Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to the megadrive mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever happened to the megadrive mini?

Does anyone know whatever became of this? I'm not talking about that shatgames genesis flashback i'm talking about the smaller japanese one shown during a sega press conference that sega were supposed to be taking care of themselves the one that doesn't have a cart port and is a lot smaller than the flashback. Still living in hope that there is a decent HDMI megadrive with proper emulation.

In the meantime i can get my md fix via the snes mini as it emulates md perfectly with a beautiful sharp scanlined hdmi image but i still would have liked a mini md that did the same so i could play with the proper pad.

Atgames confirmed that they are making the Megadrive Mini, so everyone promptly stopped giving a **** and forgot about it.

Comment

Well that's a disappointment, how many chances have Sega had now to actually put out a plug & play that's actually good? So either Sega has quietly shelved the Japanese version which is why nothing else have come out about it even on Japanese websites or they have gone back to the drawing board and are making it themselves (i hope it's this) which might explain why shatgames quickly deleted their tweet. The market has already proven that if you release a decent plug & play they will sell like mad, Nintendo got it right on their first go so sega has no excuse with all the previous attempts they have had.

As much as i'm mainly a Nintendo gamer there are games in the MD library that i still do enjoy. Would be easy money for Sega if they did it right.

Comment

SErvice GAmes are not coming back to mainstream console hardware development in any way, shape or form and the sooner people accept that the better, sadly.

Comment

They should just ask Nintendo to make it lol

Comment

Yep. They really should.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Yep. They really should.
              Yeah, I mean jokes aside, rebadge and rebox the SNES mini. Job done.

Comment

That'd be perfect. But make the joypad ports the same. So I can use the SNES Mini joypad.

Comment

Even using a unofficial retroarch MD emulator core it already has better emulation than all of Sega's official attempts, All they would have to do is change the UI to make it MD themed and add a pad and matching shell to the board and bam, a decent HDMI MD mini. In fact im suprised nobody has thought of making conversion kits to just house the SNES mini board.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    They should just ask Nintendo to make it lol
                    M2 given their long-standing relationship

Comment

I'd settle for anyone as long as they did a proper job.

Comment

It looks like you have already done it!

Comment

Can’t they work with JVC and release a mini Wondermega?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            It looks like you have already done it!
                            Not quite the same though, yeah sure i at least have the games working & looking fantastic but it would be much nicer to have a proper mini megadrive sat in front of me and me to be playing with a megadrive pad. Same with pc engine, i'd totally love a mini version but seeing as konami owns most of hudsons assets now we can pretty much forget that ever happening.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Can’t they work with JVC and release a mini Wondermega?
                            Hehe that would be awesome with some megacd games built in, call it the wondermini and we are done.

Comment

I’m quite surprised we haven’t seen a Chinese ‘MegaPi’ case based on the Genesis USB hub moulds.

And that’d be why there’s no decent PC Engine Pi case: there’s no official design to copy...

Comment

Working...
                              X