Critics Club II: 20 - Angelina Jolie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club II: 20 - Angelina Jolie

It's proving interesting as to how much more popular the male actor threads are to the female led ones, reflecting their real life popularity as well.

"Before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday, she will cast her vote and fall into a sleep like death"

Angelina Jolie

Vote for the movie you feel is their best whilst also discussing their other work, your reasons for voting and thoughts on what is their weakest.

Some will have very long lists so some trimming will be required to focus on the key entries but broadly the main selection will be available each time.
    Lookin' to Get Out
    0%
    Hackers
    0%
    Without Evidence
    0%
    Love is All There Is
    0%
    Foxfire
    0%
    Mojave Moon
    0%
    Playing God
    0%
    Hell's Kitchen
    0%
    Playing By Heart
    0%
    Pushing Tin
    0%
    The Bone Collector
    0%
    Girl, Interrupted
    0%
    Gone in Sixty Seconds
    0%
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
    0%
    Original Sin
    0%
    Life or Something Like It
    0%
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life
    0%
    Beyond Borders
    0%
    Taking Lives
    0%
    Shark Tale
    0%
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
    0%
    The Fever
    0%
    Alexander
    0%
    Mr & Mrs Smith
    0%
    A Good Shepherd
    0%
    A Mighty Heart
    0%
    Beowulf
    0%
    Kung Fu Panda
    0%
    Changeling
    0%
    Wanted
    0%
    Salt
    0%
    The Tourist
    0%
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    0%
    Maleficent
    0%
    By the Sea
    0%
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    0%

HACKERS! It is the only answer! In a way, I think this is also illustrative of the choices and what you're seeing in terms of the make actor threads being more popular, beyond the obvious - which is that Hollywood has traditionally assigned roles in a sexist way, retaining male stars while endlessly shuffling new younger women in the minor roles. Most of the picks so far have been very mainstream. So when there has been a standout genre type film (like The Shining), we can gravitate towards that, for example, rather than As Good As It Gets or whatever that film was. Julia Roberts as an example has fewer of those types of films and I don't know if a lot of us here get excited about Notting Hill... if she was in that, which I think she was.

But Hackers? I can get excited about that. That's a stone cold classic and Jolie is the anchor of that movie and has never been cooler than in that very accurate depiction of what it was like to use computers in the '90s. It's a great movie so it gets my vote.

Comment

Going to vote for Hackers, but that's just because I generally like Jolie's movies, and that was the one which made me aware of her.

Comment

That and you really really like that film [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]!

Comment

I've only seen her in Beowulf and Girl Interrupted, and I only watched the latter cos my then-wife made me... so Beowulf.

Comment

Working...
          X