The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    If I ever see someone else in an FSti, we both crash off the road in shock.
    Saw a gorgeous white fsti with gold wheels local to me the other week in a halfords, absolutely perfect condition, great example.

I do have a massive soft spot for fsti’s, just such an odd ball great all rounder that shouldn’t be so good but is.

Comment

A friend with a 330i was a bit astonished when I railed the foz around some roundabouts in the wet, foot to the floor.

Comment

Spent the last few weeks getting my car ship-shape with new exhaust, pads and discs, service ... all nice to get through MOT ... running the nicest it has for years.

This afternoon I think I undid all that by somehow neglecting to put the handbrake on on my mother in law's drive when I picked the kids up (they walk there after school) ... car rolled all the way down the drive, across the road, up a kerb and into a wall. And now it drives like a crab So annoyed at myself.

Comment

nooooooo

Comment

Well after a thorough check today it seems it's not as bad as I initially thought. Fingers crossed it's mostly (if not all) cosmetic.

Comment

I once ran myself over with the mgb when I’d forgetton the handbrake was disconnected

Comment

Ouch!! My bro told me about someone he works with who did that too, but she broke her pelvis in the process. I think I've been really lucky here. Lucky not to have wrecked my car and lucky not to have wrecked someone else's / hurt anyone.

Comment

I got knocked back flat onto my arse so my legs were fully extended under the car, I had both hands at chest height, “caught the car” in one of those super human moments, managed to wedge my leg up locking the car in place. I managed to just reach my long rachet and push some random tools behind both rear wheels. I had a huge jet black bruise just above knee, I was very lucky, when it first pushed me over I though I was going out into the street underneath it.

Comment

That sounds properly scary. A situation literally well handled.

Comment

Review: I've been driving a Seat Leon (version unknown - no model badge afaict) for a few days. I'd had no idea how bad everyday modern cars would feel. Or don't feel. I feel nothing. No feedback through the wheel. Clutch is like a guessing game. No engine braking. Turning the wheel quickly from side to side does nothing except tip the car a lot. Feels like I'm driving a barge. It feels so heavy. Scared myself stupid going round the college roundabout at a slower than normal speed - it just went straight on... Bumps mid corner? Say your prayers.

Wing mirrors are stylish but useless for actually seeing out the back. So quiet in the cabin I now realise why I pull over to let ambulances go by, but always get overtaken by a few other cars first before they realise. I feel like falling asleep at the wheel due to sensory deprivation.

This isn't just because I drive a relatively sporty old car (Subaru STi). My old 1.6GL Ford Orion was more fun to drive than the detached experience the last few days have had to offer.

Nothing makes sense on the controls front either. It took me ages to locate the normal driving lights.... I guess once you've seen it you know but.... And the temperature control has an AC logo on it, but for no reason - turns out the AC button is elsewhere (and no there's not an auto mode). Also who's idea was it to use mouse-style scroll wheels on the steering wheel? I keep brushing them while turning the wheel, so radio volume changes or dashboard focus info changes.

On the plus side, the engine is decent enough with only minor injection map issues, and the brakes are plenty powerful enough, although the servo is well over powered. Apologies to passengers (and cars tailgating me).

Also funny is how hard I kept on smashing the clutch pedal into footwell the first few times - my normal clutch is a heavy beasty. The Leon one is definitely less tiring in traffic.

Auto engine stop start is nice. I do it manually in mine.

Summary: The windscreen wipers are amazing. 🤣

Comment

I can't do with the disconnected feeling of drive-by-wire cars, I need to feel the grip through the steering wheel or I can't ever feel comfortable.

1990s is as new as I can go, currently with this old Primera 2.0 eGT that I've had for years and have no intention of selling. If it was in Gran Turismo 1, it's alright by me.

Comment

Those old Primera GTs had a cracking engine and could easily keep up with a contemporary Golf GTi.

charlesr, reading your experiences with the Leon is actually quite amusing. You’re very much used to your Scoobie and a modern car will feel utterly sanitized by comparison. But in all fairness the MQB chassis is actually pretty good. I have a MQB chassis Passat and you can punt it along and it’s easy to trust. Yes modern motors have less feel and feedback and I wholeheartedly agree about the brakes being over assisted but that’s where we are with electric power steering and all the modern safety systems unfortunately.
                          I’m surprised you found difficulties with the controls as VAG motors are usually very straightforward set and forget stuff.
                          The increased focus on technology and connectivity in modern cars is something I’m not keen on and moving so much stuff onto touchscreen controls is flat out wrong. Such screens are not good in a moving vehicle.

Comment

Hehehe, "VAG" motors...

Comment

Hahah good one.

Comment

[MENTION=2447]EvilBoris[/MENTION]

Had this Volvo long enough to give a more rounded review of it I think. Drives pretty well. Has a bit of oomph if you want it. Very planted on the corners, especially considering its size. I’ve averaged 33mpg. 90% of my driving is commuting on 50mph roads with an occasional longer stretch.
                                I filled up from almost empty the other day and it cost over £90 so I reckon it must have a massive fuel tank. Noisier than my Mercedes in the cab as expected but not annoyingly so. Parking sensors overly cautious; panic mode continuous tone means you’ve got half a metre left lol.

All the controls make sense and are spaced well. Seats are comfy and hold you in place well. Boot is massive, rear seats fold in 3 places and go flat with the boot area without lifting the death up first if you know what I mean. In summary I’m pleased with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X