No announcement yet.

The Car Thread: Mark III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The person who owned it before me had a remap at the dealership (he works there as well) uprated to 300bhp and 290ft torque, so its a lot through the fronts on summer tyres in winter, plus with the torque kicking in at 1700rpm its effortlessly quick and easy to spin in this weather.

Went round to my local today but they were rammed so will call them tomorrow now for a price.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      I don't know about the UK, but in mainland Europe soon diesel engines won't be allowed in urban areas, and I think Germany is already doing that in major cities across the country. If you plan to do a driving vacation around Europe in the following years, diesel is going to be a nuissance.
      We're not part of the EU anymore so their rules don't apply to me and I'll drive my diesel through all those major European cities and there's nothing they can do about it. Ah, so liberating, taking back control. ;-)

Comment

Just found out from the GT86 owners Forums the Fight Club rules for my GT862017MY.

https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/2491-chips-and-dinks/

Never get behind/beside trucks
        Never get behind SUVs

I went to Toyota yesterday to get the very common de laminated rimless Rear view mirror replaced under Warranty , and on the way back went behind a truck on some 50/70mph roads and it chipped my windscreen (Autoglass repair £25 through insurance does not affect no claims) and did about 3 stone chips it seems all at the same time. Found out Subaru paint especially on bumpers is the softest paint in the world, closely followed by Toyota.Someone said in some part to the way car paint now has no lead in it. Touched up the stone chips today, but apparently Aero dynamics of the car allow stones flow freely to the bumper windscreen and roof.
        Last edited by JU!; 05-01-2021, 12:32.

Comment

New top of the range Tesla model S has 500mile range and can do 0-60 in..........2 seconds. Two.... seconds, jaw hits floor.

Ok then. All the fiesta boys with big spoilers are going to be mighty mad when this thing hits the streets.

Comment

New Lotus model incoming 2021/22 and this year will be the final year of production for the Elise/Exige/Evora. I’ve been incredibly well behaved and haven’t bought a car in at least two years much to my wife’s surprise, this news may bring an end to that......

Comment

I honestly thought the lotus brand was defunct.

Comment

I suppose if you’re not interested in that sector of cars there’s no reason you should, they’re a small scale manufacturer. New ownership by Geely (who own Volvo among others) gives them access to funds and tech they’ve never had. Best drivers cars I’ve ever owned.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  New Lotus model incoming 2021/22 and this year will be the final year of production for the Elise/Exige/Evora. I’ve been incredibly well behaved and haven’t bought a car in at least two years much to my wife’s surprise, this news may bring an end to that......
                  That's sad news
                  I have always loved the Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora
                  Always been beautiful cars & I have wanted to try one but will forever be something I enjoy from a far

Will be super interested to see if you do get one

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  I honestly thought the lotus brand was defunct.
                  To be honest I've not paid much attention to that area of cars but can see why you'd think that...very rarely see any on the roads

Going back to [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] talking about a new car purchase & it's looking likely that I will be replacing the Mazda this year, but I just wondered on everyone's thoughts about this new influx of online only dealers like Cazoo, Cinch etc.

I for one think they are an awful idea
                  I know they offer their money back guarantee but if like me you're a one car household & getting a new car means you get rid of the old one at the same time, then the one you buy turns out to be a real dog & you need to return it, then you're car less & in a real issue

Obviously I wouldn't dream of buying that way but one of the issues I'm finding is that a good half of all the cars I'm looking at are for sale through these online only sellers & that's proving to be a pain in the backside

Neil

Comment

Yeah @Soundwave, that trio of Lotus cars were a great line up. I always wanted an Exige but my crappy back wasn't a fan as they're not the easiest to get in and out of. Having driven a V6 380 though I can honestly say I've never driven anything that handles better, incredible cars. I ended up going for this the last time I owned one which I bought from brand new, I think I was actually the first person (or at least in the first couple) to own an Evora 400 in Scotland.

Funny thing is that photo is outside our old unit and in the background is the one car I truly regret selling, my old Saab estate which I owned for about seven years and adored. So many 'fancy' cars came and went during its time, but it stuck around. To be fair the brand new Volvo that replaced it has been equally reliable though. Scandi build quality!

Not sure what these car sales places are but it sounds majorly risky, is this something that has developed out of the pandemic?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                      Yeah @Soundwave, that trio of Lotus cars were a great line up. I always wanted an Exige but my crappy back wasn't a fan as they're not the easiest to get in and out of. Having driven a V6 380 though I can honestly say I've never driven anything that handles better, incredible cars. I ended up going for this the last time I owned one which I bought from brand new, I think I was actually the first person (or at least in the first couple) to own an Evora 400 in Scotland.

Funny thing is that photo is outside our old unit and in the background is the one car I truly regret selling, my old Saab estate which I owned for about seven years and adored. So many 'fancy' cars came and went during its time, but it stuck around. To be fair the brand new Volvo that replaced it has been equally reliable though. Scandi build quality!

Not sure what these car sales places are but it sounds majorly risky, is this something that has developed out of the pandemic?
                      I have adored them since inception
                      To be fair I do think I'd have taken the Exige over the Elise
                      I love the way it looks but with the fixed roof as well it would just be more serviceable & useable
                      I love that one you had it's achingly beautiful
                      Reckon it was an absolute hoot to drive

Lol Saab certainly built a good workhorse in their day such a shame they bowed out
                      I always coveted a 9-3 Aero Hot they were just something special

Yeah they seem to have appeared out of the Pandemic & seem to be growing traction too
                      As I said the worst bit is just not really knowing what you're getting before it turns up & you are pretty much stuck then as you'll be car less if you return it & you've already made all the effort to insure it & tax it
                      Think it's bed practice really

The other thing is as I mentioned as well...they seem to just hoover up all available stock as a good half of everything on Autotrader seems to be in stock with one of these companies
                      Makes looking harder & harder

Neil

Comment

I wouldn’t trust one of those wear house car companies as far as I could throw them. Hear nothing but horror stories with bad motors being bought and they just stonewall you.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 28-01-2021, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          I wouldn’t trust one of theose wear house car companies as far as I could throw them. Hear nothing but horror stories with bad motors being bought and they just stonewall you.
                          Exactly
                          Ones like Big Motoring World or Motorpoint aren't too bad as you can at least visit them & see the cars

These online only ones though are just a horrible idea & I fully expect the experience would be awful

Neil

Comment

The online-only ones are selling junk - I had a flick through and it's pretty obvious from the specs/mileages that they're a mixture of high mileage ex-fleet and former Motability stuff. Same kind of rubbish they used to sell at Yes Car Credit type places - the things main dealers don't want to sell as approved used.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              The online-only ones are selling junk - I had a flick through and it's pretty obvious from the specs/mileages that they're a mixture of high mileage ex-fleet and former Motability stuff. Same kind of rubbish they used to sell at Yes Car Credit type places - the things main dealers don't want to sell as approved used.
                              Yep & sadly due to the way restrictions are at the moment there seems to be more cars for sale through them than anyone else

Speaking of cars anyone have any thoughts on Alfa Romeo's

Been spending far too much time looking at the Giulia at the moment (& a little less time at the Stelvio SUV)
                              Looks achingly beautiful & in Veloce trim the 277Bhp is damn tempting

Similar price to a 330i BMW but just sooo much better looking.

Might seriously consider trying one once lockdown is over

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                                Speaking of cars anyone have any thoughts on Alfa Romeo's

Been spending far too much time looking at the Giulia at the moment (& a little less time at the Stelvio SUV)
                                Looks achingly beautiful & in Veloce trim the 277Bhp is damn tempting

Similar price to a 330i BMW but just sooo much better looking.

Might seriously consider trying one once lockdown is over

Neil
                                I have a Giulietta Veloce and I love it!

I just enjoy owning a car that isn’t that popular. I guess a wiser man would have bought a Golf GTI as it’s probably a better car all round but I prefer something a bit different. Not had any serious issues with this or my previous Giulietta too.

I’ll probably get a Giulia Veloce TI for my next car as they don’t make the Giulietta anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X