Best way to play Super Street Fighter II/Turbo/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    I don't get how this was the case. The sprites are identical in terms of their outlines (like they literally took the silhouettes and drew inside them, so the edges of them are identical to the older games). Then again I haven't looked into it in much detail; I just played what was there.
    Be that as it may, the combos still don't land the way they are supposed to in HDR. That is crystal-clear when you compare it to the CPS-II original. Just because the sprites are presumed to be identical doesn't mean that the actual hitboxes are the same. Adjustments still have to be made and HDR's gameplay imo would suggest that they didn't do that. It is awful.

Comment

I really enjoyed Super Turbo on the 3DO for quite a few years. I know it's not perfect, but it was impressive back in '94. I would think subsequent versions for other 32-bit consoles and onwards are a better option though. The collection for the PS2 might be a good choice.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 31-08-2018, 18:33.

Comment

3DO is a very nice version, if i recall its a bit windowed and lacks parallax but still looks good and the soundtrack is great in parts, thinks its been reused a few times.

Comment

I might be wrong here, but isn’t Super SF II X on the 3DO a bit messed up (‘off’ hit boxes)?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            3DO is a very nice version, if i recall its a bit windowed and lacks parallax but still looks good and the soundtrack is great in parts, thinks its been reused a few times.
            I think the NTSC version might have slight borders. It lacks a few things, so not a perfect port, but I really liked it back in the day. The music sounded really good. Of course, there were better ports later on, but I have fond memories of getting the 3DO version for Xmas '94.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              Was considering this last night after realising I dont have a decent version of this - only that horrid HD thing they did on PS3. So following on from the SFC / MD / PCE throwdown - what is the best way to play SSFII (inc Turbo/X).

Taking into account everything really - resolution, load times, available controllers etc.

Any thoughts on the 32bit SF collection version for PS1/Saturn?

Word
              The Ps/Saturn ports were decent enough, but the Saturn missed a trick and introduced load times which were absent from their generation 5 collection of the earlier games in the series. On console Dreamcast is the way to go, outside of a CPS2 board. Always thought the 3DO version felt off. Pretty sure I played a PC version that was also wonky too...or maybe I'm making that up, old age hadn't left much of myemory intact.
              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I did once get to experience Super Street Fighter II Championship Turbo Tournament + Hyper Edition once in an arcade in Skegness back in the mid-90's. Oddly it was missing the Super characters and the speed was Benny Hill fast...

Comment

With the Dreamcast version I'm sure theres still frames of animation missing like most of the ports they did. I haven't played that version for years but I do remember that being the case.

As much as I liked all the ports that's one reason the arcade versions are better to emulate. Hyper was a lot of fun for me on Xbox Live it's one of the reasons I bought a 360. But it still was missing stuff. I prefer Hyper anyway to Super.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    I did once get to experience Super Street Fighter II Championship Turbo Tournament + Hyper Edition once in an arcade in Skegness back in the mid-90's. Oddly it was missing the Super characters and the speed was Benny Hill fast...
                    There were plenty of dodgy versions back in the day. I remember one where Ryu could do fireballs in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      There were plenty of dodgy versions back in the day. I remember one where Ryu could do fireballs in the air.
                      I remember going to the GamesMaster show in Birmingham - and they had an arcade set up with SF2 Black Belt Rainbow Edition that enabled all sorts of crazy things.

Comment

Yeah we had an arcade here that had some silly version like that. It was stupidly fast too. It was fun for about five minutes but all the changes to the moves made it barely playable as a fighter. At least that's what I remember at the time, many years before Marvel vs Capcom 2 which took the crazy and made it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          but all the changes to the moves made it barely playable as a fighter.
                          Yeah, it was funny to see them in action, but not fun to play. They felt broken.

Comment

Those bootleg versions were broken but they influenced Capcom to make Hyper. So some good came out of them, in a way.

Comment

There was a dodgy little arcade that opened up in town during my teens... they had a couple of Rainbow/Black Belt Edition cabs in there that were glitchy as hell. The portraits on the character selection screen were completely messed up, but you could do multiple fireballs and every move in the air. The novelty wore off quite quickly though as the games were too messed up to be playable.

Comment

The hack up here in Jackpot Portsmouth you could press the 1 player button to change character mid fight and do 2 fireballs at once that moved like intertwining snakes full nutter

Comment

Working...
                                X