X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes - hope you guys are coping ok.

Comment

So sorry to hear about your mum, gunrock.

I reckon she's enjoying afternoon tea with QC's mom right about now.

Comment

I'm really sorry for your loss Gunrock. I really wish you guys all the care in the world.

Comment

Condolences to qualitychimp and to gunrock

Comment

Priti Patel *RAGE*

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Priti Patel *RAGE*
              In general or has she done something particularly noxious today? I must say, after she sold out Muslim women by endorsing Johnson's racism in a dirty exchange for the Home Office job, she had already hit rock bottom.

Comment

In general. Everytime I see her and hear her hypocritical bull****, I want to break something.

"Patel said that she would not “take lectures” from the opposition about racism because she had been a victim of it herself."

**** off! Being a "victim" of prejudice does not mean you can't be accused of intolerance and prejudice yourself. Bitch.

Comment

That subject was one of the most fascinating ones of recent times to follow when it was discussed on Era. The idea that it is impossible for an individual of another ethnic background to be racist to a white individual. That's a complicated subject with a lot of factors and avenues but at no point is being a victim of prejudice yourself a Get out Jail Free card to s--- on others or be prejudice yourself without valid due reason

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    That subject was one of the most fascinating ones of recent times to follow when it was discussed on Era. The idea that it is impossible for an individual of another ethnic background to be racist to a white individual. That's a complicated subject with a lot of factors and avenues.
                    Why might that be considered impossible? Is it is because whites are culpable for all of the slavery and colonialism in history?

Comment

While I'm not sure I agree totally but I'd just be splitting hairs regarding definitions and that's probably not helpful and also I might explain this incorrectly (apologies if I do), the idea is that in practical terms it's about a power dynamic and there is pretty much no situation in Western countries where people of colour can meaningfully discriminate against white people in any way that would affect their life. Whereas people of colour experience this discrimination all the time. So the idea is that you can't equate these two things and call them racism. And that part I would find hard to argue against. When white people feel discriminated against, it's usually that they don't want to share their obvious positions of privilege and that is in no way comparable to what people of colour go through.

Comment

That's exactly it, the discussion on there became fractured because some of the posters couldn't seperate the elements of institutional racism from that of one person to another at an individual level and so took a blanket stance to all scenarios. Given Era is a predominantly US based users site it's that extra heated because of the situation there and the history and experiences involved. It's unquestionable that western power dynamics directly and indirectly benefit white individuals above others and that that system needs to be broken down and stopped but the existence of that system doesn't write a blank cheque for any one individual to persecute another individual to individual on the basis of their ethnicity even if it's understandable that their experiences have led them to their views.

It's one of the difficulties in addressing inequality because there's understandably a lot of frustration and anger involved which even if true equality is achieved, that anger about the past will still exist because no-one will ever really answer for past inequality.

Comment

Thanks. That 'practical' angle makes more sense than the blanket 'ethical/historical' statement I mistakenly took it to be.

Comment

VICE on FB irks me. I've seen several 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' posts indicating statues that *might* need to be lobbed in a canal, obviously indicating a certain message to the subconscious of a certain subculture...

I don't think VICE will be getting in trouble, somehow, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              I've seen several 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' posts indicating statues that *might* need to be lobbed in a canal, obviously indicating a certain message to the subconscious of a certain subculture...

I don't think VICE will be getting in trouble, somehow, though.
                              It's asinine, isn't it? It's often historically ignorant and serves only to inflame the far right. Baden-Powell is the latest to get it, due to holding eugenicist views. Before WWII everyone was a eugenicist. Of course we consider it abhorrent but it was as acceptable and incontrovertible a 'science' then as climate change is now, upheld similarly by the leading minds of the day. Maybe Le Corbusier, George Bernard Shaw and Marie Stopes should get it next, and every woman/partnership that relies on the contraceptive pill should stop in protest as it emerged from eugenicist science.
                              Last edited by Golgo; 11-06-2020, 15:11.

Comment

It's ridiculous. And idiotic. And incredibly irresponsible. It used to be a cool mag I got free in Jumbo Records and now it's some sinister, slithering, changeable thing that seems to think it's found a bit of power at the mo and, well, they can fart right off if you ask me.

The intelligence seems as though it has been completely dismantled and stupidity is its new replacement. Sod that, I'm keeping hold of what's left of my mind for as long as I faahkin can.

Comment

Working...
                                X