Retro Arena: Licensed scrolling beat 'em ups

Turtles in Time - 1991

The Simpsons - 1991

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs - 1993

The Punisher - 1993

Dungeons & Dragons[Tower of Doom & Shadow over Mystara] - 1993 & 1996

Alien vs. Predator - 1994

Which one do you like the most?

You probably listed them in terms of weakness. Turtles is fun for a run through, but then it gets very shallow. Actually it becomes very repetitive two or three levels in. This was one of the things reviewers brought up back in the day. I agreed with them, and that still stands now.

The only reason it gets high praise today is because people stick it on for thirty seconds when perusing millions of other ROMz. Play it for any longer than that and the cracks begin to appear.

At the other end of the scale Aliens vs. Predator is a pre-cursor to Bayonetta. Fabulous game.

Comment

I've played all of these in the last week or two funnily enough! For me it would definitely be between AvP and The Punisher, with the latter probably just pipping it as I prefer the graphical style. Both great games to try to test yourself on one credit runs and force yourself to improve, not that I haven't credit fed them both in the past in order to see the full game!

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        You probably listed them in terms of weakness.
        You could look at it that way.

Turtles is fun for a run through, but then it gets very shallow.
        I think I've only played the SNES version, which might be better than the arcade version.

At the other end of the scale Aliens vs. Predator is a pre-cursor to Bayonetta. Fabulous game.
        Yeah, it's still a great game. I really can't fault it.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I've played all of these in the last week or two funnily enough!
        It's not surprising, seeing you've spent the whole week glued to your Pi.

For me it would definitely be between AvP and The Punisher, with the latter probably just pipping it as I prefer the graphical style.
        I was playing The Punisher on my Pi the other day - and the graphics still shine. If someone made a 2D game as good looking these days, people would be impressed.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-08-2018, 13:47.

Comment

Both great games to try to test yourself on one credit runs and force yourself to improve, not that I haven't credit fed them both in the past in order to see the full game!
          I really don't know why you don't have the patience for Bayonetta.* It's a natural evolution of these kind of games. Punch and kick your way through waves of enemies while picking up weapons for more damage and points. I reckon you'd have your cock out the moment it clicks. I was the same, I hated "HACK N SLASH" with a passion before being told that it wasn't really a hack'n'slash and actually an evolution of AvP. Once I approached the game with a scrolling fighter mindset I was well on my way.

* I think someone should do a super-basic guide to Bayonetta that introduces the game play in extreme layman's terms. Saurian's Umbran Arts series started off well, but I fear it was still too technical to change anyone's mind over the game.
          Last edited by dataDave; 25-08-2018, 13:46.

Comment

Bayonetta just always felt too finicky to me, and it doesn’t help that aesthetically I can’t really be doing with a lot of the design of the game.

Comment

I don’t think I’ve even seen a Turtles in Time cabinet in the UK... every arcade in Sunny Hunny had the original and the Simpsons though. These games were meant to be played in brief goes on the big 4-player cabinets with your mates, the cracks only show when you get them home, just as I was saying about Neo•Geo games.

I know I’ve played Cadillacs and Dinosaurs as they had it in our local Showcase, but I’ve never seen the Punisher.

Alien vs Predator is the one though, absolute cracker of a game.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Alien vs Predator is the one though, absolute cracker of a game.
                I guess it would be the most popular game of the bunch. I think they're all good examples of the genre.

Comment

Where's X-Men?

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                    Where's X-Men?
                    In an arcade somewhere.

I was thinking about including it, but decided against it. But it was close to being included. These threads are simply about pitting a few games against each other, so there are always going to be games that some people feel should have been included. I might end up putting X-Men in another Retro Arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      In an arcade somewhere.

I was thinking about including it, but decided against it. But it was close to being included. These threads are simply about pitting a few games against each other, so there are always going to be games that some people feel should have been included. I might end up putting X-Men in another Retro Arena.
                      Same with Captain America/Avengers & Spiderman

Both of those are freaking awesome too

Love everything in your list though
                      Feel Simpsons & Turtles while fun are the weakest of the bunch there

Can't pick a fave from the rest though...all sucked SO much money from me back in the day

Neil

Comment

I like Dungeons and Dragons and had them both on the Saturn. The graphics are great and the game feels huge. I just think the gameplay is a bit clunky. Plus the item management is too fiddly and most of the end up being useless.

I loved AvP though and The Punisher is pretty cool. I agree about Turtles being shallow, I've never really bought into the hype of the game. It's a MAME game in the way that certain footballers are Match of the Day players.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          Same with Captain America/Avengers & Spiderman
                          I think a Part 2 of this thread will happen.

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                          Feel Simpsons & Turtles while fun are the weakest of the bunch there
                          The Simpsons makes great use of the license, but I'd prefer to play something more meaty like C&D, AVP, or The Punisher. It's nice how each game brings something interesting to the table.

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                          I like Dungeons and Dragons and had them both on the Saturn. The graphics are great and the game feels huge. I just think the gameplay is a bit clunky. Plus the item management is too fiddly and most of the end up being useless.
                          Yeah, they do feel a bit clunky. But at least the graphics, sound, and overall design are stunning. I enjoy going back to them.

Comment

One title that rarely seems to come up when people consider licenced beat-em ups is the Konami Aliens game. I loved that; they had a machine at a hotel I stayed at once as a kid, and I thought it was fun.

... was it terrible? :unsure:

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              One title that rarely seems to come up when people consider licenced beat-em ups is the Konami Aliens game.
                              I wouldn't call it a "beat 'em up", more like a Run and Gun sort of game. I've always been a fan of it since playing it in a Brighton arcade back in 1990. Someone mentioned it a few weeks back, so it does get talked about. I go back to it quite often on MAME -- it's a lot of fun to play through.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-08-2018, 12:48.

Comment

Working...
                              X