No announcement yet.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JRPGs are one of my favourite genres, but just started with this and I’m really struggling. Am up to the point where you learn the forge - about 6 hours in - and so far it hasn’t clicked at all. Now I know these games typically build slowly, but this pace is beyond what I normally expect. It seems overly simple and devoid of interesting battle / gameplay mechanics. Does it improve and get more involved? Or is it a very simple, basic game pulled along by the story? I’m playing the definitive version on the Series X.

Comment

Its not very challenging outside one or two boss battles. Its really more about the story and characters.

Six hours is a decent chunk of time, I dont think your opinion would change much if you carried on playing tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
        JRPGs are one of my favourite genres, but just started with this and I’m really struggling. Am up to the point where you learn the forge - about 6 hours in - and so far it hasn’t clicked at all. Now I know these games typically build slowly, but this pace is beyond what I normally expect. It seems overly simple and devoid of interesting battle / gameplay mechanics. Does it improve and get more involved? Or is it a very simple, basic game pulled along by the story? I’m playing the definitive version on the Series X.
        The fun of it comes when you've got a full complement of the main characters (the main protagonist being drab). They're really charming and charismatic and drive the experience along, both inside and outside combat. Can't remember exactly when that occurs in the game but it certainly isn't early on.

Comment

Finished off the main story last night. Is the post-game just mopping up side quests, or are there any new story or character arcs? I’m playing the definitive edition, in case that makes any difference...

Comment

Originally posted by dazza_cole View Post
            Finished off the main story last night. Is the post-game just mopping up side quests, or are there any new story or character arcs? I’m playing the definitive edition, in case that makes any difference...
            When you say you have done all story does that also mean you went to the temple of lost time and made things right? As in a certain person is saved from having to sacrifice themselves and you whipped calasmos’s ass?

If the answer is yes then you are mostly done unless you want to go mop up side quests.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              When you say you have done all story does that also mean you went to the temple of lost time and made things right? As in a certain person is saved from having to sacrifice themselves and you whipped calasmos’s ass?

If the answer is yes then you are mostly done unless you want to go mop up side quests.
              Thanks, yes completed the temple so was just checking there wasn’t anything else as significant as that. Onto the next!

Comment

That was my fave part of the game the fact that when you get to the end the first time you can theoretically call it a day but then you have to live with the loss of one of the characters. Or you can go all in and change what went wrong while also helping one other too, you basically get another games worth of content hehe. By the true ending was was totally in love with it, i really hope that when 12 comes along it is just as great as this one was, before this i had only played sentinels of the starry sky but now i have them all on DS. 11 managed to totally make me a fan.

In the opposite way final fantasy 13 made me end up hating the entire series with a passion, that game poisioned me for life on the series with how utter gash it was.

Comment

Working...
                X