Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camcorders... (are they still called that?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camcorders... (are they still called that?)

Ok, so I’m looking for a decent video camera for recording YouTube videos.... but the last time I went near one just the battery was bigger than the current DV jobbies I’ve seen

So I’d like something that’s 4K and relativity point and shoot, although it’d be nice if it had a decent amount of options as and when I get more comfortable with it. I’d also like it to have a decent fast focusing macro mode for doing close-ups of Space Marines or Pokémon cards. Do any any offer an option of using an iPad as a monitor screen over WiFi?

As for green screens, do they have to be a certain shade of green and this is all handled in the editing software, not on the actual camera, yes?

So can anyone recommend anything decent please? [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] what camera are you using?
    Last edited by _SD_; 03-09-2018, 16:08.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
    As for green screens, do they have to be a certain shade of green and this is all handled in the editing software, not on the actual camera, yes?
    Nope, they don't even have to be green. People only generally get green because something to do with how digital video works; green results in less interference which means it's easier to key out. You also want to get a shade which doesn't clash with what you're doing, and you'll have to try not to wear clothing of that colour. Also stay away from tight patterns like houndstooth as they result in chromatic aberration which will bleed into your key colour.

I can't say much about the current state of cameras as I'm just not knowledgeable about that - but make sure you get suitable audio recording kit and learn how to use audacity to clean up your audio. People will generally watch bad video, but no-one will listen to bad audio.

Comment

Lots of videographers use Still cameras like from Sony or Panasonic.

Otherwise I'd just say get a new decent phone and a GoPro Osmo.
      I'd say a stabilising gimbal will give you immediately good results for nice smooth video.
      You can give yourself a little more versatility with some clip on lenses from olloclip of the ZEISS exolenses

Comment

When I needed a decent, well priced camera for shooting video, I bought a Panasonic G7 on the advice of [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION] here. It's a very good piece of kit for shooting 4K.

Camcorders don't really exist any more. Nowadays people use what are essentially digital stills cameras, either DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.

Comment

Mirrorless is probably best. My really old Panasonic gh2 was way better at video than my Nikon d7200, which is borderline non functional for video.

Comment

Ok, so I’m looking for a decent video camera for recording YouTube videos.... but the last time I went near one just the battery was bigger than the current DV jobbies I’ve seen

So I’d like something that’s 4K and relativity point and shoot, although it’d be nice if it had a decent amount of options as and when I get more comfortable with it. I’d also like it to have a decent fast focusing macro mode for doing close-ups of Space Marines or Pokémon cards. Do any any offer an option of using an iPad as a monitor screen over WiFi?
            You're going to need to provide a budget for any sensible suggestions.

Dedicated 4K (and 8K) camcorders still exist (like the Panasonic HC-VX980), but as mentioned, many stills cameras provide decent video such as the Panasonic Lumix G7. The camcorders don't tend to have the 30 minute recording limits the stills cameras usually have (there are exceptions).

Budget will determine what's viable and what isn't.

The GH2 Brad mentions above can be picked up for under £250 with a lens, but these are 1080P. They're getting on a bit now, but still do great video (especially with the hacked firmware).

Bear in mind that 4K video takes more processing power to edit and longer to render out and upload to YouTube and eats up way more HDD space. So ask yourself if 4K is essential and that you have a PC that's up to the job - the nice thing with 4K is that it allows you to do pans and crops with the 4K footage without having to actually pan or zoom with the camera whilst you're recording if your target output render is 1080P.
            Last edited by MartyG; 03-09-2018, 19:56.

Comment

Well I want something decent without going too over the top Pro... I don’t know, say £500 - 600.

I don’t mind something smaller for shots from above, as that’ll never be bigger than a quarter of the screen anyway. I got an SJ Cam to strap to the RC Cars and that seems pretty good quality, so that would do for 1080p B-roll footage.

Also lighting, the ones with the umbrella shaped diffusers... needed, or are there better suggestions for lighting up a full shot of a person and/or close up shots of said poke the man cards?

Comment

The HC-VX980 and Sony FDR-AX53 (and Panasonic G7) would all be within your budget and do what you need them to do in that case.

Lighting is a whole other topic you could spend days on. A basic lighting rig would be two lamps and mounts - the aim is to get consistent illumination and remove as much shadow as possible. Diffusers make the light softer and less harsh (moving the lights further away make them softer too). You can make your own diffusers with a bit of tracing paper if need be, so they're not essential, certainly not for YouTube vid. You can get away with a couple of desk lamp initially. Lighting can get expensive too - but there are some cheap LED solutions from Neewer than have a tripod thread mount - again, a bit of tracing paper on the front of those would defuse the light. I'd consider decent audio as a priority over lighting as poor audio kills a YouTube vid - using a ceiling light doesn't.
                Last edited by MartyG; 03-09-2018, 20:26.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking a decent lapel-mounted microphone would be a good idea, rather than a huge fluffy sausage like they have on t’ telly box.

Comment

So can anyone recommend anything decent please? [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] what camera are you using?
                    I can tell you now that you do not want to be using a phone or Go Pro to make good YouTube videos. Most people with a clue use DLSR cameras. Mirrorless is best too. I use a Panasonic LUMIX G7. Does 1080p at 60fps and also 4K at 24fps and 30fps. Sadly I Europe due to the stupid tax law all DLSR cameras have a 30 minute recording limit on them. This means every 30 minutes the camera will stop recording. Saying that, most cameras have hacked firmware to remove this issue.
                    Currently the retail price of a G7 in the UK is 550 pounds with basic zoom lense. So not cheap. I also noticed that the UK model has no 4K badge on the case. It does recored 4K though.

Comment

Working...
                    X