No announcement yet.

EDF 5 PS4 (Earth Defense Force)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finished Nier:Automata and there's nothing else I fancy game-wise at all at the moment so I splurged on the digital pre-ordure for this .40 British pounds! Stupid. Anyway, I just wanted to say that if there's no-one else here playing this game on PS4 on December 11th there will be hell to pay.

Comment

I just finished Nier:Automata and there's nothing else I fancy game-wise at all at the moment so I splurged on the digital pre-ordure for this. 40 British pounds! Stupid. Anyway, I just wanted to say that if there's no-one else here playing this game on PS4 on December 11th there will be hell to pay.

EDF! EDF! etc. ...

Comment

Oops, duplicate posts. Sorry admins, please delete the one of your choosing!

Comment

Had them hosses! Not long now!

Comment

Hit level 90 which although haven't cracked is actually far easier than level 89 - which is how it goes sometimes in EDF. Only a few of the nests are of the traditional type but they have a metal engineered look rather than organic. Most of them are on stalks of various lengths and can drop in mid level like Spires in Resistance.
            Level 89 sees you up against a beehive, after shooting it enough you get a queen, then a couple of the spires then another queen along with a skyfull of bees who aren't that happy - understandable as you are trying to destroy their house.

Level 90 is more tripods in what I think is the best city setting, nice wide streets with an homage to Tokyo Tower.

Comment

Hit the motherhship level at 98, but not got that far into it, compared to the last level on EDF 4.1 it gets rocking pretty quickly.

Some good levels in the 90's as you should expect, a spider one with multiple queens plus nests/regenerators plus spiders on webs, another is a fantastic city based battle with waves of Frogs and Cybermen backed up with the regenerators, once again really good action being hounded by gangs of Cybermen.
              Another is set in the countryside, a few of the regenerators to take out but they are really spread out which adds to the difficulty, add to the fact some tripods which appear unexpectedly it's a very tricky level to navigate.

It's not all great though, there is also a very tedious level lifted straight out of one of the Vita games featuring queen ants and their kids, most of them in eggs. As with the Vita level you have to destroy the egg then the ant pops out, you have to shoot a set number of eggs before a large number hatch together and rush you. Thing is if you get rid of the queens first - tactically a good idea then you are left with large number of eggs to crack which gets very boring, it's made worse by the power station setting with loads of pipes that you have to jump over, this type of thing like the armco barriers in the towns and cities - which don't exist for the most part in towns and cities is my only bugbear in the EDF games.
              I also experienced a massive slowdown a couple of times in this level and I discovered a queen had got trapped in the scenery, once you killed her the problem went away.

Comment

Got it wrong about level 98, it's not the end...however a damn good level it is, lot's of Cybermen including some armour plated ones on a later wave, fear not one your guys turns up driving one of those super massive EDF mechs and takes them out for you - as long as you don't tempt them away.
                Loads of pickups on this level and huge satisfaction have replayed it umpteen times.

Level 99 is in the tunnels and a nice thought out one and quite spacious. Have to say the subterranean levels design-wise I think are so much better with a lot of thought going into them, some nice differing layouts featuring ramp like affairs which assist the balled-up woodlice (though these can fall of if they are not careful), got some slowdown on this one too with another boss spider getting stuck in the polygon scenery.

Level 100 is a huge battle unfortunately featuring multiple dino's, so exit, turn down the difficulty and get through asap - don't like these at all.

Onto 101 and a new enemy, super quick green ants - I think they are made of plastic and glass, there is certainly a 'tish' when you kill one and they go down pretty quick, problem is they are very, very fast and are on you in a flash. Two types, dark green and smaller light green which I guess are perhaps juveniles. Anyway, time to try out a new weapon, an Uzi type affair except it has a huge clip of over 2k rounds, Perfect.

Currently on 102 which has multiple generators protected by the shield enemies, Cybermen, spiders, red, grey and green ants. Very nice level which makes you take it slow as you need to take your guys out of hostile areas to boost their energy back up. Found another one of the weapons very useful here which I didn't bother with on EDF 4.1, the rocket launcher with the fast release and speed, the bog standard rockets can be a bit slow and fire rate lethargic as well, these, although not having a telescopic sight have a fire rate almost like a semi-auto and the rocket speed is great.
                All I need now is the skill to get through onto 103.
                Last edited by Anpanman; 20-11-2018, 20:01.

Comment

107 looks like the mothership level, a quick look and ran away very scared. At fist glance it's got everything the end level in EDF should have - loads of everything, dropships, Cybermen, all manner of other enemies and the mothership herself.

On the way there some really good levels, for those familiar with the ring of dropships on a later level in EDF 4.1 which had loads of replay value, well add-in a couple of Cybermen dropships and you have the EDF 5 version.

Have met the green ants a couple of times, whilst being very fragile and very easy to kill their signature move seems to be to swarm in absolute shedloads.

Level 98 as mentioned last week is getting a lot of replay value, great fun and tons of pickups.

Comment

Got it wrong again, 110 is the final level and after all the effort of getting there left me a bit deflated, no mothership for one, instead we have a new boss (accompanied by Cybermen) which reminds me of something I've seen on the last level of Toshinden 3 or similar in that it's human in form but unfortunately has these idiotic Tekken boss super moves. I dropped down to Normal level but that wasn't enough so had to do it on easy so I could unlock Hardest and Inferno.

Back to level 107 and its a really good one however 108 is the most brutal level I've experienced in EDF, starts with Cybermen, tripods plus waves of spiders and ants. Once you are clearing them flying stuff comes in along with a queen wasp, while that's kicking off a few generators arrive with queen spiders, the only thing missing are queen ants, fear not they make an appearance too. I noticed one of the generators looked 'different' and was taking loads of hits, then I realised it was generating queens...
                    Unlike the later levels in EDF 4.1 where you either had a set number of lots of enemies or dropships some distance away this is all in your face. Normally you would run away and try to shoot from a distance keeping your guys alive as long as possible, but the new mechanic of replenishing your guys health sometimes means that it's actually better to stay in the melee and try to collect health drops as well as picking off as many enemies as possible, I found it really difficult to re-train my brain to do this as it's against everything I had ever done in the game but worth it this time as I found the only way I could get through it.

109 has the mothership with some dropships and Cybermen but the level ends up with the mothership beating a retreat.

One other feature I had noticed - it definitely happens on 107 is that your dead guys can be/are automatically (I know not which for definite) brought back from the dead, I'm guessing it's the former as it happens after you collect a few extra health packs once your guys are all gone, sometimes your guys die and that's that, other times they die but their health bars are still visible though empty and they are crouching rather than lying prone on the floor.

Am now going through my favourite levels on Hardest but that's easier said than done, Hardest seems much more difficult than on EDF 4 and 4.1, Inferno really is a massive step up, on EDF 4.1 I could start going through fairly easily in Hardest and even clock a fair number on Inferno, on EDF 5 on Hardest I've only managed to do one level so far and none on Inferno. Luckily as mentioned on an earlier post sometimes you get rewarded with with weapon pickups and XP even though you got killed which I've managed to do.

Overall, I prefer the look and palette of EDF 4.1, EDF 5 has more of a Resistance Fall of Man feel, tripods and drones have that olive green camo colour rather than the shiny metallic of previous versions and the colour palette is turned down. EDF 5 has more 'forgettable' levels you might not want to play again but... the new game mechanics of weapons upgrades, collecting weapons and XP for the other characters, running up hills, health pickups and the Cybermen really do add a lot of excellent gameplay value - the Cybermen really are fantastic enemies. I've done 90% of the game with Ranger, if this had been EDF 4.1 I would be doing the collecting thing allover again with the other characters, now when I start to do the game with say Wing Diver I'll have some decent weapons plus a good stack of XP to go at.

Comment

I'm loving all your updates, [MENTION=6966]Anpanman[/MENTION], thanks.

Still on the fence with this as they've taken so long to releasing it in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I'm loving all your updates, @Anpanman, thanks.

Still on the fence with this as they've taken so long to releasing it in the West.
                        arl get yet!

Comment

Just over 5 hours to go!

Comment

Had a real old skool mission with prinnysquad. We rolled back the years, and played a load of missions split screen, fighting off all kinds of weird and wonderful baddies. Cherished memories of old battles gone by on the ps2 version came flooding back. Really enjoying EDF 5, loads of tweaks, graphical features, and action filled missions. I'm quite enjoying the weapon levelling too.

Also had some good games on line with Senor Vita! Ole!

Comment

A fantastic game. Classic gameplay is intact, with some stats-based tweaks to keep you hungry for those green box pick ups.

We played about 16 missions and encountered the standard ants, spiddas, drones and Queen ants. The frogs are a fabulous creation, full of guile and menace. The fact they are creatures and not robots add to their apparent cunning and threat. We had many a mission where we saw them clambering buildings to try and flank us.

The tripods make a welcome return. I like the fireball entrance (like EDF2) and the way they try to lance you when you get too close. The rolling armoured kaiju are great, too. I adore the walking base. It has a really good Verne steampunk vibe to it.

Stars of the show, though, are the greys. One of the best EDF enemies, without doubt. They way they fight to the bitter end, clambering along the floor, limbs blasted off - wow. They’re rock-hard and totally took my breath away when I levelled one with my grenade launcher only to see it pulling itself around, still trying to kill me.

Some utterly classic moments in that session. From the soldiers talking utter drivel over the headset, to the usual ne’er-say-die attitude you have to demonstrate to the bitter end, its all so familiar yet so exhilarating and satisfying. On one early mission, when I was just re-finding my EDF feet, I ended up charging at a hillside full of drones, ants, spiders and frogs, only to find myself hopelessly cut off from the main group of allies, and getting swarmed. My health was 15, 8, 5 then 1 for ages, as I retreated diving left and right, trying to avoid shots and grab a health pick up. The relief and sense of achievement when I slinked back was palpable.

Comment

Sounding good; might take a punt tonight - anyone playing online?

Comment

Working...
                                X