Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDTV screen repair - help needed please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDTV screen repair - help needed please!

Annoyingly, I managed to dent and crack the screen on my eight year-old Samsung 40" LCD HDTV yesterday morning.

Is anybody on here able to refer me to somebody who might be able to repair it for a not-extortionate price? I'm currently being quoted £400+ for repairs despite the fact that I didn't pay £400 when I purchased the TV brand new from Dixon's (Curry's PC World) back in 2010. Curry's PC World refuse to book a repair for me and Samsung don't do in-house repairs - instead, they referred me to said above rip-off merchants authorised third-parties. This effectively means that I might as well purchase a new TV but my bank balance could really do without that at the moment tbh.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Repairs in London would be preferred but willing to consider outside of the capital.

[MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION], I know you're something of a stranger to these forums nowadays but, if you do see this, your input/knowledge would really be appreciated here.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 26-08-2018, 08:08.

As an aside, we had a similar situation with a screen that was cracked during moving offices at work, and our IT guy eventually just had to replace it. Repairs always seemed to cost nearly the price of a new TV.

Comment

There are always loads of second hand 40“ sets on gumtree (usually between £100-£140). Doubt you would get a new screen and fitting for much less than that. You may even be able to get an upgrade for less.

Comment

I’ve repaired quite a few LCD TVs but if you need a new panel it just isn’t worth it. A second hand set is a far better and cheaper alternative. Plus you can strip down the old TV and sell the parts. Stuff like the T-con, power supply and main board are easy to remove and sell.

Comment

What CMCK said. The panel is the most expensive part of the display and isn’t really worth replacing. As you say, for the same price you could buy a new TV.

Your best bet might be to go on eBay and find the same model used.

Comment

Working...
          X