Best way to play Super Street Fighter II/Turbo/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to play Super Street Fighter II/Turbo/X

Was considering this last night after realising I dont have a decent version of this - only that horrid HD thing they did on PS3. So following on from the SFC / MD / PCE throwdown - what is the best way to play SSFII (inc Turbo/X).

Taking into account everything really - resolution, load times, available controllers etc.

Any thoughts on the 32bit SF collection version for PS1/Saturn?

Word

FBA emulates the arcade versions perfectly and they look amazing; RGB-pi - crt all the way. You will never need to even think about playing a console version again. Perfect arcade resolution, perfect load times and play with any usb controller/stick. Did I say perfect?

Comment

I wonder how this one will go

Probably the Dreamcast version with an arcade stick

Comment

CPS2 of course!

Comment

NO!!! CPS CHANGER, LOSERS!!!!

In fact, it's the best way to play any game, full stop. #Jointheelite

Comment

It's a tricky one. People hate the HDR game, but I loved it because of how active the online community was, so I played hundreds of hours of it.

I also didn't dislike the visual/aural changes as much as most people.

These days I'm not sure I would recommend it.

How is the version on the new collection thing Capcom have released?

Comment

HDR was clearly made by people who love SF2 as much as we do and it deserves credit for that (I personally rate the remix soundtrack), but it is crap to play. The hitboxes are screwed up because of the redrawn sprites, messing up the way combos land. This also applies to USF2 on the Switch.

CPS-II, OG or emulation, is the way to go for SSF2/Turbo/X.

Comment

HD Remix is okay, if you switch to the old graphics The new art look was awful. I think the recent release is supposed to be pretty balanced but maybe in that case Remix on Switch with a Pro Controller given the poor state of modern dpads

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  HD Remix is okay, if you switch to the old graphics The new art look was awful. I think the recent release is supposed to be pretty balanced but maybe in that case Remix on Switch with a Pro Controller given the poor state of modern dpads
                  I haven't hooked up my 360 in AGES but iirc I'm pretty sure that the redrawn backgrounds on HDR can't be switched back to CPS-II original, therefore making it just look like an absolute mess when you play it with classic sprites on the new backgrounds.

At least USF2 on the Switch allows for complete changes between the original and HD artstyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    I haven't hooked up my 360 in AGES but iirc I'm pretty sure that the redrawn backgrounds on HDR can't be switched back to CPS-II original, therefore making it just look like an absolute mess when you play it with classic sprites on the new backgrounds.

At least USF2 on the Switch allows for complete changes between the original and HD artstyles.
                    Yeah, the classic thing in the older versions of HDR is bad. The backgrounds are still redrawn and the character-sprites aren't sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      HDR was clearly made by people who love SF2 as much as we do and it deserves credit for that (I personally rate the remix soundtrack), but it is crap to play. The hitboxes are screwed up because of the redrawn sprites, messing up the way combos land.
                      I don't get how this was the case. The sprites are identical in terms of their outlines (like they literally took the silhouettes and drew inside them, so the edges of them are identical to the older games). Then again I haven't looked into it in much detail; I just played what was there.

Comment

Putting aside the CPS option I'll go back to the DC version then

So, best way to play Street Fighter III?

Comment

Best way to play is using back-to-back candy cabs up at Arcade Club or down at the HoG.

Failing that I always felt the DC version with arcade stick was pretty indistinguishable from the arcade.

As for 3S, the console versions are decent and I spent a lot of time with the DC version, but none of them look and feel quite right so I’d opt for a RaPi with CPS3 emulator. Having said this I play weekly on Fightcade which is nothing like original hardware thanks to the lag, but it’s the only way I can regularly play against other players.

Comment

From experience, I'll tell you that the best way to play is to have a long trip away and only have access to a bootleg NES knockoff with a cart containing a bootleg SF game (probably labelled Street Fighter 5 and advertising 50 characters or something) and play that for a couple of months and nothing else. Then (and this is the good part) go home and head to an arcade and play the real thing. On that day, SSF2 will look and play like the most amazing game ever made and it will blow your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              From experience, I'll tell you that the best way to play is to have a long trip away and only have access to a bootleg NES knockoff with a cart containing a bootleg SF game (probably labelled Street Fighter 5 and advertising 50 characters or something) and play that for a couple of months and nothing else. Then (and this is the good part) go home and head to an arcade and play the real thing. On that day, SSF2 will look and play like the most amazing game ever made and it will blow your mind.
                              Pffft, you know the only way is to play the card game version that was only given out at Tokyo Game Show 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X