No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone based in the UK and had an EV Charger installed at their home?

After a lot of digging and research, I'm seeing lots of positive impressions of Hypervolt, specifically the Hypervolt Home 3.0. I'll be getting the Abarth 500e Turismo which I think can take 85KW and CCS, but for the home, just a Type 2 connection?

Any impressions or providers to avoid, will be much appreciated!

Comment

I have a Hypervolt charger it’s about two years old so I couldn’t tell you which revision it is. It’s worked flawlessly apart from when there was a wee hiccup on the back end but even then you could still charge. Looks ok on my garage wall and the app is easy to use.
      Must say I think the prices of chargers are ridiculous. There’s not much in them at all and with the grants that were floating around, extra here in Scotland, installers were taking liberties too.

Comment

I agree [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] the price of all chargers are silly. I know it's still new tech but when you research what they actually are and new EV's have inbuilt hardware and software to control when the car takes a charge etc, you do wonder what else is this wall box doing that can't be done elsewhere?

What were the installers in Scotland doing, I presume taking grants and installing them poorly?

My hope is if I do get the Abarth soon, to use several chargers in the local area and get used to public charging first. As I work from home, I don't need the car much during the week and Mrs Wools has her own ICE car. If I start to get burnt with public chargers, I'll then have a few extra months of saving to splash out on a home charger.

Overall, you been enjoying EV ownership, sound slick you've had your car and home charger for several years?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
          My hope is if I do get the Abarth soon
          Have you got a test drive sorted yet Wools? I've always been a fan of the Abarth but if I was going electric the Honda E would totally win my heart ... even with its pathetic range. And if I wanted a 40k pocket rocket I'd have to consider the Yaris GR FOUR.
          Last edited by Atticus; 06-09-2023, 09:45.

Comment

I agree @CMcK the price of all chargers are silly. I know it's still new tech but when you research what they actually are and new EV's have inbuilt hardware and software to control when the car takes a charge etc, you do wonder what else is this wall box doing that can't be done elsewhere?

What were the installers in Scotland doing, I presume taking grants and installing them poorly?

My hope is if I do get the Abarth soon, to use several chargers in the local area and get used to public charging first. As I work from home, I don't need the car much during the week and Mrs Wools has her own ICE car. If I start to get burnt with public chargers, I'll then have a few extra months of saving to splash out on a home charger.

Overall, you been enjoying EV ownership, sound slick you've had your car and home charger for several years?
            I think the installers saw the additional grant available in Scotland and basically added it to the installation cost. They even minimized their time spent on site by getting me to survey the job for them with a photos of the cable route, distribution board and location the charger was to be installed.
            Just use your mains charging cable to top up at home until you get a faster charger installed. Public charging is still expensive with the high energy prices and should only be something you do when you really need to.
            Two years in and I’m still enjoying having an EV. When I’m back driving diesels at work it all just seems so slow and cumbersome. The torque characteristics of an electric motor make them great for pulling away quickly and smoothly with instant reactions when you need it. I don’t miss the noise and vibrations from an engine either. The cabin is quiet and lets you enjoy your music or podcasts. Fuel costs are way lower than my old vRS and the convenience of charging at home is a nice bonus too. I’m reasonably tall at 186cm so having a C segment hatch that can still sit five even with my seat well back is very useful too. The low centre of gravity and even weight distribution are great when you’re in the mood for a spirited drive too.

Comment

So you’re telling me they’ve finally discovered electricity in Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Have you got a test drive sorted yet Wools? I've always been a fan of the Abarth but if I was going electric the Honda E would totally win my heart ... even with its pathetic range. And if I wanted a 40k pocket rocket I'd have to consider the Yaris GR FOUR.
                I had my test drive at the weekend and very positive!

Like you, the Honda E was the first EV that got my attention. But as a drivers car that skews to the Hot hatch side, the Abarth is very much more in line with that feel, while the Honda E is the most epic design study of a future car. But when I done the Top Trumps comparison, the Honda E had less range, cost more new, isn't as fun to drive enthusiastically and there's some bits of the design that don't get me fired up.

The Abarth by comparison costs less new, has more range, has a more driver focused interior and just spoke to me more. When I took it for a drive, I loved the alcantara wheel and dashboard, which combined with the display made it feel very purposeful and nice to use. The steering feel was more communicative than I expected and when launched from standstill, although not in the same range as my M2C, the 20 - 60 speed was surprisingly spritely. Lots of reviewers complained about left foot placement but as a UK Size 10, I had no issue.

Also, everyone moaned about the speaker and although I agree it's not exactly in-line with other EV's, you just turn it off. Problem solved! In some ways I wish more EV's had some sound so you can turn it on in a car park / town so pedestrians get the other sense, rather than just moan about a EV that tries to do something different.

And I get your point about if the Abarth 500e Turismo is £38K then I would rather have a petrol X, Y or Z. However, my M2C is in that price range second hand and I just think I'm ready for a change. I WFH all the time now so it feels wasteful having such large finance deals for a car I don't touch, and when I do, it's £70 a top up. Or a service or warranty extension? That's £1K for you Sir! I think this Abarth has been well reviewed, felt great and is just what I've been looking for in the EV field that now's the right time for me.

All in all, I loved it. It's everything I've wanted from a EV but hasn't been done till now; Small, driver focused, has range closer to 200 miles than 100 miles and makes me want it. I put a deposit down and we're in the process of buying now. If you're really interested then please get a test drive [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] I think you'll love it.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                I think the installers saw the additional grant available in Scotland and basically added it to the installation cost. They even minimized their time spent on site by getting me to survey the job for them with a photos of the cable route, distribution board and location the charger was to be installed.
                Just use your mains charging cable to top up at home until you get a faster charger installed. Public charging is still expensive with the high energy prices and should only be something you do when you really need to.
                Two years in and I’m still enjoying having an EV. When I’m back driving diesels at work it all just seems so slow and cumbersome. The torque characteristics of an electric motor make them great for pulling away quickly and smoothly with instant reactions when you need it. I don’t miss the noise and vibrations from an engine either. The cabin is quiet and lets you enjoy your music or podcasts. Fuel costs are way lower than my old vRS and the convenience of charging at home is a nice bonus too. I’m reasonably tall at 186cm so having a C segment hatch that can still sit five even with my seat well back is very useful too. The low centre of gravity and even weight distribution are great when you’re in the mood for a spirited drive too.
                That's **** [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION] sorry to hear that. Sounds like when you got your EV setup, you were still slightly ahead of the curve and the installers took advantage, they sounded bloody lazy!

Great to hear your impressions, thanks. I'm unsure if my car comes with a UK Wall Plug cable but my plan was to WFH as usual and 1 day during the week, go on a drive a few miles to charge and have lunch somewhere. Which enables me and Mrs Wools to use it over the weekend. But my experience today may hinder that!

I had to nip into town at lunch and on the way back, decided to follow the Electroverse App to one of the most promising charge points in my town, just to see if it's standing. I knew it was a school but assumed it would be their parking area that's available to everyone. Turns out, the school has barriers! I asked the lady over the intercom and she said "Yes, we get that a lot. the chargers are just for our students, families and employees." Totally fair, but now I do wonder why bother showing you have a charger available when it's locked behind something? I imagine this will be old news to veteran EV drivers.

Comment

Glad to say I’ve never rocked up to an inaccessible charger but I suppose if it’s on commercial premises I would double check.

I too was a big fan of the Honda e concept car and when I went to the Frankfurt motor show in 2019 the production model was unveiled. It was quite disappointing how much they toned down the exterior. And it’s way too small to be a daily driver. Especially the boot! I do remember reading that the concept car was developed after the production model so they knew it was never going to look like that all along.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    So you’re telling me they’ve finally discovered electricity in Scotland?
                    It’s witchcraft! But I’m intrigued by these so called “video games”

The first electric vehicles were invented by a Scotsman in the 1830s. Shame they weren’t developed to the same extent as combustion engined cars.

Comment

I had my test drive at the weekend and very positive!

Like you, the Honda E was the first EV that got my attention. But as a drivers car that skews to the Hot hatch side, the Abarth is very much more in line with that feel, while the Honda E is the most epic design study of a future car. But when I done the Top Trumps comparison, the Honda E had less range, cost more new, isn't as fun to drive enthusiastically and there's some bits of the design that don't get me fired up.

The Abarth by comparison costs less new, has more range, has a more driver focused interior and just spoke to me more. When I took it for a drive, I loved the alcantara wheel and dashboard, which combined with the display made it feel very purposeful and nice to use. The steering feel was more communicative than I expected and when launched from standstill, although not in the same range as my M2C, the 20 - 60 speed was surprisingly spritely. Lots of reviewers complained about left foot placement but as a UK Size 10, I had no issue.

Also, everyone moaned about the speaker and although I agree it's not exactly in-line with other EV's, you just turn it off. Problem solved! In some ways I wish more EV's had some sound so you can turn it on in a car park / town so pedestrians get the other sense, rather than just moan about a EV that tries to do something different.

And I get your point about if the Abarth 500e Turismo is £38K then I would rather have a petrol X, Y or Z. However, my M2C is in that price range second hand and I just think I'm ready for a change. I WFH all the time now so it feels wasteful having such large finance deals for a car I don't touch, and when I do, it's £70 a top up. Or a service or warranty extension? That's £1K for you Sir! I think this Abarth has been well reviewed, felt great and is just what I've been looking for in the EV field that now's the right time for me.

All in all, I loved it. It's everything I've wanted from a EV but hasn't been done till now; Small, driver focused, has range closer to 200 miles than 100 miles and makes me want it. I put a deposit down and we're in the process of buying now. If you're really interested then please get a test drive @Atticus I think you'll love it.
                      Fair play. Sounds like you've hit the sweet spot with the Abarth. And it is a very different prospect to your M2. I've always loved hot hatches and as much as I bang on about stuff like the GR Four I would have to consider electric if I was buying something new and special (which I'm a million miles from at prez ). I remember driving my mate's BMW i3 and then getting back into my own car ... and it felt like an ancient relic.

Keep us posted Wools. I would imagine a fair wait for anything new these days but looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it.

Comment

That Abarth looks cute and menacing in black... really like it but then I've always loved hot hatches (and Mini's in particular).

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Fair play. Sounds like you've hit the sweet spot with the Abarth. And it is a very different prospect to your M2. I've always loved hot hatches and as much as I bang on about stuff like the GR Four I would have to consider electric if I was buying something new and special (which I'm a million miles from at prez ). I remember driving my mate's BMW i3 and then getting back into my own car ... and it felt like an ancient relic.

Keep us posted Wools. I would imagine a fair wait for anything new these days but looking forward to seeing and hearing all about it.
                          You make a good point about jumping from petrol to electric and then petrol feeling like a relic. There's no question that a great, manual petrol car is such a more involving and exciting drive. But as 95% of all my driving is travel and not track driving, the 1 gear, electric powertrain is so much better an experience on normal roads.

On that note, the Abarth dream is over! I was already having some doubts (Low range, high price and some opinions I've only just heard) but the dealer ****ed it up. They spent over a week not replying, then cocked up 1 document which they filled in. When I corrected them, they then said my part ex was not worth what they quoted. When they re-done the figures, I could walk into a car on finance that was £6K more. At that point, I asked for my deposit back.

Spent some time this weekend looking at the lovely Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the MG4. The Ioniq 5 is lovey, looking like a Group B WRC car rendered through a video game from the 16-bit era. Great interior but slightly dead feel while driving that I was disappointed by. The MG4 looks nice front on, less keen on the side profile and the interior looks great from a far away design perspective, but cheap close up and in touch. But the headline takeaway for me is the MG4 has only a fraction less power, a fraction less range, slightly cheaper interior but costs less than £10K more than the Ioniq 5. And that's for a base model!

The MG4 I like is the MG4 Trophy Long Range in Orange (Because why would you not?) and it totals £33,190. The Ioniq 5 I like is the Ioniq 5 Ultimate (Which still lacks some features from the Trophy Long Range) and Hyundai want £49,954. Is the MG4 £16K less than the Ioniq 5? The cheaper interior is the giveaway but unless you're loaded and don't care, I would sacrifice £16K to loose some leather seats and better design, to get more car.

Still not sold as I prefer the exterior and interior design of the Ioniq 5, but if anyone here is considering an EV and think Tesla, Nissan and Hyundai are the only options, then please take a look at what the recently (Re!)blossoming MG are offering for your money. It's seriously impressive.

Also, putting the MG4 into sports mode and the car takes off like a big BMW 325i, with rear wheel drive and uncorrupted steering, it will win you over!
                          Last edited by Wools; 10-09-2023, 16:17.

Comment

And now I've talked to a dealer and realised I can get a good finance deal on a Cupra Born... The well gets deeper!

Comment

And now I've talked to a dealer and realised I can get a good finance deal on a Cupra Born... The well gets deeper!
                              Check out https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/latest

Some of them have got a Cupra Born on there and there’s plenty of impressions.

Comment

Love the Cupra Born and VW ID.3 ... they're like proper cars of the future looking.

A was a passenger in one recently (the VW) and it was super nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X