No announcement yet.

Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem not to like it. That IS preference. Be very clear though: this is neither cheap nor amateurish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      No problem not to like it. That IS preference. Be very clear though: this is neither cheap nor amateurish.
      You always avoid my core point. I've simply stated that the sprites look like clipart pasted into the environments. That's clear to see. So that has nothing to do with "preference." You seem to assume that I'm letting feelings cloud my judgment -- when I'm just expressing what is plain to see.

I think the style looks cheap and amateurish. I have a strong dislike of games that have clipart style sprites that look like they've been pasted into environments. I don't think the style works well, simply because the sprites and environments don't gel together properly.

I think there probably are ways to create HD pixel art for games like SOR4 that is more effective at delivering a detailed and overall organic look that enables the sprites to feel part of the environment. SOR4 shouldn't look like a weak Indie sort of game. I personally think it's a great shame that the developer chose this style of graphics, because something more ambitious and effective would have done the series justice.

Comment

My more informed opinion is that you are incorrect. You are also expressing opinion as fact. In terms of the better ways of creating pixel art, we have covered that. You should go back and reread and also read the link Asura posted, which is very informative. You’d get quite a bit from it if you’re inteested in learning more.

Comment

Quite apart from anything else, you can't say I reckon it looks like clip art then say that it's a clear fact that it does and you can't argue with it.

I don't think it looks like clip art. I can kinda of see where you're coming from with that screen, the lighting for the characters and backgrounds doesn't quite gel, but then it's a single early screen.

Repeating myself here but I like the style. Really glad dotemu have gone for this with this and Windjammers 2 - as much as I love great pixel art, I also like to see 2D done in other styles.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            Oh i loved the Look of KOF XII and XIII, was really disappointed they did not continue that.

Though when it comes from 2d to 3d the only game i was really wrong about was Guilty gear Xrd....that did blow me away.
            It was pretty great that SNK revamped the graphical look of KOF. The fact that it took them until the arcade release KOF XIII to have a really solid game again shows how much effort and resources had to go into the revamp (I do love the large HD sprites and lively backgrounds of KOF XII though).

I know fans have requested that SNK do a new installment of one of its established fighters in the style of the recent GGXrd games but I don't think mimicking that style would help. SNK should always strive to find their own take on the cell-shaded look or as looks to be the case with the upcoming Samurai Spirits, use a 3D graphics engine to create a new installment that has that trademark series style flowing through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Looks 100% like that comic book creation program from the 90s where you paste clipart characters into preset scenarios.

If you can't see that -- then that's not my problem. It has nothing to do with "insults" or "preference." I actually feel it's a bit of an insult to have to debate a clear fact. My view has nothing to do with nostalgia, preference, anger etc... I'm simply expressing a dislike for the graphics in SOR4 that have a look similar to clipart characters being pasted into environments that don't blend together well. The whole effect just doesn't look attractive to my eyes. I'd say it looks cheap and amateurish.

Of course, some people might like the style. I'm just saying I don't. That feeling isn't malicious -- it's just an honest expression of how I feel when I look at the graphics. I'd rather forget about SOR4, because it's not a game I'll be buying.
              Umm...

How can something ‘look’ 100% ‘like’ something else? That’s not a fact. The moment you use a comparison such as ‘like’, it’s no longer a fact.

Frankly, it’s an insult that you’re masquerading your opinion as a fact and then debating with a real, professional artist.

Comment

Clip art or not, for me it still looks pish.

Comment

I don't like the style.
                  But you never know, once you play it and toss someone through a phone box it might feel pretty sweet.

Comment

Feel like it’s an unpopular attitude to take, but I really WANT to like this game. I fear that it will be gash, but I hope it’s not. I will take it on its own merits, rather than focusing on what it isn’t.

Comment

Guessing there will be no surprises in the sense that we can probably make a good call on how we'll feel about the game based on what we've seen already. My thing with these games, all of this type of game, is that I love them for about ten minutes and then start to find them very repetitive. It is what has stopped my getting that Capcom Switch collection even though a big part of me really wants it.

Comment

See, I love the SOR games. On my most recent plays, I’ve still loved the combo of action, rhythm, beats, visuals and structure. I just hope this game continues this marriage.

Comment

Not diggin that new art direction at all, however if they manage to get the animation right, who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            Frankly, it’s an insult that you’re masquerading your opinion as a fact and then debating with a real, professional artist.
                            FIGHT!!!!!!

Comment

I've read the above and that's fair enough. The game could be quite alright though when you're moving through the stages and beating up punks.

The developers need to announce who else will be playable in the game though. Axel and Blaze is a good start but I know players want more than those two to play as when the game gets released.
                              Last edited by Paddy; 14-10-2018, 16:14.

Comment

Saw something today which reminded me of the art discussions over this:

<shudder>

Comment

Working...
                                X