The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Had the Pug MOTd yesterday. It passed...however...

Engine coolant leak and binding on rear breaks present. Told not to drive until repaired. How did it pass then?!
    I guess that might be the MOT places way around no Advisories now they say you pass but MUST fix etc until driving. I did wonder how this would work as people get advisory for all sorts and it is hardly dangerous. Good in some ways no more Advisories though as you used to get a car and not know if the Advisories were fixed or not.

Comment

Really I think electric cars won't take off in the way they want until they're made municipal; i.e. a city owns the fleet of cars and you call/use them in a manner reminiscent of Uber.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Really I think electric cars won't take off in the way they want until they're made municipal; i.e. a city owns the fleet of cars and you call/use them in a manner reminiscent of Uber.
        Materials to build rechargeable batteries will expire long before then.

Comment

Scraping sound has started sometimes when I'm breaking, coming from the rear... I think the rear break pads are giving in. There's another £250

Comment

Damn, what are you driving?
            It costs me a whole £15 to buy my GTC rear pads (both sides) and 20 mins to fit them myself.

Comment

Rear driver side brakes needed new cylinder.

That, sorting the coolant leak, re-gassing the AC and the price of the MOT sees me £491.94 lighter in the pocket.

Comment

That's ok, you'll get a second car you didn't order in the post for free.

Comment

Thinking logically I've had my Pug for 4 years and with the exception of a couple of tyres I haven't had to pay for any other work so that's not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post
                    Damn, what are you driving?
                    It costs me a whole £15 to buy my GTC rear pads (both sides) and 20 mins to fit them myself.
                    Won't be the pads then, I'll check the last MOT notice... discs maybe?

Comment

Checked the service history and thank god it says amber warning 70% worn for the rear break pads
                      Hopefully the cost won't be that severe and the scraping sound when breaking is actually them

Comment

My Dad had a bad incident last night. Both parents are driving locally as he's dropping my Mum off at a friends, there's an uneven part of the road they're on and as they come off it they can hear rattling. He pulls onto the main road and drives towards the next junction lights and as the traffic lights change to red he goes to brake and.... nothing. The car keeps on at full pelt, not accelerating but the brakes have completely gone on the car.

He manages to drop its gears and as he sails through the red pulls the car towards the side of the road using the handbrake to bring the car to a halt, thankfully not driving at high speed in the first place. My Mum gets picked up by her friend from there and my Dad immediately, but carefully drives the car slowly to the nearby garage where the car had been in having some work done at the weekend.

Car's fixed now, turns out there was no mechanical failure. The guy working on the car at the weekend hadn't screwed in the bolts on the brakes tight and the rattling and shook them loose. Funny how quick they were to fix that problem...

Helps make me extra conscious that ours is going in for its brake pads on Saturday. Not at the same garage mind

Comment

Christ that's scary. I've had a similar experience in an old Mini coming up to busy roundabout at 60 only to find I've no gears other than 4th.... Really need quick thinking. For me the pin at the base of the gear stick had snapped and fallen out so it was no longer connected.

On that note I've just bought two new cars since getting back to the UK. A 2014 Mini Cooper SD 3dr hatch for my commute and a 2017 Peugeot 5008 as the family tank. Expecting our third kid in April so the tank was necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            My Dad had a bad incident last night. Both parents are driving locally as he's dropping my Mum off at a friends, there's an uneven part of the road they're on and as they come off it they can hear rattling. He pulls onto the main road and drives towards the next junction lights and as the traffic lights change to red he goes to brake and.... nothing. The car keeps on at full pelt, not accelerating but the brakes have completely gone on the car.

He manages to drop its gears and as he sails through the red pulls the car towards the side of the road using the handbrake to bring the car to a halt, thankfully not driving at high speed in the first place. My Mum gets picked up by her friend from there and my Dad immediately, but carefully drives the car slowly to the nearby garage where the car had been in having some work done at the weekend.

Car's fixed now, turns out there was no mechanical failure. The guy working on the car at the weekend hadn't screwed in the bolts on the brakes tight and the rattling and shook them loose. Funny how quick they were to fix that problem...

Helps make me extra conscious that ours is going in for its brake pads on Saturday. Not at the same garage mind
                            Honestly, I’d be looking at a lawsuit for that. He could of been killed or killed someone else because some monkey didn’t even bother checking their work on a quick test drive.

Unacceptable.

Comment

That's what we've said but it doesn't seem likely he's going to pursue the matter. They're lucky too as tomorrow they'll be on the M60 with my 1yr old niece, if they'd given out then...

Comment

My piece of **** Kia C'eed has broken down. Engine just cut out. Restarted and dragged it to work but the rev counter is fixed at zero.

My list of faults are now:
                                Both front suspension coils have snapped and been replaced.
                                Car doors auto lock when moving, but do not unlock unless you whip the key out in a particular way.
                                passenger window doesn't wind down all the way.
                                Headlight bulbs blow at any time, so far replaced twice.
                                Hatchback boot doesn't open all the way.

Never buy a kia.

Comment

Working...
                                X