The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
    Took the plunge and put a deposit down on an EV, have been curious for a while but work have upped our allowance if we go electric so the time was right to go for it. Ordered a BMW i4 M50 as it was probably the least EV looking EV i could find, really didn't want an SUV or crossover, not really taken with Tesla's either tbh. Should be rapid at 540bhp and 795 nM torque. Delivery not for 6 months minimum though so long wait, but hopefully worth it.

Anyone else gone electric, how are you getting on with the charging/range paranoia shenanigans?
    Boss at work took a Tesla as his company car & he seems to be getting on with it

Nothing EV for me for a long time
    I just can't afford the outlay to get something I'd really want & charging is a big issue here as I don't have a drive & have to park in the road outside & would need to have cables across a foot path & green area to reach the car
    Also if for any reason I lose the space directly outside I'd be entirely screwed lol

Still trying to work out what I do next though
    Seriously considering leasing with a full maintenance package but deciding what is proving really difficult & long lead times aren't helping either

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
      Boss at work took a Tesla as his company car & he seems to be getting on with it

Nothing EV for me for a long time
      I just can't afford the outlay to get something I'd really want & charging is a big issue here as I don't have a drive & have to park in the road outside & would need to have cables across a foot path & green area to reach the car
      Also if for any reason I lose the space directly outside I'd be entirely screwed lol

Still trying to work out what I do next though
      Seriously considering leasing with a full maintenance package but deciding what is proving really difficult & long lead times aren't helping either

Neil
      Yeah, that's something that is going to have to be thought about, lots of people don't have drives so charging at home is going to be difficult. On street charge points are going to have to become the norm for EVs to work for everyone.

Comment

Should be rapid at 540bhp and 795 nM torque
        Holy fballs 😮

What Cupra you got Jamie?
        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 10-11-2021, 20:00.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          What Cupra you got Jamie?
          I'm on my second Leon Cupra 290, enjoyed the first one so much i got another when the lease ended

Comment

Very nice. I got a 2015 Cupra 280st last year and love it every day. Might go stage1 next year. Such understated cars and the 2L tsi engine has crazy amounts of torque.

Comment

Yeah, that's something that is going to have to be thought about, lots of people don't have drives so charging at home is going to be difficult. On street charge points are going to have to become the norm for EVs to work for everyone.
              Totally
              I dread to think how people in flats will manage
              Our flat before the house was on the 3rd floor & across 2 landings so nowhere near the car park

As much as going electric is a good idea I really can't see how it's a viable option for many people

Neil

Comment

I'm driving an Audi A4 courtesy car. Diesel turbo of unknown model version.

It's so boring.

It's like driving a jelly. Turn the wheel and there's this huge delay before anything happens.

Just as the power comes in, it's time to change gear.

On the plus side, the fuel gauge didn't move visually in 90 miles

Comment

The 2030 ban on fossil fuel car sales won't come to pass, it's just there to look good and inevitably have someone else be the fall guy in delaying it. They'll never risk the collapse of the car sales industry for a concept and infrastructure plan that is blatantly unviable. It's just another bullet point for Operation Shut Up Greta.

Comment

Hydrogen is the only option for cars short-medium term as the existing infrastructure can be converted quite easily, petrol engines can be converted as well, diesel is a lot harder as the whole fuel injection system needs changing. Its all much more doable than electric being the answer.

Comment

Anyone else gone electric, how are you getting on with the charging/range paranoia shenanigans?
                      I collected my ID.3 a few months ago. I was after a C segment hatch and test drove a pile of them and it was my favourite. Unsurprisingly it was the super smooth torquey rear wheel drive power train and capacious interior that won me over. And the Energy Savings Trust in Scotland doing interest free loans on EVs was a result too.

l had a Hypervolt charger installed at home and that’s where I’ve done most of my charging on Octopus Energy’s Go tariff which lets me charge for 5pm per kWh between 0030 and 0430 at night. A “fill up” is about £4!
                      Longest trip I’ve undertaken so far was to visit the family in Wales. Roughly 270 miles each way. Stopped about halfway down for a bite to eat and the loo. Topped the car up on an Instavolt charger while eating. A bit steep at 40p per kWh though. Charged up at my Dad’s with the granny cable and paid him with Lorne sausage and plain bread!
                      All good so far. Great being back in a rear wheel drive car. Nice even weight distribution and a low center of gravity is like a BMW.
                      Last edited by CMcK; 11-11-2021, 19:20.

Comment

So you wait until 12:30 am to plug it in?

Comment

Nah. I just plug it in when I get home and the charger knows when I get my cheap rate so it’s set to deliver a charge at the appropriate time.

Comment

That is really clever!

Comment

Whatever next?! Robot butlers?!

Comment

THOUSANDS of drivers "don't have the foggiest" what new road signs about the latest city Clean Air Zone charge mean, it is feared.

A lot more green cloud C signs have popped up near us and finally I found out what they are for bearing in mind none of the ones in our area have anything but the symbol on them

Comment

Working...
                                X