Retro Arena: Random Licensed Coin-ops

Superman - Taito - 1988

Aliens - Konami - 1990

Spider-Man - Sega - 1991

Captain America & The Avengers - Data East - 1991

G.I. Joe - Konami - 1992

X-Men - Konami - 1992

Which one do you like the most?

Aliens may be the only one I've played from that set... So it'd be that. Though I did really enjoy it too.

Wasn't the X-Men game 4-player, and on a super-wide screen? I bet that'd be awesome back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Wasn't the X-Men game 4-player, and on a super-wide screen? I bet that'd be awesome back in the day.

It would still be awesome these days.

Comment

Of that lot, I've only played Superman and Aliens in the arcade. I actually liked Superman at the time, but then I would have only been 11, so easily impressed. I'll have to revisit it in Mame.
        I loved Aliens though and played it loads. They had it in our local video shop (along with SFII, Final Fight and a host of other treats), so I used to cane it every day after school. Great game.

Comment

Think they had pretty much all of these between Cornwall and Hayling Island back in my youth. Well all except G.I Joe, never seen that in the flesh. Got to be Spider-man for me, the point where the camera zooms out and you go up the building blew my young teenage mind.
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I'd say X-Men for me, just edging out the classic Aliens from Konami. Spider-man was always a bit flawed from Sega. Others are a mixed bag I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
              I loved Aliens though and played it loads. They had it in our local video shop
              I remember seeing it all over the place, so it was obviously a game that shop owners thought would attract attention. It was definitely a game I enjoyed putting a bit of money in for some blasting action.

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
              Got to be Spider-man for me, the point where the camera zooms out and you go up the building blew my young teenage mind.
              I remember the large sprites really impressed me. The whole look of the game captured a comic book vibe really well. I might try and play it on my Pi.

Originally posted by S3M View Post
              I'd say X-Men for me, just edging out the classic Aliens from Konami.
              Aliens is the one for me, but X-Men is also fun to play through.

Comment

WELCOME TO DIE!
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

G.I. Joe for me. No contest. I loved it back then, played it to death and might even have finished it.

Comment

Once you get past the pretty ordininary first level of Captain America it gets amazing Torn between that and Aliens which I have very fond memories of.

Comment

I enjoyed Superman in the arcade - probably the only good Superman game ever made.

Love Captain America and the Avengers. Rebought it again recently for Megadrive.

Comment

So, the big question: Aliens in the arcade, Alien 3 on the Mega Drive or Alien 3 on the SNES?

Personally, I love the Mega Drive game. Really atmospheric and tense, with a creeping sense of dread. I could do without the time limits though, they make it punishingly tough.

Comment

Alien 3 on the Master System ‘cos that’s the one I played...

Comment

I really enjoyed that Superman game back in the and chucked a lot of money into it. It played really well if I remember correctly but it has been so long since I have had a go. And the X-Men game was incredible due to being able to play it with so many people. I totally loved that game in the arcade. That's one arcade machine it would be amazing to get.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
                              Once you get past the pretty ordininary first level of Captain America it gets amazing .
                              I've only played the SNES version - and didn't think much of it. I'll have to play the coin-op and see if it's much better. I hope it does get "amazing" after the first level.

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                              So, the big question: Aliens in the arcade, Alien 3 on the Mega Drive or Alien 3 on the SNES?
                              I think they're all good in their own way, but I'd definitely choose the Aliens coin-op. Alien 3 on the MD has an interesting grimy look about it that makes it atmospheric. The SNES version has some impressive animation and effects. I think the MD version would easily be my second choice.

Alien 3 in the arcades is great.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              That's one arcade machine it would be amazing to get.
                              Yeah, it would be a must-have for me if I had a huge home. It just looks really impressive and cool.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-08-2018, 18:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X