Retro|Spective 056: The Getaway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 056: The Getaway

Someone has nabbed control of the new thread and is looking to escape via...

Mainline Entry 01 - The Getaway
    Formats: Playstation 2
    Open world games were the new craze and everyone wanted their hit, Sony proving just as keen to replicate the GTA success story as everyone else and that desire culminated in this new franchise that would join their first party exclusives. Aiming to be a more realistic take on the genre, the game was to be a visual showcase for the PS2 set within modern day London from both the perspective of the criminal being pursued and the cop on their tail. The city was a fairly accurate recreation of its real life counterpart whilst vehicles were all licensed to give a sense of grounded reality to the game and this helped it weather comparisons against Vice City which it launched against and helped it to be a success despite the more popular competition it faced.

Mainline Entry 02 - The Getaway: Black Monday
    Formats: Playstation 2
    Following up with a similar structure, the sequel aimed to improve on the original entry by offering more vehicles and refined gameplay mechanics rather than a new city. However, two years on reviewers were more ready to scrutinise the mechanics of the gameplay and while some remained positive, others plucked the design apart at the seams. Despite this the game was again a success and Sony readied itself to take the franchise into the next generation. Other than a brief visual teaser though the third entry never showed its face and was later cancelled. The franchise has since remained confined to be a one generation wonder in Sony's lineage.

Share your thoughts and memories of The Getaway games, you mugs!

I tend to kinda consider The Heist from PSVR's VRWorlds to be a spinoff of this.

Comment

Cor blimey, guv-nor. I haven't played both games in the series. They just looked like a far more limited GTA type of experience, so I didn't bother to give them a go. I guess they weren't overly popular, seeing we didn't see a PS3 version.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 12-09-2018, 19:20.

Comment

I'm likely way off base here but whilst Sony never seemed to be too outspoken on The Getaway 3's fate I think it was proving too costly to make and the competition was too hard to go up against. Cop AI in cars and the on foot controls were my biggest issues with the games but there was a strange allure to them. I have more distinct memories of the original game but the sequel played better and at the time they were real lookers. Like most GTA rivals, very straight forward mission design which makes it feel less like a do anything sandbox

Comment

Loved the first one - very atmospheric - didn’t they rerelease it with the BT van logos removed?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            Loved the first one - very atmospheric - didn’t they rerelease it with the BT van logos removed?
            Yeah, I remember this - wasn't it delayed?

Comment

First game looked amazing, played like absolute rubbish. Shame.

Comment

Had a check and yup, first prints of the original game featured a mission with an attack on a police station using a BT van. BT complained and further prints edited the van to make it generic.

Clue for the next thread:

Clue - "*Krzzk*... reports of massive devastation... *bzzt*... unseen scale... *kzztk*... survivors amongst the rubble... *bzzt-krrzk*...on this breaking ne--*kzzhk*

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

Clue for the next thread:
                  Disaster Report/SOS: The Final Escape

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    Disaster Report/SOS: The Final Escape
                    "...*brrtz*... report...*krrthz*... been confirmed...*szzt*... SOS..."

Comment

The first time I played The Getaway, it was incredible. I was hyped up over the trailers for it with the FMV cutscenes but they never materialised. Still, walking and driving around London was a sight to behold. Sure, Metropolis Street Racer had got there earlier, but this recreation was off the charts. Pavements, phone boxes, even warehouses looked like they should.

It was clunky as heck but that just added to its charm.

I'm gonna check out some videos of it.

SUZE! SUUUUZE!!!!

Comment

Clunky as it is I think I'll revisit Black Monday at some point

Comment

Working...
                        X