Guilty pleasure: mobile games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. From a business perspective, it makes all the sense in the world. From an outsider's perspective, it seems like it's practically the only way to make the space work financially (apart from, perhaps, being in something like Apple Arcade - although the financial rewards for a successful F2P are magnitudes greater than that would ever offer, I'm sure).
    The thing is, I would feel differently if it was like EA with FIFA - taking a franchise that made bank, and packing it with IAPs to make even more money. That's a company who is making ****loads of cash, deciding that's not good enough, they want all the cash.

But with the mobile space, it was either not make enough money to run a studio vs. make more money than sense, and not much in-between. I think if studios had been choosing between "decent revenue without the tricks" vs. "crazy revenue with the tricks" plenty would've picked the former. It's just that option didn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      The thing is, I would feel differently if it was like EA with FIFA - taking a franchise that made bank, and packing it with IAPs to make even more money. That's a company who is making ****loads of cash, deciding that's not good enough, they want all the cash.

But with the mobile space, it was either not make enough money to run a studio vs. make more money than sense, and not much in-between. I think if studios had been choosing between "decent revenue without the tricks" vs. "crazy revenue with the tricks" plenty would've picked the former. It's just that option didn't exist.
      A big part of the problem, I think, was/is the mobile customer. You've only got to read the reviews in the Apple or Android app stores. When someone pays, for example, £1.79 up front for a game they will often mention it in the review. It seems to be a really big and almost heroic outlay in their reckoning - they've really stumped up the cash there! Against that kind of mindset it must have looked practically impossible to devs to make an income on anything other than the F2P model, apart form those few success stories like The Room series. I remember Jeff Minter's meltdown over this when he entered the mobile space with a series of absolutely superb games retailing for 69 pence apiece.

Comment

I've been playing Another Eden for 2 years ; was pretty much F2P for about a year then I figured it would be nice to drop some $$ for the devs ; since then I've spent $120 Aussie which considering I play it pretty much every day is bloody good value for money.

I must admit the power creep is becoming real but they have given some pretty awesome free characters lately. it is extremely F2P friendly you can beat pretty much all content with free characters.

I love it. it's quirky, funny and strategic. You can play it a million different ways. plus waifu!

Comment

Working...
        X