Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip side is that motorists kill cyclists so swings and roundabouts and all that. I agree with you. I am one of the rare cyclists that won't break a red light and it really bugs me that people do. But I don't know what it's like where you cycle but, here in Dublin, it is a very hostile place to cycle. Motorists speed up on orange and regularly break red lights in rush hour and the difference there is that they will kill us. They have their radios blaring, a bunch are on their phones in spite of all kinds of laws and campaigns and the roads just aren't built for cyclists in spite of being a city where a large amount of people should be able to cycle to work. There is an extent to which cyclists here are just trying to survive. That shouldn't be the way it is.

Comment

Cyclists are a bit of a pain in the arse though. I'm a perennial pedestrian, and here in London cyclists will ride right at you, cycle all over the pavement on roads which are quiet anyway, swerve round you at speed while you cross the road, all sorts. At least cars, in deference to the fact that they could actually kill you, rather than just injure you, will generally not do that. Although zebras are often not respected so maybe I hate motorists too. Also joggers. Once a jogger whistled at me to get out of the way, presumably because of the inalienable moral superiority conferred by spending their time exercising.

Basically it's best to stay home because other people are generally quite annoying

Comment

I've bought like 3 graphics cards (1060, 1070, 1070 Ti) in the past 2 weeks... What am I doing lol

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
          Although zebras are often not respected so maybe I hate motorists too.
          What do you mean by "not respected"?
          Out of curiosity, without looking, what do you think the law is on Zebra Crossings?
          Are you saying the cars should be stopping?

Always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

Comment

Mate, if you lived in my area, you wouldn't be stepping onto that crossing until you knew someone was going to stop! Half the time people speed up when they see you might be approaching it.

Roaring towards it at top speed when there are people waiting for a safe moment to inch out is a dickhead move.

Edit: sorry, that's not meant to sound personal QC. I'm just in a grumpy mood today
            Last edited by wakka; 04-09-2018, 12:11.

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. I live 2.6 miles from work and can ride pretty much all the way there down side streets, and pedestrianised parts of town. In fact, apart from crossing a dual carriageway where there are lights directly where I come out and a 100 yard section of main road, I pretty much never encounter motorists, especially in the morning.

Comment

Mate, if you lived in my area, you wouldn't be stepping onto that crossing until you knew someone was going to stop! Half the time people speed up when they see you might be approaching it.

Roaring towards it at top speed when there are people waiting for a safe moment to inch out is a dickhead move.

Edit: sorry, that's not meant to sound personal QC. I'm just in a grumpy mood today
                Not a problem, I understand!

It was two parts, really; asking what you meant in your area and what you thought the law was.
                Most people think cars have to stop at a zebra crossing, but they don't.

My irk: My car won't start. Flat battery.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

It was two parts, really; asking what you meant in your area and what you thought the law was.

If your foot is in the road then a car legally has to stop without fail at a zebra crossing, if someone is just meandering towards it on the pavement then you don't.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 04-09-2018, 13:28.

Comment

My understanding of the law was that, as a motorist, you should watch the edges of crossings carefully. If you see someone who likes they might want to cross, you should slow down. Once they step onto the zebra you must stop completely. You then cannot start moving again until they have completely moved off the zebra - this last bit, basically no one obeys!

Anyway. As I say, grumpy today. Didn't get enough sleep. Sorry to hear about your car.

Comment

My understanding of the law was that, as a motorist, you should watch the edges of crossings carefully. If you see someone who likes they might want to cross, you should slow down. Once they step onto the zebra you must stop completely. You then cannot start moving again until they have completely moved off the zebra - this last bit, basically no one obeys!

Anyway. As I say, grumpy today. Didn't get enough sleep. Sorry to hear about your car.
                      Yeah, that's exactly it.
                      A lot of people think the car HAS to stop at a zebra crossing, but they're just encouraged to do so.

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
                      • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
                      • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
                      • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
                      • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

Comment

Litter. I'm fortunate enough to live in a lovely part of the world - a national park full of mountains, forests, lakes and lots of wildlife. Real picturesque place, a paradise even, whose beauty attracts a lot of tourists. Went blackberry picking yesterday, down the valley, past the lake and along the trail to a lovely hidden pond full of lilies and ducks and swans and there was a lucozade bottle thrown right into the middle of the water lilies. I know it had been thrown there as no wind/tide combination could have gotten it there. Annoying.

Comment

I'd always stop at a zebra crossing if someone was waiting.

As for cyclists - Round were I now live you see them regularly but not in high numbers. However their riding being of a poor standard is easily more common than drivers when you factor in the ratios. I'll get two or three muppet drivers per week out of countless cars encountered compared to 1 in 10 cyclists actually doing it right. It's the trouble with the way blame is handled, there's a default nature against drivers because the driver is at less person physical risk but it's a bad approach that leads to the wrong mindset. Road networks need a lot of money spending on them to make them up to scratch for cyclists and the government needs to do so, but on the flip side the law needs to catch up to the realities of cycling massively and more cyclists need to take on the personal responsibilities of being road users and the dangers they can pose to themselves and others.

Comment

This talk of Zebra Crossings has reminded me of when I saw a 4X4 drive around a Lollypop Lady and crossing School Children on one a few years back. She just continued at a steady 30mph and went round them like it was a simple obstacle!
                            I thought about following her to her destination and killing her.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              This talk of Zebra Crossings has reminded me of when I saw a 4X4 drive around a Lollypop Lady and crossing School Children on one a few years back. She just continued at a steady 30mph and went round them like it was a simple obstacle!
                              I thought about following her to her destination and killing her.

Wow, that got dark at the end!

Comment

Wow, that got dark at the end!
                                He only thought about it

Comment

Working...
                                X