User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I haven’t played Cannon Spike but have played all the others. Space Channel 5 I mostly love BUT I found the input never felt like it matched my timing and eventually I had to form a slight off rhythm to get through it. As you can imagine, that affects my experience with it. Chu Chu was fun but I never stuck with it. Ikaruga seemed great at what it is but I’m not big into those kinds of shooters.

So for me the standouts here are the Power Stone games and they are both fantastic in their own right. One thing I love about them is that they both justify their existence - 2 did not render 1 redundant because it’s quite a different game. 2 is really great fun and it’s kind of crazy but I feel that the first is the better fighter. It has more strategy and skill IMO and I always enjoy going back to it. It feels criminal that this series didn’t continue.

Powerstone 2, easily, which for me is up there with the original Worms as one of the greatest party games of all time. Those who prefer the first, I can kind of see their point as the single player mode is a purer experience, but I can only surmise they haven’t spent a good deal of time playing it with three mates. We used to play all against all or 2 vs 2 teams and it had us in tears when using some of the whackier weapons like the bugle or tennis racquet. The “make-a-weapon” part added a bit of depth and longevity to it as well. Brilliant, brilliant game which built on the excellent original in a great number of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Anpanman View Post
    Couldn't get into Powerstone at all sorry to say.
    Just run around chucking things at your opponent trying to wear down their energy. It's fun once you get used to how it plays and develop tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Space Channel 5 I mostly love BUT I found the input never felt like it matched my timing and eventually I had to form a slight off rhythm to get through it.
    I have only played it a bit, but thought the artistic design was really nice. Other people have said the timing is off a bit, so that really would spoil a rhythm based game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    One thing I love about them is that they both justify their existence - 2 did not render 1 redundant because it’s quite a different game. 2 is really great fun and it’s kind of crazy but I feel that the first is the better fighter. It has more strategy and skill IMO and I always enjoy going back to it. It feels criminal that this series didn’t continue.
    Yeah, Capcom delivered a more manic party sort of game with the sequel. The first game is a more pure 1-on-1 fighter, despite still being quite manic and over the top. I like both, but I know opinion varies wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
    but I can only surmise they haven’t spent a good deal of time playing it with three mates. We used to play all against all or 2 vs 2 teams and it had us in tears when using some of the whackier weapons like the bugle or tennis racquet. The “make-a-weapon” part added a bit of depth and longevity to it as well. Brilliant, brilliant game which built on the excellent original in a great number of ways.
    Yeah, must be really fun with 3 other people. I've played it with one other person - and it's better than solo play. It's definitely a game you get out when you have a group of people who appreciate games that offer over the top mayhem.

Power Stone 2, very easy win there with only Ikaruga proving a real challenge.
    Power Stone 1 is solid but Cannon Spike was nothing more than fan service, shallow as a puddle. I never cared for Chu Chu Rocket much whilst I have a soft spot for Space Channel 5 though the gameplay itself was always pretty ropey.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Cannon Spike was nothing more than fan service, shallow as a puddle.
    It's definitely worth playing though. I like the range of characters to choose from, the graphics are nice throughout, and it has a fun vibe about it.