Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My steady growing irk is the lack of compassion in the world at present, more and more everything is just about greed and money and the lack of people thinking about the future. I must admit over the past few years I've run into a lot of people I knew when I was younger and few of them seem to be happy. Lots of them seem to have made bad choices and it's really made me reflect on the future. I don't think many realise the storm that might hit in March depending how this whole Brexit mess ends.

I like to do more to help to better society, but having been a member of the Labour party for a few years now, I realised that my local party is a bit corrupt in places and there a clear clique running the show. There's some dodgy going ons in both the Labour City Council and Tory Country Council and it's irking me there is no over watch on councils and their actions. They should be helping the city, but there seems to be a lots of fingers in the pie instead. Rooting out bad apples isn't easy either in the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      My steady growing irk is the lack of compassion in the world at present, more and more everything is just about greed and money and the lack of people thinking about the future. I must admit over the past few years I've run into a lot of people I knew when I was younger and few of them seem to be happy. Lots of them seem to have made bad choices and it's really made me reflect on the future. I don't think many realise the storm that might hit in March depending how this whole Brexit mess ends.

I like to do more to help to better society, but having been a member of the Labour party for a few years now, I realised that my local party is a bit corrupt in places and there a clear clique running the show. There's some dodgy going ons in both the Labour City Council and Tory Country Council and it's irking me there is no over watch on councils and their actions. They should be helping the city, but there seems to be a lots of fingers in the pie instead. Rooting out bad apples isn't easy either in the current system.
      You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t keep its greedy little sticky fingers out the treasury.

People are generally s**t and they will happily step on anyone else to keep their heads above water.

Comment

I'm ill, but not flu, or something. I have these sinus pains and headaches, and as a result, I can't do any work.

It's really frustrating because I feel fine. Like I was in bed earlier, and I feel great. But the moment I start reading or watching TV or staring at a screen, I feel it coming on again and I just have to stop.

I'm one of those people who will normally drag themselves to work unless they literally can't get there, so I almost feel like a fraud, but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not well.

Comment

Aaaaand my Minidisc hifi has finally given up the ghost. It's an MD595 and it's refusing to recognise discs. I guess I'll have to get rid.

Might look into getting a sound-bar instead.

Comment

Just had a barney with my beloved blood-red Dual Shock 3 controller. I paid a decent whack for it quite a few years back but after some time, maybe a year or so, it started doing this 'thing' where it would auto push up on startup, meaning it'd take a bit of fiddling to get it to work right (like the up sensitivity was set a micro-smidgen too much). Anyway, it's always annoying but manageable once you tweak it slightly.

So, just decided to stick the PS3 on to check if a movie called 'Get Out' is on Netflix. And the controller seems to be behaving OK until I try and search and then the cursor's all over the place, going up again and the buttons are doing stuff like they're all being pressed at once, even though they're not all being pressed at once.

And then I'm ragin', I *MASH* it into the floor with great speed and power about six times, demon voice mode growling "what is it ****in DOING??!!" then I *TWIST* it, *REND* it, feel the plastic bending slightly in my angry, massive hands...and then I *LAUNCH* it against the floor so hard it bounces about three feet in the air.

And then it works perfectly. But there's a rattle inside it now, it's a rattler. I've either fixed it in a Fonzie way or I've wrecked some function. God knaars. But I really did lose my ish over something so trivial, it was a real Basil Fawlty moment and I'm not too proud tbh...

Comment

Also irks me that I found out that I'd got the job I interviewed for three weeks ago. I should he happy, really, but the interview was on a Wed and they said they'd let me know on the Fri...

...and Resi 2 had just come out and I had the next week off annual leave and it was my intention on the Fri (IF I'd got the job) to treat myself to a brand new, full price, release day Resi 2 and play it through and chat about it with you guys on the First Play thread. Me buying a game full price on release date rarely happens so it's a special thing. It was gonna be my treat of 2019.

But it took them three weeks, and I hear it was through their incompetence. Apparently, I interviewed brilliantly and I waa recommended from the off. There was no question I'd get it. They messed up behind the scenes. Some office mix-up by some faceless, chair-based entity meant I missed out on my brand new Resi 2 treat of 2019.

It's a tiny thing but it's really annoying. It's not FRESH anymore. It was meant to be FRESH...and now I'll probably hold off for a sub-£15/£20 preowned copy for about six months, now.

Gah.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                Just had a barney with my beloved blood-red Dual Shock 3 controller
                I bought a PS3 recently and the controller was doing what you describe - pressing buttons/directions randomly. I opened it up and found the buttons press a flexible sheet that is 'connected' to the controller's circuit board by way of some lines and sticky tape. The lines need to match up exactly or weird things will happen. I lined them up, closed the controller and it worked perfectly.

Chances are your outburst did the same thing

Here's the guide I used. It was done and dusted within about fifteen minutes.

Comment

Loo window is not water-tight, flat upstairs called the window cleaners who accidentally cleaned ours as well (lower floor flat). I can hear water dripping in the house like there is a leak and find water pouring out the sides of this window and down the wall.

Point out yet another thing wrong with the flat we live in to add to a long list (Moldy bathroom, damp creeping along living room wall since day one, ongoing issue with kitchen etc) emailing the landlord. Landlord thanks for letting them know and is asking for an extra £50 a month, stating if we left they would get an extra £350 a month. Cheeky ****s!

They have left everything to be fixed when we move out and only fixed emergency things/ things that have upset the neighbours. Don't think they will get that sort of money as soon as we move out, there is weeks of damp proofing and redecorating to do!!! We can survive here for a bit longer but it's the final push to look to move house, I HATE moving house but I hate our current bathroom more.
                  Last edited by Blobcat; 15-02-2019, 17:33.

Comment

[MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure we have all raged a controller into the void. I've slam dunked a DS3 in to the ground before, it shattered like glass. It was followed by the regret and knowledge that id have to fork out for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I can see where they are coming from. This morning, I read an article on Nintendo Life that had a headline about Mother 3 not being translated to English due to potential controversy. I read the article to find out more and found out that Mother 3 wasn't translated to English due to potential controversy. And nothing else. And yeah, that is a news story of zero consequence but its example is all too common. While there are still some great journalists, they are lost in an internet sea of headlines with nothing behind them. Misinformation and even satire is spread with as much weight as real news. Randos with a dumbass opinion on YouTube are being taken as news sources.

It's not that journalism should be saved to keep things the way they were. It's that something needs to change to restore the balance in what has happened to journalism in the last decade or so. I don't know what that thing is but I can see where they are coming from here.
                      Yeah, I agree. Quality journalism is just lost to the online morass now. It’s part and parcel of the fact that as the internet has democratised publishing and distribution of content (a good thing), it’s meant that a limited number of eyeballs have a much wider range of choice than they once did.

That’s not bad per se, but it makes it harder for the good stuff to break through, and easier for bad actors to capitalise on weaknesses in the system (gaming social media and search to increase views and using deliberately misleading click bait images and headlines to drive views through advertising networks - ‘One weird trick to cut belly fat’ and so on).

It’s a massively challenging issue. I’m not saying we should start pouring tax money into the Bognor Enquirer but, like yourself, I see where they’re coming from. When the vast majority of professional publications are getting replaced by YouTube channels with little to no accountability, it’s a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                        [MENTION=6476]JazzFunk[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure we have all raged a controller into the void. I've slam dunked a DS3 in to the ground before, it shattered like glass. It was followed by the regret and knowledge that id have to fork out for a new one.
                        You know what the worst thing was? How easy the plastic started to twist at the middle. I actually backtracked my rage so I didn't fully break it. I was actually surprised how weak it felt under duress. I think I paid like £30 or summat for this and it almost cracks as easy as a NES clone controller from a Yakumo vid.

And my May 2009 360 controller STILL going strong. Serious. I enjoy the silky analogs of the DS3 but the construction is PATHETIC.

I don't care what any fakka says about Microsoft controllers, they're built for adults and last.

Comment

You know what the worst thing was? How easy the plastic started to twist at the middle. I actually backtracked my rage so I didn't fully break it. I was actually surprised how weak it felt under duress. I think I paid like £30 or summat for this and it almost cracks as easy as a NES clone controller from a Yakumo vid.

And my May 2009 360 controller STILL going strong. Serious. I enjoy the silky analogs of the DS3 but the construction is PATHETIC.

I don't care what any fakka says about Microsoft controllers, they're built for adults and last.
                          Yep, for real. I know for a fact I've raged with a 360 controller and I think I came away worse. The things are made of industrial materials. Even the box they come in are like a single vac-formed unit I broke a pair of scissors opening.

Comment

Not to rag on Nintendo Life (sorry Damien!) but I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw they gave SNK Heroines a 7/10! I understand keeping a good relationship with publishers for smaller operations but when it puts the validity of reviews into question? Not so sure...

Or maybe I’m missing something with that game, I don’t think so though. lol

Comment

Mine from 2011 has been my main PC controller besides of course being used for my 360. I really want to upgrade to a One pad mainly due to the input latency caused by the receiver box but I just can't bring myself to part with it for some reason. It's been worn down to the absolute bone - the analogues have exposed their hard plastic underneath the rubber and the plastic casing that was once matte is now all glossy like some demo pod controller. I'm kind of perversely interested to see just how much more it can take. Easily my most used controller of all time.

Not my favourite, though. That award goes to either the SNES or the GameCube. I love the form of the Switch Pro but the dust that gathers from the analogues sliding against the housing is very nasty indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                                Not to rag on Nintendo Life (sorry Damien!) but I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw they gave SNK Heroines a 7/10! I understand keeping a good relationship with publishers for smaller operations but when it puts the validity of reviews into question? Not so sure...

Or maybe I’m missing something with that game, I don’t think so though. lol
                                No, it's a **** game.

Comment

Working...
                                X