No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Top Gear can exclusively reveal that Shelby SuperCars (SSC) North America has set a new production car top speed record, hitting a VMAX of 331mph and setting a two-way average of 316.11mph on a seven-mile stretch of closed road just outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. Climb on board for the outrageous 0-331mph run as Top Gear is granted exclusive footage from the guys that are making the full feature-length documentary of this epic endeavour, landing later in the year."

Something I keep thinking about is that these cars that get to 300+ mph are ridiculous.
    You have to have a closed track to do it and nobody is ever going to reach these speeds IRL.
    I remember the Bugatti one on Top Gear and the track was so long you could see the curvature of the Earth.

I know nothing about cars, nothing, but would there be more practical use in inventing an engine that does 100 tops, but works differently to get there faster, because most motorways don't cater for 300+mph cars.

Comment

QC. They did, its called electric.

Comment

It's also incredibly dangerous in the hands of idiots. Recently the amount of cars that approach you on the motorway at ridiculous speeds after entering the lane is absurd. I feel like I'm going to be crashed into most days!

Comment

Just checked on the insurance for a GolfR before i did anything at all or even test drove one. £800 a year for someone with 14 years no claims and 36 years old.

F that with a big stick.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Just checked on the insurance for a GolfR before i did anything at all or even test drove one. £800 a year for someone with 14 years no claims and 36 years old.

F that with a big stick.
            Had the same sort of thing with the R & S3 & I'm 43 with 19 years NCB
            They are by all accounts the 2 most stolen cars in the country

Have you looked at a Leon Cupra 290??
            FWD only cousin to them...same engine but at 286Bhp
            Been eyeing up a Lux version myself (want heated seats) & insurance is WAY better for not much trade off really

Neil

Comment

Do you live in war zones? Golf R was £240 a year for me fully comp, 10k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                Do you live in war zones?
                Brilliant! That made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Do you live in war zones? Golf R was £240 a year for me fully comp, 10k miles.
                  Lol Nope but mine would on the road outside the house & my neck of the woods isn't the safest of areas really, we do have reasonably high crime rates in Basildon

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    Had the same sort of thing with the R & S3 & I'm 43 with 19 years NCB
                    They are by all accounts the 2 most stolen cars in the country

Have you looked at a Leon Cupra 290??
                    FWD only cousin to them...same engine but at 286Bhp
                    Been eyeing up a Lux version myself (want heated seats) & insurance is WAY better for not much trade off really

Neil
                    Heard nothing but bad things for reliability from the Cupra?

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      Lol Nope but mine would on the road outside the house & my neck of the woods isn't the safest of areas really, we do have reasonably high crime rates in Basildon

Neil
                      Im on Canvey. Yep the insurance said that on the phone, they get nicked more than any other car, though its the keyless ones that get nicked by the min, but either way their lumped in the same basket.

I don’t know why im moving away from the wrx wagon, does everything i need it too and goes fast, just fancy a change I guess and a treat to myself after all my hard work this year.
                      Last edited by fishbowlhead; 20-10-2020, 12:04.

Comment

Heard nothing but bad things for reliability from the Cupra?
                        Not heard of reliability issues myself but will investigate a bit more
                        Thinking as it's the same EA888 engine as the R & S3 it would have had same reliability but might be due to the FWD only...that said though VW run it in exactly the same time in the FWD TCR Golf
                        Might need a read up myself now

Im on Canvey. Yep the insurance said that on the phone, they get nicked more than any other car, though its the keyless ones that get nicked by the min, but either way their lumped in the same basket.

I don’t know why im moving away from the wrx wagon, does everything i need it too and goes fast, just fancy a change I guess and a treat to myself after all my hard work this year.
                        Lol didn't realise you were local
                        Shame they are that bad for being nicked as it's one of the reasons I'm holding off

Have you not considered the newer WRX STI?
                        I looked at one but genuinely can't be dealing with the monstrous Spoilers anymore...same reason the Civic Type-R isn't on my shortlist
                        What about a BMW 140M?
                        RWD & 360Bhp it's a freaking nutter to drive lol

Neil

Comment

I actually really like the new shape Subaru STI but those rubbish chocolate 2.5 engines are a disgrace so thats out.

Type Rs are a lovely driving car but god their so in your face, i like the styling, just not for a daily sitting on my drive.

BMW 140M. Just no, hate rear wheel drive cars, especially with power, just all over the place and awful in bad conditions.

Comment

I actually really like the new shape Subaru STI but those rubbish chocolate 2.5 engines are a disgrace so thats out.

Type Rs are a lovely driving car but god their so in your face, i like the styling, just not for a daily sitting on my drive.

BMW 140M. Just no, hate rear wheel drive cars, especially with power, just all over the place and awful in bad conditions.
                            I like the shape of the STI but that wing is just bonkers
                            I'd have preferred them to have kept the Hatchback personally
                            Didn't realise the engines are terrible now though

Yep the Type-R is just way too OTT for me styling wise

Oh god when I drive the 140 I honestly thought I was going to die...it was bonkers quick
                            Hate to think what it would be like in the wet
                            Still surprises me that they haven't made the M cars 4WD these days

Neil

Comment

Surprised to hear about reliability issues with the Cupra. Couple of lads on my shift have them and enjoy a fair bit of spirited driving. One of the guys also has the car producing a fair bit more poke too and it’s been fine.

Comment

Just had a look on torque gt, they currently have a Hatchback sti spec C. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Working...
                                X