Interesting Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Facts

A pretty vague title, I know. But sometimes you hear things and you think 'oh' or 'huh'. Know what I mean? I'll give some examples:

The reason a gun is used (as opposed to a system of lights) to start athletic races is because despite light travelling faster than sound - in other words despite the fact that light would reach the eye quicker than sound reaches the ear - the brain takes longer to process light than it does to process sound. So they use a gun instead.

Light is invisible. You can never see it. Only the things it illuminates. Remember that next time you're watching sci-fi movie space battles.

You never touch anything. Ever. Stroke your cat. Cut your finger off with an axe. Kiss your lover. You haven't touched any of them. What you feel is the electromagnetic field which is too strong for things to touch. Right now you're floating. Not by much, admittedly, but you are floating.

When you jump up, the earth moves towards you. Even very small amounts of mass have gravity and even very large amounts of mass are influenced by that gravity. Seems ridiculous but it is supposedly true if science is to be believed.

Sorry all mine are about physics. They can be facts about anything. I just happen to like physics.

Apparently elephants cannot jump but the are the only animal that can be taught to stand on its head.

You can't sneeze with your eyes open.

Comment

This thread is going to piss me off with unsubstantiated "facts".

You Asked: Can you sneeze with your eyes open? (yes)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Such as dogs can't look up?

Comment

A ducks quack doesn't echo.
          It's 100% FACT and has never been disproven so don't tell me otherwise!!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

You Asked: Can you sneeze with your eyes open? (yes)
            I remember it from a book I had as a kid called Crazy but True.

Comment

When in the wild, a fammydodd can survive on shoots and leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Big Al told me that.

Comment

OK 3 genuine space facts.
                  1: there is a super massive black hole 27000 light years away in the center of the milky way.
                  2: Andromeda galaxy is on a collision course with the milky way.
                  3: there is a huge expanse of space called The Great Attractor which is dragging our local cluster of galaxy's towards it and no one knows why.

Comment

Now here's a thing;

I don't give a ****.

That's my fact of the day.

Comment

That Indiana Jones could survive the nuclear explosion by hiding in the led lined fridge in Crystal Skull

Comment

Also, that video killed the radio star

Though it remains unconfirmed as to whether there was any Russian collusion involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                          A ducks quack doesn't echo.
                          That's supposedly a myth and has been proven untrue by UK scientists who went to the trouble of placing a duck in a reverberation chamber. Sorry.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          That Indiana Jones could survive the nuclear explosion by hiding in the led lined fridge in Crystal Skull
                          That's a scene from a movie!

We're after scientific or natural facts. Things like this: the arctic wooly bear caterpillar can take up to 7 years to build up enough resources to pupate into a moth, during that time it will freeze in winter only to thaw out and spring back to life like a real life Lazarus.

Amazing.

Comment

The desire to conform in such a strong driving force that some people would rather accept falsity than risk standing out or social rejection. Experiments have shown people will knowingly choose incorrect answers just to fit in with a group. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYIh4MkcfJA

Some people are so obedient that it overrides their own moral compass. Experiments prove people are willing to administer (what they believe are) lethal electric shocks to complete strangers when instructed by those in authority.
                            Why should you question authority? The answer lies within this ground breaking social psychology experiment by Stanley Milgram regarding human behavior and a...
                            Last edited by Zen Monkey; 14-09-2018, 12:10.

Comment

Polar bear hair is see through

Comment

Working...
                              X