Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    Wth respect, it must be a long time since you last played FF.

Would pick Double Impact's soundtrack over FF CD's soundtrack but hey that's just me.
    Granted it’s been a couple of weeks since I played Final Fight! Maybe the Mega-CD version isn’t quite the same as the arcade version but it’s the one I’m most familiar with.

I’ll need to check out the Double Impact soundtrack. Cheers for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      Granted it’s been a couple of weeks since I played Final Fight! Maybe the Mega-CD version isn’t quite the same as the arcade version but it’s the one I’m most familiar with.

I’ll need to check out the Double Impact soundtrack. Cheers for the tip.
      Final Fight CD definitely isn't the same as the coin-op. For a start, Capcom actually had nothing to do with the development of it. They licensed the IP to Sega who developed it in-house. As good as it was for its time, FF CD has some notable differences to the coin-op and not necessarily all good.

For me, FF Double Impact's soundtrack is the soundtrack that FF CD should've been. If you hunt around the interwebz, you should be able to find a ZIP file of it that was officially made available around the time of Double Impact's official release.
      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-05-2020, 10:10.

Comment

Digital Foundry analysis.
        • 60fps across the board
        • Switch version identical to PS4
        • Xbox version was ported and currently missing video options present in other versions
        • PC the only version to include low-latency mode
        • John couldn't get the Windows 10 Store version to work. May have limited Xbox video options unlike Steam version

Comment

Ohh I’d be intrigued to see what the low latency mode feels like. The game feels pretty good to me already.

Comment

Yea, ideally they would measure the response times. It might just be like the Nvidia low-latency modes in the their recent drivers and reduce the latency by a (c.)half. The sense I got from the video is that the game felt great irrespective of format. Imagine it just improves the experience and gets closer to the good 'old days.

Comment

Interesante. I’ve never worried about latency when playing SoR. I only really notice it in platformers, 1-on-1 fighting and music games.

Comment

I notice it on scrolling beat 'em ups, too. This is why I turned on emulation as I couldn't get the feel right. Final Fight is my benchmark tool and if I can't get it right I ditch the whole job. I've not been back since run-ahead became a thing, mind.

Must get a MiSTer sorted out once I'm out of this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                  • 60fps across the board
                  Yeah, but is it identical to the Microsoft® Corporation Xbox One X version? Eh??

• Xbox version was ported and currently missing video options present in other versions
                  Oh.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    Yeah, but is it identical to the Microsoft® Corporation Xbox One X version? Eh??

Oh.
                    Yeah what the hell is that all about?

Comment

• 60fps across the board
                      • PC the only version to include low-latency mode
                      • John couldn't get the Windows 10 Store version to work. May have limited Xbox video options unlike Steam version

Xbox is getting patched to add the missing stuff in a few days. Strange it was missing in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        Yeah, but is it identical to the Microsoft® Corporation Xbox One X version? Eh??.
                        Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        Yeah what the hell is that all about?
                        The Xbox One version (and maybe the Windows 10 UWP version) port is being handled by a different developer.

Comment

Gave it a quick go on PC with low latency mode enabled, strong SoR2 vibes on the first level - really quite enjoyed that. Feels like my brain is breaking using an XB1 pad though, I'll have to unbox my FightStick PRO later. Good initial impression!

Comment

Totally agree with Nu-Eclipse about Final Fight, while the Streets of Rage's are great games arcade Final Fight is just better in every way. It is a tighter experience with, quite frankly, evil genius AI. I was playing it a few weeks ago and a Slash, Poison and Andore combo used teamwork to take me down. Teamwork! Not even other Capcom belt scrollers demonstrate that much enemy intelligence. It's like every enemy has a personality that you have to figure out on the battlefield, they aren't really just cannon fodder.

I think the reason FF gets derided so much is because of the SNES conversion, which isn't that great in the grand scheme of things. The arcade version however hasn't aged a day since it was released. Streets of Rage 2 is probably the best console belt scroller but arcade Final Fight still reigns supreme.

Comment

...is being handled by a different developer.
                              Aww, that makes me nostalgic for the days when we'd have two vaguely similar but actually different games to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                Aww, that makes me nostalgic for the days when we'd have two vaguely similar but actually different games to play.
                                Totally, if only U.S. Gold could work their magic on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X