Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My second home. Practically logged in 24/7.

Also [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION].

Comment

Yeah, you're a good guy for sure [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] ... that was a genuinely thoughtful message.

I've been reading a lot of posts lately and feeling for those involved but I'm always so rubbish at knowing what to say.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        I'll be 44 and *still* raving about Contra 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Seems like there's been a lot of darkness on the forum recently, a lot of members under black clouds. It's becoming more difficult to read as we go on and our little niche on the web becomes ever smaller. I think way more than many corners of the web, we can genuinely call ourselves a community. It saddens me to read a lot of stuff that happened recently, but I'd like to say as someone that's went through an absolute rollercoaster of life over the last few decades, whether we're obvious friends on here or not, you can always drop me a message for a chat.
          Fact right there. You can pry boardersdown from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

My wife has agreed to buy me a Core Grafx for Christmas (Yes, Hell has indeed frozen over) however it's totally impossible to find a unit that doesn't look like it's been dragged through WW2. There is a pristine like-new specimen on Ebay but of course it's going for about sixteen million hundred million thousand quid.

Also, what's with all these French and Spanish sellers thinking they can sell theirs for 50-75% higher than everyone else, despite looking twice as shagged?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Fact right there. You can pry boardersdown from my cold dead fingers.
              I triend, that Polonium I put in your coffee that time didn't do the trick.
              You must have an iron constitution

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Jordan’s country crisp. So delicious, but so harmful to my internals!
                God tier cereal. I can easily do a box in two servings which is why I don't buy it any more. That and it's bloody expensive!

Comment

Joined Secret Santa.

Forgot and traded in half my PS4 games. D'oh.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] is this true or does Leon need a tinfoil hat!
                    I did post earlier from my phone on the day but looks like it never sent...here we go...

Put simply fluoride can be bad for you if you ingest tons of it, like with most things such as salt. Getting additional fluoride into your teeth by using toothpaste or mouthwash helps prevent tooth decay as fluoride strengthens your teeth put simply. Kids toothpaste has a lower count of fluoride in as little kids have a habit of swallowing toothpaste which not only may make them feel a bit sick eating a tube of adults stuff, but too much fluoride can cause fluorosis which permanently stains your teeth with white/ brown blotches which are strong but not cosmetically better.
                    Fluorosis is more common in areas that have a higher count of natural/ added fluoride in the water supply (added to reduce tooth decay in affluent areas where oral hygiene/ diet are generally worse than other parts of the country.)

Tooth decay is caused by sugars eaten by bacteria which produce acid and is 100% preventable. Sugar occurs naturally in everything pretty much, its not the amount you eat that affects your teeth but the frequency, not that I would recommend eating a ton of sugar! As soon as it is in your mouth, it takes 1 hour for your saliva to return the Ph levels back to normal and control these acid attacks. If you eat 3 meals a day, fine, even with 1-2 snacks is not too bad. But if you eat at a bunch of grapes/ sip sugary drinks over a space of an hour, every sip/ bite delays that recovery point to 1 hour so you are continuously having acid in your mouth. We see so many cases due to people picking on grapes, juice, sugary coffee/ fizz. Even milk left in bottles for toddlers to sip on through the night can slowly cause decay.

Without fluoride in toothpaste/ mouthwash, you are open to the elements of your daily sugar attacks. With that additional fluoride, it basically bulks up your defenses against it for 24 hours until the next application. This is why dentists are recommended to put fluoride varnish on kid's adult teeth when they poke through to keep them going for as long as possible. Sooooooo many parents when hearing their kid has a hole in their tooth they are like 'oh its ok its just a baby tooth'. Nope, its becoming more and more common that kids with their N0.6 tooth (first permanent molar) to have decay on it with kids diets being worse for sugar intake nowadays. I have seen so many that have already damaged that tooth that is meant to be with them for the rest of their lives only to permanently damage it aged 6.

In the end, people can do what they want, at the dentist we advise and fix you how we can, we push prevention onto everyone that gives us only the necessary to work with. Some people feel fluoride makes them feel sick. If it does, ok don't use it but be aware fluoride occurs naturally in all vegetation, obviously not as high a dose as regular toothpaste. We have a patient who swears its bad for you and his GP daughter is against it, ok, keep doing what you do but just be extra careful of your diet. Then again we get people who say dentists are always after money yet they don't brush their teeth and guzzle energy drinks in the dental chair before complaining how a dentist told them they have gum disease (how dare they.) Don't shoot the messenger, we honestly don't want to deal with your smelly rotten teeth, please keep them clean and your gums healthy so we don't have to pull anything out and just fix any niggles you have on your way in life.

It's like going out in the sun without sun cream, sure you don't biologically need it, you can just stay in the shade, put on layers or just go out for a bit and you might not get burned. But then you are still at risk and can still burn in the shade or catch skin cancers in some extreme cases not being out for too long. Same goes with some vaccinations, we don't know the long term affects of some of these new ones but they wouldn't dole them out if they didn't help. I'm vaccinated and use fluoride toothpaste and recommend others to do so too.

I use sensitive toothpaste with fluoride in it, I personally dislike mouthwash but the bloke loves it but one he liked the most was surprisingly fluoride free so we have changed to one that is pretty much the same with a small fluoride dose in.

I hope that answers some peoples questions. In the end I'm just a nurse not a dentist but I was taught all this and see evidence of causes of decay every day in work. Unless you are allergic to the stuff I would always recommend brushing 2x a day with fluoride toothpaste for 2 minutes. Dentist can prescribe high fluoride toothpastes but that's for special cases.
                    Last edited by Blobcat; 20-10-2018, 23:03.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      I triend, that Polonium I put in your coffee that time didn't do the trick.
                      You must have an iron constitution
                      Amateur. Only disintegration will do on a molecular level.

Comment

@dataDave I had a similar problem when I was looking for a Core... all the real nice ones left Japan years ago I suppose. I found the best solution was to find a reasonably priced SuperGrafx as they generally seem to be in better condition. But obviously it’s still a lot more expensive, and the design isn’t to everyone’s liking, although it is the same colour scheme as the Core.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                          @dataDave I had a similar problem when I was looking for a Core... all the real nice ones left Japan years ago I suppose. I found the best solution was to find a reasonably priced SuperGrafx as they generally seem to be in better condition. But obviously it’s still a lot more expensive, and the design isn’t to everyone’s liking, although it is the same colour scheme as the Core.
                          There's a really well kept PCE on there right now for cheap, but if I jump on it I just know a Core Grafx will pop up later.

As for the RGB I'm thinking about one of them boards that pop into the external port, however if I go for the Core I can get the RGB modded into it easily enough which looks better.

Comment

There's a guy called DoujinDance or something who does pre-modded ones sans pad and cables. I'll just wait for him to get one that doesn't look like it's been shagged by Godzilla's dad.

Comment

That dude keeps on top of technology advances so you shouldn't be disappointed with a product from him.

Comment

Only game we play on the Switch is Mario Kart. Might as well have left the Wii-U set up and saved £300. Irked with myself, not the console.

Comment

Working...
                                X