No announcement yet.

Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing how gaming has advanced an insane amount in the last thirty years, but the original from the start of the 90's still looks better than this.

Comment

Somewhere, out there, possibly in another dimension or universe, is a mile high onyx monolith with the source for Streets of Rage 2 carved on it.

Comment

It looks awesome, hi-res but still like the original. I think it looks awesome when moving, even if not in screenshots.

I hope people give them a chance instead of jumping on it straight away and immediately assuming it'll be bad because it's a western dev.

I would much prefer this style than something trying to do a Scott Pilgrim and making a wannabe pixelart thing. Then people would just be nitpicking that it doesn't look exactly like the originals.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Sonic Mania guys did it the best in my opinion. Kept the pixel art we know and love, full screen and added some neat little animations that made it stand out even more. Get Yuzo in and ship it and we all would have pre-order swig face.

Sadly this look is not doing it for me.

Comment

I like it. I think it looks good. The style works for me.

Comment

Yeah, I don't get the hate. The art is really cool. I like that they've done something different. As much as I liked Sonic Mania (and I did, a lot), it would be great to see a future sequel that preserves the gameplay, but uses an updated art style like this. I think it could be really interesting.

Comment

I think the art style just confirms 2D to my mind in that the visual tell my brain this a now a moving comic whereas the original was trying its best to present to me a world and not 2D art moving on a 2D plane. I dunno. Just reminds me of SSF2THD.

Another great example of refreshing a 2D classic was Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Anyway, I appreciate that people are welcoming the look. Hopefully it will play awesome and all will be forgotten.
                Last edited by hudson; 27-08-2018, 21:55.

Comment

The hate comes from the fact, that the art style looks like ass, it’s like a cartoon parody of Streets of Rage, and it’s not even by anyone even remotely related to the original devs.

Here is my take on Streets of Rage 4

Make it look, taste and smell like SoR2, make it two to four times longer, go crazy on loads of enemy types, have every character from the past three as playable, sprinkle in a little levelling, character customisation, and maybe game tweaks you can turn on or off. Finally get Yuzo to do the music.

Comment

I'm not gonna lie, I don't mind the look of this, seems entirely in line with the originals regardless of the HD look and I think they've made the right call on that front as it's playing to a different audience than Sonic. Whilst there's the same need to cater to fans who've called for a fourth entry all this time, that audience is also a tiny fraction of Sonic's meaning SoR4's success will be much more dependent on attracting new buyers, the game itself looks very in line with the old ones. Nice to see Sega aren't just taking Sonic Mania as a one and done.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      The hate comes from the fact, that the art style looks like ass, it’s like a cartoon parody of Streets of Rage, and it’s not even by anyone even remotely related to the original devs.

Make it look, taste and smell like SoR2, make it two to four times longer, go crazy on loads of enemy types, have every character from the past three as playable, sprinkle in a little levelling, character customisation, and maybe game tweaks you can turn on or off. Finally get Yuzo to do the music.
                      That would definitely be one way of approaching it, and I think that could be pretty cool. It's pretty much what Sonic Mania was for Sonic. I don't think it's the only way to tackle an update like this though. The problem with making it too similar is that - unless you're Christian Whitehead and you're making a Sonic game - it can end up feeling a bit like a cover version of the original, with everything that implies.

No argument from me on the music though. Yuzo would've been amazing.

Comment

I'll probably pick this up as long as it gets a physical release.

Comment

It worked for Sonic Mania, given how Sonic Forces turned out.

In fairness to them, it was 25 years ago. We're starting to reach the point with 90s revivials where you have to seriously consider that the original devs might have moved on or retired (or worse, may simply not be around anymore). It can't be easy to revive a team like that. I don't think there's reason to believe it would be any better than hiring a bunch of new people.

Finally get Yuzo to do the music.
                          However this is something I would support; it seems he's still doing music.

The art style stuff is subjective. I like it.

Comment

Will this beat Paprium to the shops I wonder?! Joking aside this does look good. Axel looks a tad fat in some stances but overall the art is good. Lizard Cube did a fantastic job with Wonderboy so I have every confidence they won’t let us down with this.
                            I am surprised they haven’t managed to rope in Yuzo Kushiro but I suppose he’s maybe just too busy.

Comment

I tried to like it, but I can't.
                              Its as if someone sat behind a screen and had SoR described to them without ever having seen it, and designed this from his minds eye.

Comment

Yep, spot on. SEGA should have gone the Mania route and get all the pixel art and just gone to town with what a 32Bit SOR game would have looked like (just like Sonia Mania) instead we get this insult to the series. It doesn't look like or sound like a SOR game.

Comment

Working...
                                X