Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most young people at 12 (especially young boys), have a big curiousity for things they probably shouldn’t be looking at - unfortunately the internet pretty much busts this wide open and makes accessable, imagery that could haunt a child for a long time. However I remember growing up around that age seeing pictures of things in books like the holocaust / mass genocide / nazi experimentation in camps etc that I can still see clearly today.

Comment

1. Some children (some) probably are looking at horrible images on the Internet however it doesn't mean they're minds are capable of dealing with this.

2. With this in mind, a school should in no way be using and showing the details of a heinous crime to children to make a point, even if the school are already aware that some kids (some) look at far worse. It's utterly irresponsible. A strongly worded letter containing words like "the press will be notified" and "my local MP" should kick them in the arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I think he's just saying they see these things anyway. And maybe some do but I reckon most don't. Firstly, there are very few things worse than the Bulger case. You'd have to put in some real work to get much darker. Secondly, I suspect a good chunk of 12 years olds don't yet have unfiltered access to the internet. Among those who do, many will be pretty new to it and I can only imagine that the worst of what's out there is harder to find than it was in the early days of the internet (I do not miss those days) so it requires a level of knowledge that I think many in that age range won't have. And, as hard as it may be to believe, I think the 12 year olds who want access to this stuff will be in the minority.

Regardless, none of it offers a justification for going through the details of the Bulger case in a class full of kids.
        That’s a less reactionary way of putting it!

Comment

Started to get a bit hyped about Smash bros coming out after pre-ordering back in August. Swear a month or 2 ago I saw Paypal have a notice about it awaiting for the payment to come out early so I thought it had all been paid off.

Get email, that I only got just now, which was sent around midnight apparently, that there was a payment problem. Confirmed again and now I wait to see if I ever get the damn thing, I was really looking forward to playing it over the weekend and my plans are now poop.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
            Thanks guys, I'm glad it's not just me.
            What a horrible ordeal he must've gone through.

As for what 12 year olds get up to in their spare time, there's a world of difference between a shocking GIF your mate sends and having to pick apart the Bulger case at school where you have to pay attention.

It's an unfortunate irony that it's much easier for kids to opt-out of the former than the latter.

I'm really glad to hear your big brother helped out with this, but God knows what the school was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised "it's not as bad as what's on the internet!" was an actual viewpoint held by whoever was involved.

Comment

I remember when the Bulger case came back in the tabloids when one of the murderers was arrested again maybe 5-6 years ago when I was working in a dementia nursing home. My own nan (not at the home but had dementia), like the residents, remembered this story out of all others when we had our day looking at the papers. Alot of our carers were from abroad or in their late teens and had no idea about it and it was the task of me and 2 of my colleagues to relate it to them. It was a rather interesting day, how the residents suddenly remembered a news story so clear and were very talkative that day, and the horror of the staff hearing it/ knowing what it was about.

I don't think it should be 100% censored from children but that case in particular going into detail is pretty raw for a 12 year old. I remember when I was 12-13 we were taught about prisons and had some dude in with make shift weapons they had made from razor blades on toothbrushes and spoke (in detail) about how one guy got cut open and had to hold his guts in a tesco's bag on the way to hospital. It was gruesome, most kids laughed it off but a fair few of us were shook by it and the teacher got a few complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                I don't think it should be 100% censored from children.
                When things happen, it's crucial to arm kids with a certain level of information because they WILL hear things from other kids. So yeah, I completely agree with this sentiment when it's in the present. But so long after the fact, I can't possibly imagine any reason whatsoever to go through details of the Bulger case with 12 year old kids now. Why would you? You absolutely can't shield kids from real life but a huge number of kids are very sensitive, often much more sensitive than they appear to be, and how things like this are presented to children is very important and not easy at all. It's better to err on the side of the most sensitive kid in the class.

Comment

Teacher: So, that end today's lesson. Now, who can tell me what we've learned today?

Class: If a stranger asks you if you want to be in a human centipede say NO.

Comment

I'm a Celeb. First run I've watched in 10 years and it still proves the public can't be trusted to vote the right choice at all
                    <<Insert Brexit joke>>

Comment

So we took a second viewing of a shop that we wanted to take on for our new business today. We came away thinking yes, it's the one, and told the guy as much but we'd have to let our solicitor go over the terms and other legal stuff,which was promptly sent over. I won't go in to detail as legally I couldn't say it anyway, but the upshot was "do not touch with a bargepole". I'm irked as we kind of had our hearts set on the place, but I could just as easily post this in the happy thread due to how our solicitor saved us from being absolutely shafted. Oh well, back to the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        So we took a second viewing of a shop that we wanted to take on for our new business today. We came away thinking yes, it's the one, and told the guy as much but we'd have to let our solicitor go over the terms and other legal stuff,which was promptly sent over. I won't go in to detail as legally I couldn't say it anyway, but the upshot was "do not touch with a bargepole". I'm irked as we kind of had our hearts set on the place, but I could just as easily post this in the happy thread due to how our solicitor saved us from being absolutely shafted. Oh well, back to the hunt.
                        Good to hear Colin and at least your solicitor is doing it’s job properly. The right one will come along.

Comment

Facebook Marketplace is rough. 20+ people trying to badger you into lowering your price and one shady bastard waiting until he had my address before getting really aggressive with the "bargaining". Had to tell him to get stuffed in the end.

Probably wasn't the best idea to try and sell something from my home when it's just me here but then I didn't expect people to be wanting to collect it tonight either. Bit of naivety on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                            Facebook Marketplace is rough. 20+ people trying to badger you into lowering your price and one shady bastard waiting until he had my address before getting really aggressive with the "bargaining". Had to tell him to get stuffed in the end.

Probably wasn't the best idea to try and sell something from my home when it's just me here but then I didn't expect people to be wanting to collect it tonight either. Bit of naivety on my part.
                            Facebook selling reminds me of selling stuff in your local paper before the net. Brings out all the nutjobs.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself lol.

Comment

Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                                X