BPX031: Sitting on the Dock of the Tablet Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX031: Sitting on the Dock of the Tablet Bay

Bit of mid-week frivolity. We're nearing the 18 month point of the Switch's lifespan and users have been using the console for a long while now with the handheld or not debates having long since settled down (It's not)

The Switch's ability to be used both at home and out and about is one of its defining features, how much so?

Primarily, do you use your Switch in Portable or Docked mode?
    Portable Mode the Most
    0%
    Docked Mode the Most
    0%
    Honestly - Equally Used
    0%
    Don't Own a Switch - But Would Portable It
    0%
    Don't Own a Switch - But Would Dock It
    0%

I play docked on the projector, the wife plays undocked, sat on the sofa.
    My son (when he gets a look in on his console!) plays both.

I'm a bit jealous of him sat in the back of the car on long journeys as he gets to play it loads!

Comment

The only time I've used Switch in portable mode is when it was delivered and I didn't have a TV to plug it into. If I was still commuting into London maybe that'd be different, but the vast majority of my gaming is done on a big screen.

Comment

Docked mode the most for me. I've barely gamed on my Switch in handheld, though I do occasionally browse the eShop in handheld mode.

Comment

Always docked.

Comment

Mine gets used handheld more. I love playing it on the television so I do when I can but it’s often just handier to have it out of the dock.

Comment

Due to it being my work console more than a home one (and how ugly it looks running on a TV) I use handheld mode the most but using the kick stand with a pro controller rather than in hand with the joy cons as it's quite an uncomfortable system to play that way

Comment

I know it's only nine votes in, but the results would make out that a hybrid turned out to be a pretty decent concept in the end.

I'm generally too busy to play at home at the minute. A lot of my current Switch gaming is done sat in my car whilst my wife is off shopping. I get some gaming time in AND save money on parking. My 4G is pretty good too, but only for MK8 or Turf War as those dreaded connection errors mean ranked Splatoon is totally off the cards.

When I do play at home it's with the bigger titles. I can't play Mario or Zelda on that small screen anyway, it feels like a waste of a good game. Sonic Mania is PERFECT on there though, that CRT filter is the best! That feature should be at system level.

Comment

It's been a bit of a saving grace for me, if it were solely a home console it would be doubtful it'd get much use.

I may get one of those mCables one day to try and sort out the ugly lack of AA in docked mode.

Comment

I initially was TV-only, but as time's gone on I've adapted to the hybrid form factor and now play a mix of the two, even though I very rarely take it it of the house. Combined with the mobile nature of it allowing for instant-on and instant-sleep, it works really well. It's significantly better and more convenient than your standard console setup.

As we inch towards streaming machines, I could see a similar form factor being used for them eventually. We're a long way from mobile data affording a decent enough connection speed and stability for game streaming, but even around the house having the handheld option is really great.

Comment

Docked mode 100%. Haven't played handheld mode once. Not even for a second. Not even out of curiosity. Consequently I have no idea what handheld mode is like. I might be missing something I'd adore for all I know.

Comment

I figured I'd use it docked before I bought one but so far I've been portable 90% of the time.

Comment

Handheld only.

Comment

Working...
                          X