PS2 Classics on PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 Classics on PS4

Not technically retro gaming I suppose but thought this was neat.

I recently picked up a PS4 on 5.05 with no intention of using a jailbreak however I thought I'd turn some PS2 ISOs I'd ripped from my discs into PS4 pkgs. This could be old news but the PS4 increases the internal resolution, making it look like they're running on 5x resolution on PCSX2 emulator! Basically it look (mostly) like they've been remastered. Makes you wonder why Sony haven't actually done this yet properly, as far as I'm aware you can't purchase any PS2 stuff on PS4. I only really wanted it for the Katamari games, but found it amazing that it looks as good as the PCSX2 emulator with all the graphics tweaks and enhancements.
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

There's a selection of PS2 titles available to purchase on PS4 with uprezzed graphics and Trophy support.

Fantavision, Mark of Kri & Max Payne are some of the quite a varied selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
      Makes you wonder why Sony haven't actually done this yet properly, as far as I'm aware you can't purchase any PS2 stuff on PS4. .
      There are around 50 PS2 games you can buy on the PSN store for the PS4. Do you have any control over the way the image looks, or is it just a standard template used for all PS2 games? I don't like image filters to make old games look more modern - even with 3D stuff. The 5x upscaling should look nice for clarity though.

Comment

Oh I had no idea, having just got this and obviously no PSN access. Just used it for Katamari, Dynamite Deka PS2 and Thunder Force VI. You can make some edits I haven't messed with it. It's not filters it's increasing the internal resolution, like you can do with Dolphin, PCSX2 etc. emulators.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          It's not filters it's increasing the internal resolution, like you can do with Dolphin, PCSX2 etc. emulators.
          Oh, you mentioned "tweaks" and "enhancements", so I thought it was applying image filters to make things look easier on the eye. I'm not really into PS2 gaming, so I won't bother trying to get the few games I like running on the PS4. I'll just plug a PS2 into my upscaler, which looked really nice the last time I tested it.

Comment

Didn't realize this was a thing, what's the compatibility like?

Comment

I’d actually pay £20 - 30 if Sony would release a decent PS2 emulator that played real discs. It’d probably be region locked and you’d have to faff around getting it from the Japanese store but it would be awesome.

Failing that I’ll wait until the final ultimate jailbreak is released in a few years, once the PS5 is doing the rounds...

Comment

Me too, that'd be perfect, can't ever see it happening though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                  Just don't go buying the Metal Slug collection. Input lag is so high it's almost unplayable.
                  It really feels like I wasted money on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                    On 5.05 plays most things. I've converted a few Sega Ages titles and the Katamari games. I think God of War has issues. Thunder force VI works perfectly, Gradius V caused me an issue I think that's the only one so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X