No announcement yet.

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of them share roots in old legends that predate the religions by thousands of years, being adapted and integrated. The monomyth, essentially. I saw a good article deconstructing Jesus once that basically made the case that there is no way he could have been real because of how closely every part of his story can be traced back to older stories, like he is a cover version rather than any hint of a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      We're in massive sidetrack territory here but I need to read up on other religions figures. Like, to me Jesus is just one massive fabrication, a plot device to be used to facilitate other intents, but despite the opposition many religions have to one another they often share a lot of common traits and it'd be interesting to know how far that goes. Not so much from a belief angle, just how humans form different locations can come up with differing belief systems that are built on very similar foundations, the psychology behind that.
      Way to offend Christians, dude!

I would suggest reading the gospel of Thomas (not found in the Bible) for a different portrayal of Jesus. He sounds (to me) much more human in that. Much more real. He sounds knowing and uncertain. He sounds enlightened.

Comment

That's what you get when they pay for a better writer

Comment

It's more a collection of quotes by Jesus than an account of his life so quite different to the canonical gospels.

Comment

"Things you can make with a bunch of good hardwood 2x4s"

Comment

I'm not up on the history of Jesus but he more than likely existed and the reason his story sometimes matches elements of older myths is because after his death certain attributes were given to him. Like his date of birth and other things were altered, supposedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                "Things you can make with a bunch of good hardwood 2x4s"

Comment

If he existed, I'd view him as some sort of Hubbard cult starter

Comment

Working...
                  X