No announcement yet.

Marvel Spider-Man PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kind of leaning to the opposite, bar some production values at some points in the game this could easily pass as a standard third party effort as it's nowhere near Sony's other AAA fare. Finishing up with the game last night did see it start to become a chore, the later mission designs really start to slip into PS2 era territory. With the game Insomniac has done sterling work in updating the old Spider-Man 2 game design but it never feels like any ambition went beyond that. Combat I found to be perfectly serviceable but never as satisfying as the Arkham combat it copies, even getting quite boring later on.

As with the PS2 entry, swinging through New York is a highlight, a feat a sequel will struggle to keep fresh without coming up with something other than collectibles as a distraction. Visually it can look really nice, it particularly stands out in areas where lighting is used to full effect such as night time moonlit docklands or high speed pursuits but at other times is quite ugly to look at too.

It's an easy 7/10 game for me, sometimes risking lower mostly due to some poor mission design, but never once at risk of higher. It's not the best game of the year, or this gen... may yet not be the best game of this week either but it is fun and a very solid foundation to build a sequel on as long as Insomniac has the ideas and ambition for it rather than knock out a similar entry.

Comment

DLC started coming out this week, with the first of 3 stories in the "City That Never Sleeps".
      Finished the main story, selling it on to a friend, then the long, long wait for the Deluxe digital version to be sub-$20.

Comment

92% done.

Just the main story missions to finish and that feels like it's building to something so must be close.

I've 100% all the districts on the map too. Can't stop playing.

Comment

And done with Platinum Trophy.

Can't wait for the first DLC drop in Tuesday.

Comment

I'm playing through it currently and although I appreciate that some of the mission types are just collectibles I do enjoy falling in on a car chase, webbing the crooks to the walls, stopping the car and continuing the fight in the streets. There has been a bit of a gap between the last two boss battles and I can't be sure if that's due to me getting sidetracked or the game's pacing. I think its giving me what I need from a Spiderman game though (Mary Jane isn't just a damsel and refinishing l recognising the existence of Miles Morales). Hopefully it ends on a high.

Comment

This is now out on PC. They call it a remastered version but I don’t know if there is really much of a difference. I seem to remember videos of the PS4 version looking pretty great.

I’m playing it on the Steam Deck and it looks pretty amazing on it. Maybe the best looking game I’ve seen on the Deck that also delivers great performance. And it uses things like the gyro so generally it works fantastic on the Steam Deck.

As for the game, I’m really liking it so far. Swinging around the city is fantastic and just feels so perfect. It’s a massive amount of fun just going places. While the city tends to look fantastic, I’m not sure there is all that much to do in it though. I mean beyond the usual beat up the criminal moments that pop up. With those, the combat is good. I was a bit rubbish at it right at the start and dropped the difficulty down from normal. Not sure I’d have had the patience for it. Enjoying it now but, already, there has been so many samey fights and I do wonder when they will outstay their welcome.

But the story driving it seems good and the mission structure works, while allowing you to go around looking for the collectibles when you want to. Seems a bit weird how much of a cop Spider-Man is in it but I guess that’s okay. Overall, really liking it so far.

Comment

In terms of remastering, it'll do full ray tracing at 4k and 144fps if you have a decent enough pc and supports diss and fsr2 etc.

it looked amazing on ps4 already though. I do think that playing it at a higher frame rate would be nice for a game like this.

Comment

I finished the main game yesterday and I really loved it. I did find the side missions became too repetitive but they're side missions and totally optional so that's okay. So towards the end of the game, I just went straight for the story missions each time and that worked.

The game looks and plays beautifully on the Steam Deck, although it hammers the battery life like no other game I've seen.

I did think it could have made much more use of the character enemies it included, which might have increased the sense of variety overall. When a familiar enemy did come into it, I found things livened up considerably. But even without them for big chunks of the game, it kept things fun and it was always great just swinging around the city.

Even with there being so many side missions and collectables, I did find myself feeling that it would have been great to be able to discover more in the city or interact with it a bit more. Lots of it is just scenery. Beautiful scenery but scenery nonetheless. Still, how they built Manhattan is really impressive.

So yep, I liked it.

Comment

Started playing this on PS5 this weekend and I'm hooked. Giving me Infamous vibes. I love doing all side missions and stuff in that and this has them in abundance. Have Miles Morales downloaded ready!

Comment

Working...
                    X