Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    I’ll throw Ni No Kuni 2 in there as a lovely little Level 5 JPRG too. Very classical in style and rather relaxing to play.
    I loved the look of the first, but oh my, I did not enjoy the combat.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      I loved the look of the first, but oh my, I did not enjoy the combat.
      I’m sure this is supposed to be different in this one. It’s all active with you switching between characters and weapons on the fly (if you want), racking up combos, activating specials and utilising your higgledy companions. It all takes place in an impromptu circular arena you can free roam around, going up close for melee attacks.

Comment

Oh cool. I just watched a video and it's a real time battle system. I can go for that. Thanks, it going on my list.

Comment

Real-time. That was the bloody phrase I was searching for.

It’s a lovely game and only about 20 notes.

Comment

As we are talking RPGs, I got Y's VIII recently for 15 quid. I'm really enjoying it. It too is (as it's always been) an action RPG. I recommend it.

Comment

Cheers - I’ll look into it!

Comment

Time to cast Kazing on this thread!

I've been playing this recently and just got to the start of the post game, and I had a few questions about it:

Pretty much after booting back up after the credits I know Erik prompts you to go to the time tower, I went there and got to the point where you need to smash the time orb. I panicked as it seemed pretty irreversible, should I be turning around and combing the overworld for things I'm going to otherwise miss forever? I heard there were a few cut scenes I should see before I 'go' but is there equipment, recipes tockle quests I can miss by going through this one way door?

I don't mind advancing, but I'm still sore from missing Vincent's Level 4 limit break in Final Fantasy VII so I'm loathe to advance if It means leaving things behind...

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos View Post
                  Time to cast Kazing on this thread!

I've been playing this recently and just got to the start of the post game, and I had a few questions about it:

Pretty much after booting back up after the credits I know Erik prompts you to go to the time tower, I went there and got to the point where you need to smash the time orb. I panicked as it seemed pretty irreversible, should I be turning around and combing the overworld for things I'm going to otherwise miss forever? I heard there were a few cut scenes I should see before I 'go' but is there equipment, recipes tockle quests I can miss by going through this one way door?

I don't mind advancing, but I'm still sore from missing Vincent's Level 4 limit break in Final Fantasy VII so I'm loathe to advance if It means leaving things behind...
                  from what i remember there is no punishment for going through the temple of times story you can get and see everything, DQ11 does not punish you with garbage mechanics like missables you can get and see everything if you search the world hard enough even when it changes. Even cutscenes you can viewed again if you touch the tree to the right of Maxamillions office in L'Académie de Notre Maître des Médailles. As you progress through that final arc of the game you will eventually be given back what you gave up.

The final ending is sooooo worth the journey to get to.

Comment

Played 10 hours of this on Switch and it's lovely. The world, characterization, monsters, music (especially after downloading the DQVIII field music), a heap of joy and silliness. The story is well told with an interesting dark undercurrent, and I'm really enjoying it. Not much of a challenge at all so far, but I'm OK with that.
                    Last edited by Golgo; 25-08-2020, 10:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                      Played 10 hours of this on Switch and it's lovely. The world, characterization, monsters, music (especially after downloading the DQVIII field music), a heap of joy and silliness. The story is well told with an interesting dark undercurrent, and I'm really enjoying it. Not much of a challenge at all so far, but I'm OK with that.
                      My girlfriend's playing the Switch version atm and I had a little run around yesterday. Bloody hell its gorgeous on that system, I cant believe they got it looking and running this well!

Comment

Need to give it a short break now and resume later as I'm at 55 hours - just over a key story development - and that can be my boredom/sacking-off threshold if I'm not careful. Some things they really need to change for future iterations, in my opinion: mute protagonist and ludicrous social interactions thereof (yet he can actually speak in flashbacks to earlier life); the expectation of ransacking homes and even orphanages for loot/info in front of their inhabitants (Guard: "This is the Queen's private chambers, show respect!" Hero: proceeds to loot in full view and steals Queen's underwear); proper, meaningful interaction in story moments (just try saying 'no' when given a choice). I appreciate these are all DQ traditions but they feel a bit second rate nowadays. Have kitted out my team inappropriately for battle: sexy bunny girl and belly dancer costumes. Veronica and Sylvando are fantastic characters - love 'em.

Comment

Sylvando’s voice actor is god tier every scene he’s in is a joy to watch. Even in the darkest parts his character always shows kindness & compassion plus comedy to lighten the mood when needed.

Comment

Just got to the

sky shrine bit with the baby teletubby

and damn near died on the spot of a lethal overdose of saccharine. So saccharine it would give Media Molecule games a run for their money! Anyway, game has picked up nicely now after several hours of lull so I'm hoping it's going to ramp up for a great finale.

Comment

wonderful game

Comment

Game tipped over the 90 hour mark for me last night, the last 10 hours or so having been a series of events that saw me sent from one end of the map to the next to touch things that trigger cutscenes. It had been building to a neat crescendo on a good story arc but this has been kicked down the road now with a degree of padding - delivered at a plodding pace by new characters speaking in a quite unbelievably slow manner - that has left me not only bored but resentful of the time I have recently wasted. The frequency of loading screens has become particularly irksome over this period. Presumably the ambition was to subvert expectations, but for me it wasn't worth it and has weakened the story without doubt. Along the way, and as further padding, I've had to rebuild and re-equip my party two times over, and have now been invited to participate in a bespoke grind-zone to level up an extra 20 levels or so for the next challenge. The 'final' challenge, I'm told, but is it? I'm not hanging around to find out and will have to leave the fate of Erdrea hanging in the balance, I fear. Love the characters and voice acting, love the monsters and their animations, also love the charming cities despite - no, because of - their crude national stereotypes (even though they are functionally identical, i.e. re-skins of the same 4 or 5 shops plus a handful of houses to steal from while their inhabitants look on). The general silliness is also great, from the frequent puff-puffs to the endearing dialogues you can have with monsters in their down-time. I've had a lot of enjoyment from the game and will definitely be up for DQ XII but hope there's more meaningful interaction with the environments and a more disciplined and well-paced narrative.

Comment

Working...
                                X