Retro Arena: Licensed scrolling beat 'em ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I wouldn't call it a "beat 'em up", more like a Run and Gun sort of game. I've always been a fan of it since playing it in a Brighton arcade back in 1990. Someone mentioned it a few weeks back, so it does get talked about. I go back to quite often on MAME -- it's a lot of fun to play through.
    Same here don't class it as a beat em up really
    The vehicle section as well sticks out too much to class it as anything other than a Gun-em-up

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
      Same here don't class it as a beat em up really
      The vehicle section as well sticks out too much to class it as anything other than a Gun-em-up

Neil
      Yeah, there's lots of shooting from all sorts of angles, so may as well call it a "Gun-em-up"

If I was into buying PCBs, I definitely buy the Aliens board. I'd never get bored of it.

Comment

I've only played Punisher in the arcade, but it was brilliant. Did it get any decent home ports?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
          I've only played Punisher in the arcade, but it was brilliant. Did it get any decent home ports?
          It was ported to the Mega Drive, but it's downgraded quite a bit, with the music being quite bad. It's now one of those really expensive games that only collectors would buy.

Comment

I've only played TMNT, The Simpsons and AvP from that list.

I played The Simpsons a few years ago with my wife. I got bored half-way through but she carried on and finished the game. I know they were trying to match the style of the series but the graphics just look like old EGA games.

I liked playing TMNT at the local newsagent when I was young but I wasn't good enough to find it boring! Dave hit the nail on the head as I usually play it for about thirty seconds to listen to the music.

I've only played AvP once, on a laptop at work with two mates during our lunch break. It was great fun, and I loved the large sprites.

I tire of scrolling beat 'em ups, so the music is what keeps me going back(SoR, SoR2 and Golden Axe 2).

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
              Ibut the graphics just look like old EGA games.

The PC version can be played in EGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                The PC version can be played in EGA.
                The arcade version must be a port of the PC one!

Comment

Working...
                X