No announcement yet.

Streets of rage 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I recall correctly, didnt SSF2THD let you use the original sprites...but only against the new backgrounds? It's been about ten years since I last played it but it was particularly jarring to see. Not sure if there was an option to replace the old skool backdrops?

I don't think Udon did a bad job (bit of a mammoth task there) but I just never really liked the look of the game, felt over-exaggerated and a bit flouncy. I'd like to give it another blast, got my 360 set up and don't think this is BC...

Comment

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. Looks class.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        If I recall correctly, didnt SSF2THD let you use the original sprites...but only against the new backgrounds? It's been about ten years since I last played it but it was particularly jarring to see. Not sure if there was an option to replace the old skool backdrops? I don't think Udon did a bad job (bit of a mammoth task there) but I just never really liked the look of the game, felt over-exaggerated and a bit flouncy. I'd like to give it another blast, got my 360 set up and don't think this is BC...
        It wasn't old sprites over new backgrounds, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
          Yeah, you could turn it on. That's exactly how it worked. I don't think anyone did but the option was there.

Comment

I never found out how! Are you sure, Asura?

I could never find a way. Just the original sprites over the Udon backdrops...which looked very odd and also seemed to 'ridicule' the original sprites.

Might've just been me but I could find no actual way to access the original in full old skool style with the orig 1994 backgrounds n sprites.

I was assuming the orig SF2 was already on Live and this wasn't trying to step on its toes.

Having said all that, I've had similar troubles trying to find the ingame brightness setting on XB1 MAFIA 3, recently. Took me frigging ages.

Comment

Anyway, I forgot to earlier but you know what I'm downloading right now!!!

Comment

And I've just downloaded it and fiddled a bit and, NO, there is no option for original backgrounds anywhere, even if you change sprite style in the settings or select 'Classic Arcade' upon starting Single Player.

And the sprites are all puffed-up like Sugar Puffs, blocky as hell with no discernible black outlines and then they're dunked straight onto 1080p Simpsons backdrops with slender black line work uber alles.

Naaaaah, naaaaah.

Help me find that special option, pal, this looks uglaaaay...

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  That's all I'm seeing at the moment, yeeh.

It's underwhelming. The game itself doesn't look BAD...just severely misguided in visual style (artistry, more than anything else).

You can't get much more HD-looking than Third Strike, this looks leagues below that and it's like seven/eight years older.

It's all in the artistry. But it IS a fun game but I'll only be playing it tonight, it's main USP back in 2009 was how many folk were playing it online.

Comment

Nope. Had to turn it off. Guile's stage playing as grey Blanka. Absolutely passionless feel to it all.

Nah. Naaaaaaaaah.

(Nargh).

Comment

Worth pointing out that USF2 on Switch allows you to play with original CPS-II sprites over original CPS-II backgrounds in way that HDR doesn't.

Comment

An early heads-up for people who aren't already aware.

Comment

Oh well no physical copy for me then. Or anyone else not in the right time zone for that matter.

Comment

****e company too.

Comment

They still get gams out quicker that you, precum breath.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                                They still get gams out quicker that you, precum breath.
                                I don’t recall you saying that when yours hadn’t turned up

Comment

Working...
                                X