No announcement yet.

Disney Animation: Live Action Adaptations Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That still image alone prevents me from watching it.

Comment

No matter how realistic they can make a CGI elephant look these days...it still has all the gravity of a tea towel in a mild gust of wind.

Comment

Remake the film, suck out the charm and here you go! The first trailer for the *cough* live action Lion King

Comment

Reminds me of Psycho with Vince Vaughn.

Comment

It's one where, coming from Jungle Book, I can see the line of thinking but TJB was barely an hour so benefitted from being reworked. Most Disney animated movies, especially the more modern end of the scale ones like this don't lend themselves to it.

What's particularly grating is that this isn't really live action in any way, it's all CG and so is simply an animated remake albeit a less visually appealing one. Don't know if it's true but apparently they've added a solo song for Beyoncé and cut Be Prepared. If true, inferior version by default.

Comment

Yeah, "live-action" is stretching it a bit in this computer animation featuring entirely CGI characters and backgrounds!

Comment

The Lion King remake replaces old-school 2D animation with highly detailed CGI. So why does it look worse than the original?

This explains my sentiments towards these remakes.

Comment

I thought The Jungle Book remake was actually pretty good.

Comment

Here's a shot of the projection machine innards used to show Lion King next year:

This gravy train started in full with I Alice in Wonderland and the best we can seem to hope for is a film that is merely functionally okay. One of the issues with these projects is that they're a bit of a dice roll in terms of approach. Some suit direct adaptations best, others expansions and others reinterpretations. Maleficent got it right in telling the story from another perspective, Jungle Book correctly identified how thin the original film is and the expansions in story made it interesting. All the others have been bumpy. The nostalgia factor fuels the box office success and keeps them coming yet audiences seem to be quick to forget about them and to return to the originals which says a lot about these remakes.

Lion King will be huge, the popularity of the film is that big that it'll drive this and I imagine it'll get a solid initial response as it looks to be competently made. Then within 12 months it'll be a forgotten footnote, the superior original reinstated because $$$ is literally all this new version brings to the table. The original film doesn't need reinterpreting, remaking or expanding so you either risk being too slavish or making the end product worse. This new film looks set to graze both sides with a slavish approach to remaking shots and sequences accurately yet replacing a handful of liked sequences with new guff.

I watched the newest trailer for Dumbo at the weekend and it really, really suggests that film has cast aside most of the original film and just retained some imagery from the original so my red flag is a little higher on that one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      I watched the newest trailer for Dumbo at the weekend and it really, really suggests that film has cast aside most of the original film and just retained some imagery from the original so my red flag is a little higher on that one now.
                      I have little interest in Dumbo and, aside from Jungle Book, haven't seen any of the other adaptations but isn't doing its own thing a good thing? I think I'd prefer that to just slavishly copying the original only now looking more grey and boring. At least if they veer from the original movie there is a chance it could justify its existence. Otherwise you're always going to be better off watching the original. Jungle Book managed to offer a different experience around the bones of the original and it worked pretty well.

Comment

For me it varies depending on the film. Dumbo is a bit like Jungle Book in that there's room to expand the story because the original is so short and it looked like that was going to be the case. The new trailer though suggests they've deviated a lot and as it's Burton (I absolutely despised his Alice film) I'm wary. The missus doesn't help, she's absolutely in love with Dumbo and was all in till she saw the new trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          as it's Burton.
                          That's me out, then.

Comment

I haven't seen one of his films since Planet of the Apes and I don't intend to change that.

Comment

Tom Hanks is in early talks to play Geppetto in the upcoming live-action “Pinocchio” movie at Disney Pictures. A live-action version of their 1940 animated feature, the story follows a living puppet who must prove himself worthy in order to become a real boy. Geppetto is his creator, a master toymaker as well as a […]

Tom Hanks is in talks to play Geppetto in Pinocchio

Comment

Craig Gillespie (“I, Tonya,” “The Finest Hours”) is in talks to direct “Cruella,” the live-action version of “101 Dalmatians,” at Disney Pictures. Emma Stone is attached to play Cruella de Vil, the woman who covets the furs of the pups needed to give her the perfect coat. Jez Butterworth penned the script while Marc Platt, […]

The director of Tonya and The Finest Hours is in talks to helm Emma Stone's Cruella.

Comment

Working...
                                X