocent 1930s world, set in beautiful countryside, with fantastic characters.
                          Sounds like the effect Jeeves and Wooster has on me.

My ultimate go-to lovely world though is The Shuttleworths on Radio 4. It's primarily comedy, but it's the other layers that make it something special. And for a show where one man voices every character, I never see him when I hear them, only the vivid, fleshed out characters I've created in my head. Like The Simpsons it can make me cry as well as laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Sounds like the effect Jeeves and Wooster has on me.

My ultimate go-to lovely world though is The Shuttleworths on Radio 4. It's primarily comedy, but it's the other layers that make it something special. And for a show where one man voices every character, I never see him when I hear them, only the vivid, fleshed out characters I've created in my head. Like The Simpsons it can make me cry as well as laugh.
                            Ooof! Mind those Cuban Heels Ken!

Comment

Love Jeeves and Wooster. Fry and Laurie at their finest. The books are fantastic to read. The language used is masterful.

Comment

Working...
                              X