No announcement yet.

EDF 5 PS4 (Earth Defense Force)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey! Confidence shaking revelations right there!

Comment

Fun and frolics last night.

On one mission I spent 90% of the time flying between fallen me, healing them. It was insane!

Comment

On mission 88 this morning with this absolute moron. It’s the cave mission with the transporters.

I was Wing Diver, health 780. It was on hard.
        A Japanese guy was a ranger, health 868.
        The host was a wing diver. Health 324.

I spent the whole time resurrecting the fool. After about the 8th aborted mission I changed to Ranger, health 2100. It meant I couldn’t just fly around fixing those two.

Another 3 failures and wing diver gimp pleaded ‘any ideas?’
        Pick a character with more than 324 health! Might be a start!!!

In the end, Japanese guy picked a 1000 health fencer. Mein host didn’t change.
        The fool died within a minute. Fencer and I took out as many of the transport portals as we could, before new ones grew from the central pillar of rock. He fell to the bottom of the chasm, so I followed him. We just stuck together and kept resurrecting each other, working our way to the top, ignoring Ring Diver’s demands to be resurrected. We managed the mission with some ease, after everything.

It narks, though. I lost three stacked completions for that mission with the wing diver, whereas Billy Tosspot got them, despite being useless. Who’s the fool?

Comment

Yeah, you gotta be careful with people low ranked attempting Hard difficulty.
          Pleasure helping mates, especially if you're dragging them into the fray, but 0.01%ers need to run before they can walk.

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Fun and frolics last night.

On one mission I spent 90% of the time flying between fallen me, healing them. It was insane!
          Yeah, cheers for that, Prin.
          Wing Diver can become a bit of a field medic at times like that.
          I took the wrong weapons in as I didn't know there were shields.
          I had all request missiles and so on which worked a treat on the previous missions.
          If we had died, I'd have taken the right kit in, but the EDF never give up and we muddled through to victory thanks to your air ambulance service!

Did a couple of fun missions before you joined.
          Paris in the spring and a load of greys are attacking right from the off.
          Called in some sweet missile strikes, but they keep coming.
          Got a mech and climbed on top of a building for another strike, but they then all came at me (bro).
          Dropped down and they were all lining up in the narrow gap between French Classicism buildings to be blasted by roboflame and mechashotguns.

Comment

Not posted any pics for a while.

I'm starting to appreciate the tiny details you tend to miss in the heat of battle.
            The Ranger has a grenade launcher and when you reload, it ejects the spent cases and they make a metallic tinkle as they fall to the floor.
            The rocket launcher tank with 10 rounds fires them sequentially and a little puff of smoke comes out of each tube in turn.
            The Wing Diver's jetpack folds the wings in when you've spent the energy, then click back in place when recharged.

I like the design of the vehicles too. The helicopter looks badass, but those mechs are brilliant.
            Some of the nicest designs since the last Armored Core and I definitely prefer them to Lost Planet's (except maybe the merging one!).

I wanted to capture a snap of the King spider as it really is mahoosive and there's a real Father Ted "Little cow/far away cow" moment when you realise how big they are.

I was playing for ages last nights redoing missions just before where I was up to with the Air Raider, only for the host to quit out. I ended up only doing one new mission, but it was a blast. It's the one where you take out the anchors, then spiky dino rolls up. Tried out a massive missile which demolished even the big anchor, but it reloads with kills, not time.
            Look at this bad boy!

Called in da choppah and flew up and landed on a building where I targeted the roller from afar and he ran off pleasingly fast. Look how the missile lights him up.
            It's easy to forget that each level is completely destructible, sometimes.

Sometimes, I get to marvel at the sheer spectacle going on.
            This wasp attack ending in the town getting splashed in alien slime.
            Love how the city gets a repaint in real time.

This is the level me and [MENTION=7343]prinnysquad[/MENTION] did, but I was a Wing Diver last night.
            Demolished the shields and the aliens guarding it. The drones were trickier as I had short-range weapons, so took the fight to them.
            I wanted to take a snap because the mothership drops these giant green energy blasts and everything gets bathed in a green light until it hits, then there's a massive explosion (catching unwary n00bs a lot) and the sky goes black as everything gets lit up, and then there's a blast wave and you can see dust clouds blowing outwards and the trees bending.
            It's a great effect, that you tend to miss when WWIII is happening around you.

The mission where you first meet the tadpoles is fun.
            As I'd played it a few times, I knew their swooping pattern, so just hovered in their path emptying my rapier's casket, which worked brilliantly.
            Took this snap during the first wave which is easy, but wanted to show the pandemonium on the ground.

Showed some n00bs how to do the car park trick and they were so impressed they did it again, then again at a higher difficulty. It's just manic when you can't see anything but green!

I'm still loving this and playing it most nights.
            I'm procrastinating playing as the Fencer as I find him too sluggish.
            [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]' standard loadout is pretty good with a double-bloodstorm for fighting and spears for dashing.

EDF! EDF!

Comment

I had a couple of very brief sessions this weekend just gone; one on hard where the guy leading the party gave a nice heads-up before one mission that the MLRA was particularly useful if I was going to play as Ranger. Turns out the entire mission was just wave after wave of bees, and almost every time I pressed the trigger I'd have locked onto a full stock of 15 in no time at all. Good times.

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm struggling with the two top difficulty levels to the point where I'm not enjoying it. I might be burnt out by this one already.

Edit to add: And by that I mean that my enjoyment of the game is up to and including HARD setting. I actually think it's my favourite EDF, but the two next settings up turn it in to a chore for my lesser skills!
                Last edited by Colin; 03-04-2020, 19:07.

Comment

I honestly think the game shines in co-op, even though solo is still a blast.

Comment

Told you Col.

Get a month’s pass. Then if you don’t use it, it’s no biggie.

Comment

Couple of class missions this morning with VP. I used the wing diver to fly up to the top of the lanterns and blitz them, before scuttling away for VP to take everything out. Then I went out on pickup.

Then some great missions against frogs in the city. I played the distraction and pickup role, while VP did the grunt work. So nicely balanced.

Comment

That's what I mean about the co-op being so ace, you all do your bit. I love how you can try different approaches to solving a level.

Tried the final mission, but a low %er (0.46% or something stupid) with 500 health messed it all up.
                        I got booted so another low %er could come in. I doubt they finished it as it was set to Hard.
                        It's not just a capsule toy machine dropping gifts, it's a great game with some thrilling moments to savour and enjoy.

Case in point, my man [MENTION=2625]randombs[/MENTION] joined me on the level with a gazillion frogs.
                        Took ages, but felt satisfaction in chipping away to amphibian dominance.

Next level saw a couple join us in the caves.
                        I had no health, everyone was dead and it was game over... almost.

The EDF never give up.

Took out the last few small fry and got a morsel of health. Enough.

Three frogs lined up behind a ledge, ready to blast me, but a small gap above them meant I could loop behind them.

Crept around the corner and got the Fencer upright. With him distracting them, I double backed and eradicated them.

Au revoir, sale crapaud.

Proper action film storytelling.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          I wanted to capture a snap of the King spider as it really is mahoosive and there's a real Father Ted "Little cow/far away cow" moment when you realise how big they are.
                          Managed to do 69 on Inferno, that has plenty of the King Spider's but also a White King Spider which is even worse,

Usually it ends like this;

Today though I got the upper hand;

Take that ya bast;
                          Last edited by Anpanman; 05-04-2020, 18:54.

Comment

Nice!!!!!!!! Scratch one Spunky Spidda!

I tried solo this morning on hard, with the wing diver. Level 30 something on the open fields. Just wasn’t on my game. I kept getting nailed off the wave of drones.

Comment

Few great missions with VP using dual wing divers on normal in the caves. Those queen ants don’t like the splasher gun raining a blue terror upon them.

Then he decided he was too tired, and like a great big sweaty minge crack, slinked off. Apparent the EDF DO give up. If you’re a fanny.

Comment

...should have gone to bed, but I've been struggling with a mid 30s mission.

Hard. Field of dropships, all their spawns with drones and frogs to protect them.

I kept going in, but those shotgun toads are brutal.

Got a partner, but he was struggling too.
                                Eventually joined by a couple 100%ers.
                                They sagely suggested picking off as many drones as possible without disturbing the frogs, which worked brilliantly.

Still took ages, but slowly, slowly, killy froggy.

Went to bed far too late, but happy.

Just clocked 100 hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X